Club Fittings - science in action or snake oil for sale?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Speaking of an analogy - Would you rather have a suit tailored or off the rack? Fittings will benefit you more than not having one. Saying it won't and that everyone is stupid is frankly worthy of a throat punch followed by a kick in the knackers.

G

guest100718

Speaking of an analogy - Would you rather have a suit tailored or off the rack? Fittings will benefit you more than not having one. Saying it won't and that everyone is stupid is frankly worthy of a throat punch followed by a kick in the knackers.

All the analogies are stupid. As is one about a suit.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, all the various analogies just show the woolly thinking, handwaving justification, for the pseudo science. It is these half a ring of truth platitudes that the custom fit industry trades on.
Its like the one about tooth brushes. We all go to our dentist and get custom fitted for our toothbrushes dont we ? Of course we do - we all have different mouths, shapes of teeth, numbers and sizes of teeth, etc. How could you possible clean your teeth with a standard brush. I know ! Crazy ! Sure, it was fine decades ago for people to just buy a toothbrush in the supermarket or chemist (its true there would be shelves full of them !). But we have moved on from that in care of our teeth. And we have the technology for full 3-D image capture of our teeth profiles and geometry, jaw movement etc, which allows the dentist to specify the correct toothbrush for each of us. He sends the spec to the Colgate or whoever, and they make one according to the specs supplied to ensure optimum care for our teeth. So, surely, like we all use custom made toothbrushes, we should all use custom fitted golf clubs.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The word is you're.

That wasnt really the element of his post that was offending me ! ;)

Anyway, Alex makes a very fine and cogent argument. The logic is impeccable. Yes. I am wrong. His presentation and justification in the defence of custom fitting is very winning.
I am converted !

Last edited:

Alucard

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you are happy with your swing and have finished tinkering with it then custom fitting is ok and certainly can not do any harm.

If you are working on your swing and changing it in any major way to improve the way you play then it stands to reason you will need a new custom fit to incorporate ant major swing changes you made, just like if you put weight on after purchasing a tailor made suit etc.

There are many people that can play standard clubs of one brand or another very well as they fit themselves by trying many different clubs until they found a set they could hit and could see they can ht and feel utra comfortable with them.
There are others that used the Ping Dot system to get fit so that the club sits correctly at address (provided that they have been shown how to hold a club and how it should sit at address.

Anyone who is 6 feet 4 or more or 5 foot one or less must automatically realise that off the shelf clubs probably will not do for them unless they are simple minded and this will be seen at address (provided they have gone to see a good teaching pro which any new starter surely must do firstly)

Then there are those that need the added confidence that a fitting can bring them to eliminate any self doubt that they mat have about their equipment being to blame instead of their own poor golf swings, and then there are those that do not care and can adapt to most clubs and shoot low scores regardless.

It is one of these things where some like it and some do not think it matters and neither side is right as it is what works for each individual and it is up to each individual.
The proof will be in the scores they shoot on the Golf course. The main thing is that everyone enjoys playing the game when they are lucky enough to get the chance to play.

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure, the tour players just get their clubs off the shelf, along with Sir Bradders with his bike in next 5 min?

G

guest100718

I'm sure, the tour players just get their clubs off the shelf, along with Sir Bradders with his bike in next 5 min?

Exactly. ........ at the elite level it may offer some small benefit. But for club players. Not so much.

Go and read what claims are made about custom fit and tell me if they sound true.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Exactly. ........ at the elite level it may offer some small benefit. But for club players. Not so much.

Go and read what claims are made about custom fit and tell me if they sound true.

Completely arse about face. Less benefit for elite players as they have much more talent to be able to cope with the misfitting club.

Why don't you actually provide some constructive debate rather than calling every analogy stupid and telling everyone to go and find your evidence for you?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here is one for you,

Patrick Reid was interviewed one day recently and asked how he managed to play so much better today than he had the pervious day.

His reply was that he had been given a new driver and shaft that he felt more comfortable with. He said the day before he couldn't get any drives within 50 yards of where he was aiming. The following day he was piping his new driver and even felt like he could go after it.

The thing is. He had been fitted for both drivers at one stage. Has a better more repeatable swing than any amateur, yet our once a driver purchase fitting is supposed be 'right for us'.

My view is that is worthwhile getting something vaguely suitable, loft wise, shaft wise etc. It is certainly fun and educational using different options to get a feel for what you like and just as importantly, dislike. You can play good golf with any old clubs, it can be made that bit easier with clubs set up for you. Golf will remain a hard game, you don't have to fight the tools of the game too.

G

guest100718

Completely arse about face. Less benefit for elite players as they have much more talent to be able to cope with the misfitting club.

Why don't you actually provide some constructive debate rather than calling every analogy stupid and telling everyone to go and find your evidence for you?

Wiggins uses his bike as a golf club?

I've looked and can't find anything concrete. Just wild claims and stupid analogies.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've played with people at my club and off here that have been fitted and they still knob if off the tee, carve it off the tee, fat and thin their irons 😜 being fitted does not overly help a handicap golfer as a handicap golfer will be inconsistent in many areas of their game which no amount of fitting can help!

Loft & lie adjustment yes,, knowing what shaft you need to match your speed, yes, full fitting no, unless you need a some mental stimuli.

D

Deleted member 18588

I've played with people at my club and off here that have been fitted and they still knob if off the tee, carve it off the tee, fat and thin their irons  being fitted does not overly help a handicap golfer as a handicap golfer will be inconsistent in many areas of their game which no amount of fitting can help!

Loft & lie adjustment yes,, knowing what shaft you need to match your speed, yes, full fitting no, unless you need a some mental stimuli.

What is a "full fitting"?

If you are "fitted" for a specific shaft, had lofts and lies adjusted aside from grips what else can a "full fitting" provide?

Oohmeoldbacksknackered

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All top athletes use every bit of science to squeeze every second, yard or whatever out of their performance. Froome's bike is fitted for him, because in the long run it helps. Although he is quite capable of successfully riding other bikes. It maximises his performance. I'll bet they even tweak it between difference sections of a race (scoundrels)
Top golfers want every yard they can get (they're not so different to us...), as tightly grouped as possible, every day. So they use science to max out on everything.And they don't do it once, it's an ongoing process - the human body isn't a machine, some days different things need tweaking. No brain surgery needed to understand that, I hope.
We have access to the same science, but it costs, so people see different levels of value in it.
So I get the argument that it's of varying value to amateurs, but that's up to us as individuals to decide. As is the value in buying a £100 driver over a £300 driver.
I hope no one out there would be arrogant enough to tell me what value of club is, or isn't worth buying.
Similarly, if anyone were to suggest that there is no value in fitting for anyone, that's incredibly naive.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, all the various analogies just show the woolly thinking, handwaving justification, for the pseudo science. It is these half a ring of truth platitudes that the custom fit industry trades on.
Its like the one about tooth brushes. We all go to our dentist and get custom fitted for our toothbrushes dont we ? Of course we do - we all have different mouths, shapes of teeth, numbers and sizes of teeth, etc. How could you possible clean your teeth with a standard brush. I know ! Crazy ! Sure, it was fine decades ago for people to just buy a toothbrush in the supermarket or chemist (its true there would be shelves full of them !). But we have moved on from that in care of our teeth. And we have the technology for full 3-D image capture of our teeth profiles and geometry, jaw movement etc, which allows the dentist to specify the correct toothbrush for each of us. He sends the spec to the Colgate or whoever, and they make one according to the specs supplied to ensure optimum care for our teeth. So, surely, like we all use custom made toothbrushes, we should all use custom fitted golf clubs.

Ye I use the same size as my 5 year old.... oh, wait, no I dont... I use a larger one than her...

Its not really my intent to talk you round. I don't care what clubs you use, it just seems a shame your bagging on something you clearly know nothing about. Perhaps educate yourself.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is a "full fitting"?

If you are "fitted" for a specific shaft, had lofts and lies adjusted aside from grips what else can a "full fitting" provide?

I guess static fit and dynamic fit is what he means.

A full fitting with someone who knows what they are on about would be the static fit, so length, loft lie, grip size, grip shape. Then you are into shaft weight, where the weight is in the shaft, flex, where the flex is in the shaft. Shaft orientation, swing weight. With adjustable clubs do you want to be using a degree more and knocking loft off to open the face or the reverse, how the distance fits your bag, how the ball lands and so on and so on.

An example of this is that I was not getting good use out of a 3 wood but wanted a club that on occasion I could get to the par 5s below regulation. We put together a hybrid with 17* and a low/low heavy shaft. It was a case of having a bullet flight that conditions permitting can creep/roll up onto the par 5 greens in two. More use all round for me than a 3 wood, not going to fly as high but can be used off the tee and still get out there. There is no substitute for swing speed but I am not going to gain any of that so lets see if we can make the numbers work for us in another way.... Custom fit... its only physics, entirely quantifiable physics.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

As many of the people on here who advocate fitting are also those who claim to be "working on their game/swing" one could be forgiven for thinking that, for those, a fitting may be pointless unless, like Tour pro's , it is constantly reviewed.

If their swing evolves and becomes flatter or more upright then the previously fitted clubs will no longer be suited to them as the lie angle will be out. Similarly if their transition slows down the shaft could then be too stiff and vice versa.

Overall I see nothing wrong with club players having clubs fitted but too many then think that it is the answer to "every young maiden's prayers" when it isn't.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
As many of the people on here who advocate fitting are also those who claim to be "working on their game/swing" one could be forgiven for thinking that, for those, a fitting may be pointless unless, like Tour pro's , it is constantly reviewed.

If their swing evolves and becomes flatter or more upright then the previously fitted clubs will no longer be suited to them as the lie angle will be out. Similarly if their transition slows down the shaft could then be too stiff and vice versa.

Overall I see nothing wrong with club players having clubs fitted but too many then think that it is the answer to "every young maiden's prayers" when it isn't.

Its unlikely someone will change their tempo, loft and lie should be checked every year. That aside, I don't think anyone thinks its the answer, I think we are a bunch of golf addicts who enjoy every aspect of the game and this can be part of it.

it really is not about sticking in the next shaft and gaining x yards, its about getting your whole bag put together to work together and work with you.

I have not seen anyone suggest that its in any way instead of skill or practice.