Club competition ties VS Joe public member

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry but it never works like that - and it never takes more than 5 mins to let someone through if done properly , should take a couple of mins and players can still play on the hole at the same time

Group A : Tee time 10:00am
Group B : Tee time 10:10am

Both groups would usually play the course in 4 hours.

After a couple of holes group A think group B might be faster, so call them through. As it turns out group B weren't faster after all, and group A keep good pace behind them for the rest of the round. Not being held up and not losing ground. Everyone is happy.

Group B complete the round in their usual 4 hours, so finish at 2:10pm

Assuming group A finish the 18th in 5 minutes from where they play their approach shots from after group B has left the green, their round finishes at 2:15pm, meaning letting one group through has 'cost' them 15 minutes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Group A : Tee time 10:00am
Group B : Tee time 10:10am

Both groups would usually play the course in 4 hours.

After a couple of holes group A think group B might be faster, so call them through. As it turns out group B weren't faster after all, and group A keep good pace behind them for the rest of the round. Not being held up and not losing ground. Everyone is happy.

Group B complete the round in their usual 4 hours, so finish at 2:10pm

Assuming group A finish the 18th in 5 minutes from where they play their approach shots from after group B has left the green, their round finishes at 2:15pm, meaning letting one group through has 'cost' them 15 minutes.

but surely they will just catch up with the group in front, maintain their place in the field and finish juts behind the group in front and have the same time group A would have?

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Perfect explanation, a group waved through is not suddenly making up 10 minutes on their normal playing time because they are waved through.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
but surely they will just catch up with the group in front, maintain their place in the field and finish juts behind the group in front and have the same time group A would have?

Maybe it's one of those puzzles like the missing £1 in the restaurant :)

I know it doesn't feel like that long when you let someone through, but I can't see a flaw in the logic.
If group B finish at 4:10, then for group A to only lose 5 minutes they must finish at 4:05, but they can't because they're half a hole behind group B.

If group B can complete the round 15 minutes faster than group A then yes, it probably costs group A 5 minutes on to their round. But the OP was about letting a 4-ball through a 2-ball because it was a comp tie. Let 4 ties through that can't pull away from you and (assuming they finish in the same 10 minute intervals as they started) you lose 50 minutes vs the position you were in at the start.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe it's one of those puzzles like the missing £1 in the restaurant :)

I know it doesn't feel like that long when you let someone through, but I can't see a flaw in the logic.
If group B finish at 4:10, then for group A to only lose 5 minutes they must finish at 4:05, but they can't because they're half a hole behind group B.

If group B can complete the round 15 minutes faster than group A then yes, it probably costs group A 5 minutes on to their round. But the OP was about letting a 4-ball through a 2-ball because it was a comp tie. Let 4 ties through that can't pull away from you and (assuming they finish in the same 10 minute intervals as they started) you lose 50 minutes vs the position you were in at the start.

i don't agree about the 5 mins to play though bit either, not my experience at least.

I think with the OP there is more to it too, maybe a history of slow play hence why they may have been told to play quickly or let through.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i don't agree about the 5 mins to play though bit either, not my experience at least.

I think with the OP there is more to it too, maybe a history of slow play hence why they may have been told to play quickly or let through.
Yet more crap from you!
Throwing some mud and seeing if it sticks.

Last edited:

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You said when you went out you had 4 ties behind you, then you said the 2 ball behind you let a tie through, so were the 2 ball behind you a tie or not?

I took it they were and they let another 2 ball through and you did, then you said you were behind 2 4balls, what was the format of theses ties? Some confusion between what and who were 4 balls?

That was explained on page 6 mate.

4 ball-social
Me and my friend-social
2 ball, member and visitor-social
4 ball-tie, greensomes
4 ball, tie doubles,
4 ball tie doubles
Another tie but I'm unsure how many or what format.

D

Deleted member 16999

That was explained on page 6 mate.

4 ball-social
Me and my friend-social
2 ball, member and visitor-social
4 ball-tie, greensomes
4 ball, tie doubles,
4 ball tie doubles
Another tie but I'm unsure how many or what format.
Cheers :thup:

Why didn't did the vice captain suggest you and the 2 ball behind join up?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if its crap why did you ex captain tell you to nip round and let the other groups though?

you appear to have a bit of an issue letting anyone through...?

He did say nip round, he never said anything about letting them through, Iv no idea why he said it.

I don't have an issue letting anyone through, if you read what I posted I had already let a group through no problem and I do let people through if they are quicker and there's a space for them to go.
I have an issue with people wanting to be let through, "because it's there right" when there's clearly nowhere for them to go.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club Rule where I play is that ordinary club winter and summer knockout comps do not have priority on the course except when the players have to go to extra holes to decide the winner and that is for the for the first tee only.

Players have to book their own tee slots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any match has priority on the course at my place but more often than not unless its a foursomes or greensomes where the pace of the game is always quicker they opt not to bother unless the course is relatively empty and there is somewhere to move onto. That is surely the crux

G

guest100718

Any match has priority on the course at my place but more often than not unless its a foursomes or greensomes where the pace of the game is always quicker they opt not to bother unless the course is relatively empty and there is somewhere to move onto. That is surely the crux

very true probably