Club Captain's impact on Golf Club

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having been at the same club for over 30 years I have seen the captains role and what they achieve greatly varied through the years.

There was a time when the Captain paid for all the prizes on his 'Day' and a round of drinks for all competitors.

One paid for permanent winter tees on quite a few of the holes.

There have been a few that have done absolutely nothing.

There have been some that want to dominate the club and treat it as 'their' club.

One of the things that all Captains do is to chair the club committee and through that there has been a lot of very good things done through the years.

Each Captain also sits on the Directors Meeting and will input towards a lot of the financial decisions made within the club.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Captain, is that not just another antiquated old boys network that requires to be done away with for the future of golf?

Why does the club manager/secretary not undertake all these tasks.

I have nothing against club captains just really fail to see what they bring/offer in a modern we'll run golf club.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Captain, is that not just another antiquated old boys network that requires to be done away with for the future of golf?

I have nothing against club captains just really fail to see what they bring/offer in a modern we'll run golf club.
We had this discussion at my club in one of my last mens committee meetings. The previous 2 captains had burned out, they struggled to get someone to take it on. The manager, we are not a members club, recognised that the traditional role was outdated and so they streamlined the role of the captain. Our captain is now largely ceremonial, they organise the club team (Although I would argue the team should have a team captain that could do the same rather than a non playing captain who has to turn up mid week to watch a match they take no part in), they act as a link between members and management.

The thought that a captain should plough their own money into events, prizes etc seems crazy to me. That would put off people, restrict the people who could do the job etc.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing really to add to some of the suggestions here. Just wanted to say I thinks it's a great choice by Wike Ridge, and I know you'll make a cracking Captain. Enjoy your year. If your previous captain was any good I'm sure he'll be happy to advise you as to what went well / didn't go so well in his year, and be sure to lean on the staff for advice. You have a good bunch of pros there, who know what they're about

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Tradition, 'ol boy, tradition. 🤪🤪
Thankfully our Club has professionals doing the important work which is why I wondered how to fit in. 😉😉

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I have nothing against club captains just really fail to see what they bring/offer in a modern well run golf club.
The Captain's role has changed a lot in the last number of years. At our club the Captains role is functional as well as ceremonial.
We have a Board of Management comprising of the Chairman, Director of House & Greens, Director of Marketing, Director of Finance, Captain, Lady Captain and Club Manager. The Club Manager is the only paid role, the rest are all voluntary, but chosen for their particular skill-set.
Otherwise, the Captain is the face of the club and is important in that role. He is a focus for members and promotes the club.
I've tried to list them earlier in the thread as to what I see are the roles in the club.
It's not an old boys network at our club. In fact when I was offered the role it was totally unexpected as I didn't ever anticipate being a captain of a club, certainly not one I'd been a member of for only 10 years.
There are undoubtedly still some regimes as you describe but most of the ones I met during my tenure are more forward looking and doing it in the interests of the club, and not their own self interest.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had this discussion at my club in one of my last mens committee meetings. The previous 2 captains had burned out, they struggled to get someone to take it on. The manager, we are not a members club, recognised that the traditional role was outdated and so they streamlined the role of the captain. Our captain is now largely ceremonial, they organise the club team (Although I would argue the team should have a team captain that could do the same rather than a non playing captain who has to turn up mid week to watch a match they take no part in), they act as a link between members and management.

The thought that a captain should plough their own money into events, prizes etc seems crazy to me. That would put off people, restrict the people who could do the job etc.
This is pretty much the model that we have.... though it appears the hardest job is still finding your Vice 🥺🥺
Guess you'll find out who your real friends are. 😀😀

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is pretty much the model that we have.... though it appears the hardest job is still finding your Vice 🥺🥺
Perhaps a forum trip to Wike Ridge may help the club coffers and show them what a good captain you are? :D(y)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
At our club, the incoming Vice Captain is actually chosen by the outgoing Captain so that the new Captain can't choose his mate as a Vice Captain. You serve a year as Vice-Captain and then becomes Captain so they have a chance to get up to speed.
I'm sure you'll do a great job. It can take up a lot of your time and commitment (2 years combined as Vice-Captain and Captain) but I did enjoy it.
In fact at the end of my year, I felt I'd just got really into it and the first month I kept thinking I had somewhere to go (meetings every week).

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps a forum trip to Wike Ridge may help the club coffers and show them what a good captain you are? :D(y)
Yeah... may even start by resurrecting this Trophy... results currently 3 - 1 ,I think to NE, but the Tykes won the last one at Cleveland.
I dont think you played. We had players with 'residency' qualification & 'Outrageous Ringers' so could involve lots from the Forum.
20191025_123654_resize_38.jpg20191025_123654_resize_38.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah... may even start by resurrecting this Trophy... results currently 3 - 1 ,I think to NE, but the Tykes won the last one at Cleveland.
I dont think you played. We had players with 'residency' qualification & 'Outrageous Ringers' so could involve lots from the Forum.
View attachment 28416View attachment 28416
Yes, Redcar in January meant I bottled out of that one :D. Perhaps something we can look at when the season gets under way next year. I've played Wike Ridge before and really enjoyed the whole set up. Worst case, I am sure we can get a car full down for a game but hopefully we can manage a few more.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, Redcar in January meant I bottled out of that one :D. Perhaps something we can look at when the season gets under way next year. I've played Wike Ridge before and really enjoyed the whole set up. Worst case, I am sure we can get a car full down for a game but hopefully we can manage a few more.
Ah yes & so it was ... the Tough-Tykes took it in fairly 'balmy' conditions for Jan... & Fish sampled/survived a Sat night in 'Borough!!🤪🤪
Oh yes I think we have a go'er there on a Summer Sunday with maybe a few Monday tee-times at Alwoodley, Headingley or similar to make it a better trip for those from further afield.
The FORUM delivers again!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a mixed view on the role of captain and it varies year on year. At my club the position is pretty much a closed shop. Captain picks the vice captain, vice captain becomes next years captain and so the position moves within a certain element of the club. Some have tried to modernise and introduce change and I am all for that.

What I would like from a captain is to be more visible. The only captain that I have had any contact with is one that used to play in my regular 4 ball but that dropped off when he was vice captain, captain and then after. Would love to see the captain and some committee members signing in on their own for some comps and inviting the rest of the club to sign up and play a round with them and be able to chat about their views. Sadly does not happen. Captain gets to book comps before the rest of the club and reserve a couple of tee times for him and his friends.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I have a mixed view on the role of captain and it varies year on year. At my club the position is pretty much a closed shop. Captain picks the vice captain, vice captain becomes next years captain and so the position moves within a certain element of the club. Some have tried to modernise and introduce change and I am all for that.

What I would like from a captain is to be more visible. The only captain that I have had any contact with is one that used to play in my regular 4 ball but that dropped off when he was vice captain, captain and then after. Would love to see the captain and some committee members signing in on their own for some comps and inviting the rest of the club to sign up and play a round with them and be able to chat about their views. Sadly does not happen. Captain gets to book comps before the rest of the club and reserve a couple of tee times for him and his friends.
As above, at our club the Captain doesn't choose his own Vice-Captain so there are opportunities for left-field choices (and I'd count myself amongst them) to become Captain.
The hard part of being the departing Captain is finding someone who is interested in taking on the role of Vice Captain/Captain who you feel would do it in the best interests of the club. Not that many people want the role.
Funnily enough, I used to book myself into different tee-times precisely so I could play with different members.
I remember one of those, I met a new member who I had interviewed (not so much an interview, more an introduction to the club) a month or so before. When I said I was playing in his group I watched with interest as his face slowly transformed into a real "oh ***" picture! :LOL: Once we got playing and everything was fine, he was relaxed, and we chat every time we meet at the club.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

same at ours, a closed shop of the committee clique, for their benifit, abuse of power... one guy i play with calls it Animal farm... a very good analogy IMO

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I met out captain when he slammed the door of the conservatory right on my back swing.
He apologised and when I got in the house had left me a drink behind the bar.
He emailed me to invite me to play with him the next Saturday.
Really nice lad and a joy to play with.
We are good friends now , but he still slams doors.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You will be fine Dave. Just be yourself. If anyone comes up to you with a complaint just tell them you are at the club to play. Complaints in writing. Most will not bother.

Make sure you have priority on the first tee. Always goes down well with the membership !!!!!