Club competition ties VS Joe public member

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Went out tonight for a game with my mate, on arrival at the club I was on time for my allocated slot, checked in and as our shop is run by volunteers it was an ex captain working, who said to me, there's a few ties playing behind you so you'll need to zip round and not hold them up. Hackles went up ! Haha There was a full tee sheet behind us which I think had 4 ties behind me, to which I was a little miffed at him saying tbh, so I told him the guys playing the tie pay the same money as me and he shouldn't be harassing us. So we went out at 4.30, we quickly caught the 4 ball in front around the 4th. They weren't slow and were within their allocated time, and weren't significantly down on the group in front so they just played on and never let us through. Come to the 8th, and I noticed the 2 ball behind us had let the first tie through, so even though we ourselves were being held up we show a wee bit courtesy and we let the tie through on 9. Which resulted in much hanging about letting them go etc, by the time we played 10 the next tie had been let through by the 2 ball behind us again and were on our tail. We were already stuck behind 2 fourballs now as the original 4 ball hadn't let the tie through, which they are entitled to do IMO, so we are all queuing up when the group behind said to me at 13, can we play through as we are playing a tie, to which I told him No, you can wait your turn, we were all waiting and there was nowhere for him to go, I wanted round and home aswell. Queue much moaning and huffing and puffing, no groups were slow granted one was kinda holding us up but still well within the allocated round time. There was plenty of time for everyone to get round before dark so why is it people playing ties seem to think they have to divine right to play through other groups? What's your clubs stance on this? Given my situation tonight do people really just expect us to stand aside every couple holes and let them through because they are playing a tie?? Are people playing ties given more rights than the rest of us? IMO they have no more rights than any other person playing and they should just wait their turn.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ties as you call them have priority at ours , as do inter club matches . Have been let through and have let ties behind through on numerous occasions and all with a hearty good luck :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Matches get priority at my club but most use common sense and won't bother if they can see the course ahead is busy. I always give them the option and expect to be given it in return (and normally disappointed!)

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Inter club matches?, like one golf course versus another? Our tee is blocked off for and hour or so for those.
The ties tonight were just guys playing the summer knockout or whatever that can be arranged between themselves for any time, it just so happened 4 of them seemed to have arranged it for the same time on the same night, they weren't all together in a team or anything.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Inter club matches?, like one golf course versus another? Our tee is blocked off for and hour or so for those.
The ties tonight were just guys playing the summer knockout or whatever that can be arranged between themselves for any time, it just so happened 4 of them seemed to have arranged it for the same time on the same night, they weren't all together in a team or anything.

Yes inter club matches do have blocked out tee times but at this time of year there will be at least 4 or 5 Knockout matches ( Ties ) being played every evening and they all have priority on the course and can be seen as such on BRS as they are coloured out as Competition match

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think it's a 'rule' at our place but the etiquette is to let any match through - be that a club comp or an inter-club match. I am interested that you mention that the group holding everyone up were OK in your eyes as they were within their allocated time.

In any case. If I go out in front of a match I know I am risking having to let the whole match through. Just how it is. If I wanted to play at that specific time I'd probably start on our 10th.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Any matches have priority on our course, more so they are usually two-balls so if you're in a 3 or 4-ball there going to be quicker so just let them through when you can and then relax and enjoy your round rather than have someone on your tail.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think it's a 'rule' at our place but the etiquette is to let any match through - be that a club comp or an inter-club match. I am interested that you mention that the group holding everyone up were OK in your eyes as they were within their allocated time.

In any case. If I go out in front of a match I know I am risking having to let the whole match through. Just how it is. If I wanted to play at that specific time I'd probably start on our 10th.

That's what I meant, I so t think it's a "rule" anywhere. Sure if there's fading light and they need to get round or they are hanging about waiting all the time and there a big space in front of you let them go. Other than that I don't see why they should have any more standing on the course than anyone else.
I mentioned the group in front as being ok in my eyes because as a 4 ball they were actually reasonably quick. If they had kept the same pace all the way round that they had on the front 9 they would easily have been round in about 3.40. Well under our allocated time for 18 holes. Those guys have the right to enjoy their game, they have families to get home to aswell. Why should they need to step aside every hole to let ties through and end up taking 4.30 to get round.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In the same way, why should a 2 ball be forced to take 3 hrs 40 when they could be round in 3 hrs or less.?
Etiquette dictates that you should let faster groups through - the fact that the 4 ball were ahead of time is admirable but largely irrelevant.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In the same way, why should a 2 ball be forced to take 3 hrs 40 when they could be round in 3 hrs or less.?
Etiquette dictates that you should let faster groups through - the fact that the 4 ball were ahead of time is admirable but largely irrelevant.

I got the impression that the OP is in a 2-ball too and being held up by the (albeit quick) 4-ball

So asking if a social 2-ball should make way for a match 2-ball if the social pair are being held up by a 4 and could easily play quicker if they themselves were let through

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Apologies for hijacking this thread slightly however Imurg's post is interesting and I generally agree however at what point is there (if such a point exists) that you'd stop letting people through?

Reason I ask is that last week I went for a hack round with a group of friends in a 3 ball. When we tee'd off it was millionaires golf and it seemed we had the course to ourselves.

However, by the time we'd reached the 5th tee box we had a singleton catch us so we let him through. On the 7th another single then the same on the 8th and 9th. So by the turn we'd let 4 singles through and it was disruptive to our game.

On the back 9 we (rightly or wrongly) didn't let anyone else through even though there seemed to be an endless number of guys out for a post round thrash. When we got in there were immediate complaints made about our group and our failure to let people through however in our opinion it's a failure of the pro shop to let out so many singles, couldn't they have been asked to play together?

Like I said, always happy to let faster players through however with the situation of having an usually high number of singles out it felt as though we were spending a lot of our time stopping to let others come through!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with the op on this. I think it's an old fashioned view that certain people have priority. Why should an inter club knockout be able to push past you? Just because something has always happened in a particular way doesn't make it right. It's a rule I'd change, #equalstandingforall 😁

G

guest100718

I'm with the op on this. I think it's an old fashioned view that certain people have priority. Why should an inter club knockout be able to push past you? Just because something has always happened in a particular way doesn't make it right. It's a rule I'd change, #equalstandingforall 

id agree, I have seen the reverse a few times. Where a 4 ball in a match are holding everyone else up just because they say they dont have to let anyone through.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I got the impression that the OP is in a 2-ball too and being held up by the (albeit quick) 4-ball

So asking if a social 2-ball should make way for a match 2-ball if the social pair are being held up by a 4 and could easily play quicker if they themselves were let through

Yeah, it's the 4 ball's fault. They're forcing groups of 2 balls, social and competitive, to play at 4 ball pace...if the 4 ball let's the OP through then there's unlikely to be a problem.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When we played Kings Lynn last month. Our tee time was put back 3/4 HR from what we had provisionally booked because the women's team had a match. We thought it was very poor that they never let us know. Anyway the tee off time was at 12.30. We were on the first tee at 12.15 and the last two ball was walking down the first. Our fourball followed them all the way around the course to the 16th where they shook hands and walked off. However whilst waiting on a par three behind the last two ball who were waiting for the two ball in front of them. Two guys behind us who were members where moaning like the clappers about slow play. It didn't seem that slow, we were informed " it's always the same when they have a match". We teed off and then noticed they had paired up with the two ball behind them. Couldn't understand the moaning. It was a glorious day. The golf was p,aged at a decent rate of play. After that hole we were not held up again.
gorgeous course Kings Lynn.

D

Deleted member 15344

As with anything it's all about common sense - we will always give priority to a two ball playing in a club KO or Foursomes - it's common courtesy for me and they are always going to play quicker by the nature of their game - to not even think about it imo shows a lack of awareness of pace of play on the course. Why would you want to hold up a match ?

Always imo allow the quicker group through - that's the etiquette required imo

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Apologies for hijacking this thread slightly however Imurg's post is interesting and I generally agree however at what point is there (if such a point exists) that you'd stop letting people through?

Reason I ask is that last week I went for a hack round with a group of friends in a 3 ball. When we tee'd off it was millionaires golf and it seemed we had the course to ourselves.

However, by the time we'd reached the 5th tee box we had a singleton catch us so we let him through. On the 7th another single then the same on the 8th and 9th. So by the turn we'd let 4 singles through and it was disruptive to our game.

On the back 9 we (rightly or wrongly) didn't let anyone else through even though there seemed to be an endless number of guys out for a post round thrash. When we got in there were immediate complaints made about our group and our failure to let people through however in our opinion it's a failure of the pro shop to let out so many singles, couldn't they have been asked to play together?

Like I said, always happy to let faster players through however with the situation of having an usually high number of singles out it felt as though we were spending a lot of our time stopping to let others come through!!

It shouldn't be that disruptive, if at all if done correctly, which in my observations many don't let groups through correctly and simply back up the course more.

I've seen many times a group wave us through and then just stand there waiting for us to walk to our drives/balls and then watch us play our 2nd shots and finish the hole, so in fact all they've done is allow the rest of the field to close up and have achieved nothing!

If done correctly, you wave the players through and then play your own shots whilst they are walking to their balls, they then play their shots and you all walk to your 2nd shot balls, they play through and you follow quickly behind. You may have a small wait at the next tee but they will quickly pull away as their faster anyway and you haven't backed up the course.

No major delays, no disruptiveness and no fuss.

Crack on....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, it's the 4 ball's fault. They're forcing groups of 2 balls, social and competitive, to play at 4 ball pace...if the 4 ball let's the OP through then there's unlikely to be a problem.

i agree.

matches at my club have priority and rightly so. Match play on the hole is much faster in pace on the whole, played a tie last week that only took just over 2 hours for 17 holes.

D

Deleted member 16999

id agree, I have seen the reverse a few times. Where a 4 ball in a match are holding everyone else up just because they say they dont have to let anyone through.
Same here, difference between priority and etiquette.

Why if you're a 4 Ball playing a knockout match would you want people stacking up behind you, let them through and concentrate on your match.