Club competition ties VS Joe public member

D

Deleted member 23270

In the same way, why should a 2 ball be forced to take 3 hrs 40 when they could be round in 3 hrs or less.?
Etiquette dictates that you should let faster groups through - the fact that the 4 ball were ahead of time is admirable but largely irrelevant.

You could counter that argument by saying why should a 4ball be forced to take 4hrs30 or whatever when they could get round in sub 4hrs if they didn't have to keep stopping to allow 2 balls through

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You could counter that argument by saying why should a 4ball be forced to take 4hrs30 or whatever when they could get round in sub 4hrs if they didn't have to keep stopping to allow 2 balls through

there is no reason that letting a single should hold a 4 ball!!! we always let faster groups though and play the 2nd shots onto the green let the single putt out, and away they go. while we finish the hole they are on the next tee, played and away before we have putted out as a 4 ball. simple

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A Match holds no priority on our course. Priority, is only given on start time when tees have been reserved by the club, at which point the following groups should not play through.

A match group which have lost a hole to the group ahead should be prepared to let people through, in the same way that they would expect to be let through.

D

Deleted Member 1156

there is no reason that letting a single should hold a 4 ball!!! we always let faster groups though and play the 2nd shots onto the green let the single putt out, and away they go. while we finish the hole they are on the next tee, played and away before we have putted out as a 4 ball. simple

That works if the course ahead is clear but in the situation described by the OP the 4 ball could have to stand aside every other hole to allow 'faster' groups through and then wait behind them because they have nowhere to go in front if the course is busy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That works if the course ahead is clear but in the situation described by the OP the 4 ball could have to stand aside every other hole to allow 'faster' groups through and then wait behind them because they have nowhere to go in front if the course is busy.

if every one just let faster groups through there wouldn't be any hold ups.

just not letting faster groups though doesn't help pace of play does it. you juts end up it being even slower.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This isn't a post about slow play, its about certain groups thinking they have more rights on the course than others who pay the same money.
Team matches/inter club comps are different and the tee should be closed for a period before they go out to stop this happening.
Point I'm making is its etiquette and not a rule, Although I'd probably like to be let through, I wouldn't ask nor moan about it unless the group in front were rediculously slow. As has already been said, yes the 4 ball in front of me at first could probably have let us through but as they were playing at a good pace I think Iv just got to accept that they aren't doing anything wrong and Iv just got to wait my turn. Just like the guys at the back of me should have

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This isn't a post about slow play, its about certain groups thinking they have more rights on the course than others who pay the same money.
Team matches/inter club comps are different and the tee should be closed for a period before they go out to stop this happening.
Point I'm making is its etiquette and not a rule, Although I'd probably like to be let through, I wouldn't ask nor moan about it unless the group in front were rediculously slow. As has already been said, yes the 4 ball in front of me at first could probably have let us through but as they were playing at a good pace I think Iv just got to accept that they aren't doing anything wrong and Iv just got to wait my turn. Just like the guys at the back of me should have

I don't think it is certain parts of the club thinking they have more rights at all. most clubs i know of give club ties priority and these are just normal club members playing in club matches and shouldn't be held up by just bounce games, its common courtesy IMO.

maybe you should just put your name down for these rather than feel left out and hold them up?

D

Deleted Member 1156

just not letting faster groups though doesn't help pace of play does it. you juts end up it being even slower.

That isn't the case though. Every time a group is let through it causes bunching up when the course is busy. I have no issue with calling groups through, I hate having people waiting around behind me but just because the group behind is smaller doesn't give them an automatic right to play through.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That isn't the case though. Every time a group is let through it causes bunching up when the course is busy. I have no issue with calling groups through, I hate having people waiting around behind me but just because the group behind is smaller doesn't give them an automatic right to play through.

surely it does that's why most clubs and etiquette state that faster groups should be let though

DCB

Visit site
Bit of a silly rule IMO giving normal ties preference. People have usually got a fair amount of time to organise a tie. Imagine trying to play on the last date a round can be played by .... usual backlog on the first tee would have preference ... no thank you.

The only ties we give preference to are Club Championship ties, but, even they are scheduled in for certain dates and times and the tee closed prior to the first tie starting. Giving KO comp ties preference is just silly.

D

Deleted Member 1156

surely it does that's why most clubs and etiquette state that faster groups should be let though

Yes if there is somewhere for them to go but when the course is rammed it just causes bunching up and slows down play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes if there is somewhere for them to go but when the course is rammed it just causes bunching up and slows down play.

but that's irrelevant, the next group should let them though as well and so on. its not up to a group to determine if they should be let though if they deem there to be space.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last year we were waved through 8 times, while playing the semi final of the club individual match play .
We were all square after 18 , then wave through again on the 1 st tee by about 4/5 games waiting to tee off .
Probably because i was playing the captain.:whoo:

D

Deleted Member 1156

but that's irrelevant, the next group should let them though as well and so on. its not up to a group to determine if they should be let though if they deem there to be space.

It's not irrelevant if it causes the rest of the course to bunch up and slow down lots of others. If I pitch up at my club on a Saturday morning I don't expect to get round in the same time as I would on an empty course. That is just being selfish and inconveniences a lot of others.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's not irrelevant if it causes the rest of the course to bunch up and slow down lots of others. If I pitch up at my club on a Saturday morning I don't expect to get round in the same time as I would on an empty course. That is just being selfish and inconveniences a lot of others.

but etiquette and club directives don't say, faster groups should be let though, but only if there's somewhere to go though do they??:ears:

D

Deleted Member 1156

but etiquette and club directives don't say, faster groups should be let though, but only if there's somewhere to go though do they??:ears:

Have you thought about applying common sense to each individual case?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Crap!
That group in front of me would have had to let through possibly 5 quicker groups when they were quite easily within their stipulated time limit, had them all through and they've added an hour to their own time. All that does is flick the slow play argument on its head and you now have 4 guys complaining they are being harassed round the course although they would have completed the round in given time if they didn't have to stand aside every second hole to let groups through. This is a major issue in the slow play argument to me, people getting labelled and harassed as being slow when they actually aren't. It's just some groups are really quick.

Last edited:

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think it is certain parts of the club thinking they have more rights at all. most clubs i know of give club ties priority and these are just normal club members playing in club matches and shouldn't be held up by just bounce games, its common courtesy IMO.

maybe you should just put your name down for these rather than feel left out and hold them up?

More crap!!
This is exactly about certain parts of the club thinking they have more rights! Why should someone playing a glorified bounce game automatically expecting someone just to step aside so they can play through?
Who said I felt left out? I do play in them and I don't think I own the course when I do!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Letting groups through on a packed course does nothing for the pace of play of anyone bar the group being let through. For everyone else, it just slows things down.

You've to apply common sense to the situation at hand.