Club Captain's impact on Golf Club

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I understand it there's an expectation of the Captain leaving something positive to be remembered by.
So would be good to hear of any.... positive....or... negative (things to avoid doing)
Any outstanding examples that you know of or have contributed to.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've turned it down twice, so I think I should get an OBE for services to Lee park.

Imagine the carnage I'd cause,Dave? :)

Are you the chosen one?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've turned it down twice, so I think I should get an OBE for services to Lee park.

Imagine the carnage I'd cause,Dave? :)

Are you the chosen one?
Hahaha....... Have always been a bit of a 'Mug' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Only way I can get into the EG 'Past Captain's' events.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can be a great effect or none at all. Current captain has been invisible to all but his usual cronies this year, he had to cancel his away day due to lack of interest - it was the first anyone had heard of it!

Last few years have seen some excellent Captains and the thing I’d say that united them all was they were captain to the whole club, not just their mates.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
well the legacy of the last but one at our was he implemented a Captains expenses allowence, and over spent on it both years he was captain.... did nothing but piss it up and invite guests oh and the comt thanked him for his good work by buying a full new set of custom fit clubs... that the club paid for... king joke:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As I understand it there's an expectation of the Captain leaving something positive to be remembered by.
So would be good to hear of any.... positive....or... negative (things to avoid doing)
Any outstanding examples that you know of or have contributed to.

Think you should keep a low profile. Only the captains that were dreadful are remembered at my club. Head down, don’t rock the boat, and play plenty of top courses on Captain’s courtesies !!!!!

Oh and don’t have an affair with lady captain !

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be everyones captain .chat with members in club house u normaly wouldnt . Introduce a fun comp maybe a captains charity have it as a scramble with drawn teams .. create some kind of inclusivity . U will b remembered fondly .

D

Deleted member 16999

Think you should keep a low profile. Only the captains that were dreadful are remembered at my club. Head down, don’t rock the boat, and play plenty of top courses on Captain’s courtesies !!!!!

Oh and don’t have an affair with lady captain !
Heard a rumour this has now to been changed to the year after your tenure.

D

Deleted member 16999

I believe it will vary Club to Club, some are no more than figureheads, some are involved at all levels.
Either way, be 100% fair and be honest to all.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Be a Captain for the members.
Be visible at the club
Make yourself known to as many as possible.
Don't be an arse or intimidating.
Make new members feel welcome and part of the club
Represent the club well outside of the club
Take part in as many club events as you can
Work hard behind the scenes
Make all the staff at the club feel valued
Organise social events, possible charity linked

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Provide continuity from, hopefully, the previous good captain. Members rarely like change, and if there is to be change, engage with the members to assure them it is for the good of all the club. Make time for everyone.

Just be you Dave. You were asked for who you are, not something different. That'll be fine.

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A captain is never going to please everyone all of the time and most are clever enough not to make too many changes unless necessary. Our present (for two more weeks) wasn't really been seen around too much early on to the point where some nicknamed him "The Shadow". Not sure what his legacy will be but can't say he's been an overly poor captain and has worked hard with both the office staff and the green keepers and has been very good at supporting club events and matches. I am not sure its a role I'd ever fancy (though doubt that'll ever be an issue and can't see me being asked)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the best thing a Captain can do is promote the club as best he can and try and get new members or visitors into the club, as well as being a friendly face to those new to the club. Clearly a good captain will be willing to dedicate a huge amount of his time in his year of captaincy.

Some clubs have the captain as a part-managerial position and there is a lot to do in terms of decision making, chairing meetings and organising things. But for me - this should be done with people who have more continuity and are not simply in the role for 12 months.

In that respect, the Captain should be more of a ceremonial role who is visible on days of big competitions, club matches and social events. As well as playing in, and attending, events at other clubs and representing the club with passion and respect.

In reality I think it is a difficult task and regardless of the type of role it is at a particular club - there will always be people who want to meddle or moan about things without volunteering their own time to help make a difference.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At some of my clubs and this may have influenced me in my opinions, was the Captain basically picked up a bill for the privilege - they covered all the prize costs and drinks for their day and it ran into thousands.
Having said that they all did it willingly and they all did it well and were very approachable. The point is you could see they took pleasure in their membership and the company of like minded souls - after all the golf is the common interest of the club everything else is just hot air.
I am sure there are people we have had ding dongs on the forum, and possibly at the club with, but if we were to play golf that would override a lot of these heated conversations and it would be the enjoyment of the game that would shine through - so being a captain should be driven by your enthusiasm for the game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look after yourself would be my first comment. I have seen a lot of captains burn out by the end of the season and they have sickened themselves. Delegate jobs, don't live in the club, it is important that it does not take over your whole life for the period.

The best captains I have seen have had a smile and a friendly welcome and a desire to get the club to mix more. I don't mean via social events but on the course and in the clubhouse afterwards. I have always loved a captain's day trip and any sort of funky competition that mixes things up always gets remembered. Who remembers another strokeplay comp, regular format?

Having met 2blue I am confident that his manner and nature is ideally suited to being a very good captain. Have a great year (y)