Club head speed measurement

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I dug up my old speed radar, it was random yesterday, so I looked up setting it up just in case. Today I set it up correctly.
Driver head speed
conventional swing 94-96mph
one plane 97-104mph average 101mph
3wood
93-94mph
5 wood
90-94 mph ( off the mat directly)
I thought my 3 wood and 5 wood were next to no difference in total yardage, just how they got there was different. I think I should drop the 3 wood as the 5 wood is long enough.

I need to look again at the driver swing speed, I was definitely tiring my self out and a no effort single plane was 98-99mph, fresh and stepping on it was 104mph... I will have to see if I can repeat that. But my goal was to get to 100mph, as that gives me 230+ yard carry which carries most hazards at my track.

Anyone got recommendations on a formula for distance, if smash factor efficiency is 1.37-1.43? Or any feedback on a garmin S80?

Springveldt

Visit site
I’d be careful with the swing speed radar readings. I have the blue one that superspeed recommends and it always reads faster than Trackman did.
e.g. at the range it was saying my speed was 109mph but when I was on Trackman a week later it was between 103-104mph.
Without a ball and swinging out my shoes I could get it to read my driver at 118mph.
Also a smash factor of 1.37-1.43 is really low for a driver, to carry over 230 with that efficiency you would need to be swinging faster than 100mph as I’m sure such poor strikes would affect spin as well.
Just had a look at a trackman session from last February and I was having a rough day. :)
1.39 smash at 99.3mph 2700 spin carry 220.
1.43 smash at 102.4mph 2450 spin 237 carry.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a look at a trackman session from last February and I was having a rough day. :)
1.39 smash at 99.3mph 2700 spin carry 220.
1.43 smash at 102.4mph 2450 spin 237 carry.
Yes I was using the blue speed radar.
I think for me the deficit between the normal swing and the one plane was interesting and the lack of difference between the 3 and 5 wood.
On your track man session did they look at the spin rates? Were you slightly open on impact to get the 1.39 and 2700?
I was trying to be pragmatic, I haven’t had a track man session, on my driver. The 7 iron I used to get my fitting was around 1.43-1.45.

Springveldt

Visit site
Yes I was using the blue speed radar.
I think for me the deficit between the normal swing and the one plane was interesting and the lack of difference between the 3 and 5 wood.
On your track man session did they look at the spin rates? Were you slightly open on impact to get the 1.39 and 2700?
I was trying to be pragmatic, I haven’t had a track man session, on my driver. The 7 iron I used to get my fitting was around 1.43-1.45.
Sounds like your fitting used a GC2? It doesn’t track the club head speed and instead just divides the ball speed by a set smash factor to guess the club head speed.
I think the max smash factor for a 7 iron on Trackman is around 1.33 (going by PGA Tour averages).
For a smash factor of 1.39 with a driver it means that you missed the centre of the club face (or as you say the face isn’t square) since the ball speed it way below what it should be, it’s like getting 139mph ball speed from a 100mph swing when a centre hit should generate 150mph ball speed.
Just checked and yes the face was 4.1 open to path on that hit.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like your fitting used a GC2? It doesn’t track the club head speed and instead just divides the ball speed by a set smash factor to guess the club head speed.
I think the max smash factor for a 7 iron on Trackman is around 1.33 (going by PGA Tour averages).
For a smash factor of 1.39 with a driver it means that you missed the centre of the club face (or as you say the face isn’t square) since the ball speed it way below what it should be, it’s like getting 139mph ball speed from a 100mph swing when a centre hit should generate 150mph ball speed.
Just checked and yes the face was 4.1 open to path on that hit.
I think he used skytrak.

Ectolani

Hacker
Visit site
Does anyone know how ball speed relates to club head speed?
I had a fitting at American Golf the other day and my ball speed was 156mph with ~260 yards of carry, however the stated clubhead speed was only 97mph which doesn't make a lot of sense as that's giving a smash factor of 1.6 but I thought that maxed out at 1.5?

It was on a trackman but not sure which one it was.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a fitting at American Golf the other day and my ball speed was 156mph with ~260 yards of carry, however the stated clubhead speed was only 97mph which doesn't make a lot of sense as that's giving a smash factor of 1.6 but I thought that maxed out at 1.5?

It doesn’t make sense as you would really need to have a speed of 102-105 mph to achieve that.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is so low at the moment it would struggle to get a speeding ticket...

Can’t complain about the straightness of my shots though...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah I'm wondering which measurement is more accurate, or if AG do anything sneaky to inflate their figures so you think you're hitting it further than you actually are.

I know of several stores that do that. I am sure it isn't common practice but would certainly be assist sales. The only time I look at SS is off Toptracer at a range. Even then not the be all for me. I would rather be more efficient with my technique (via lessons) and let speed change naturally and would rather aim to be short and out of trouble and use the shots accordingly

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically I am trying to swing as efficiently as I can. I was experimenting with the swing type .. I think it’s efficient

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So has any one got a garmin G80 and used the launch monitor?
Skytrak would be nice but the wife wants the bathrooms done and given the way stuff is at the moment I want some cushion money just in case I get another day time tv opportunity!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

It was that famous AG branch in La Paz at altitude in The Andes, I presume. Either that or you have a club with a face that adds energy to your swing speed.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
So has any one got a garmin G80 and used the launch monitor?
Skytrak would be nice but the wife wants the bathrooms done and given the way stuff is at the moment I want some cushion money just in case I get another day time tv opportunity!

I dont have any experience with the Garmin but I do have a Flightscope Mevo, it's a fantastic piece of kit although it's swing speed is a little suspect. Ball speed on the other hand is very accurate as is the carry accuracy. I've been using it to track my ball speed as I'm trying to increase it by doing some overspeed training.