close to quitting

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its the opposite for me, every winter I feel like chucking it.
My game goes haywire, I lose a lot of distance with the cold air, no run and the old body stiffening up.
Even though I know I shouldn't, I try to hit it harder.
It's usually around June before i
get back to normal and start to enjoy my golf again.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The good news is you haven't suddenly lost the ability to play golf.
I'd wager something relatively small has changed and in your search for improvement you've 'fixed' something else that wasn't broken.
What you have to do is break down golf into its simplest form...
How you hit it.
Where you hit it.

If you are having problems with how you hit it, the chances are you may be swaying.
Keep your head still.

If you are having problems with where you hit it, that's down to the direction of the swingpath and clubface and maybe a little bit of aim.
The swingpath doesn't tend to change much so check your grip and aim.
Indeed, which makes completely changing it as hard as I have been finding it…👍🙄

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's a matter of what motivates you to play golf. Over the past decade I was very motivated to improve and get my handicap down. With lessons and heaps of practice (usually every day) I got as low as 4. At that level I didn't enjoy the pressure to perform - self inflicted pressure but pressure all the same. I wanted to be able to just go and play and sod the performance/scoreline but found that's just not me. If I don't have a goal, am not striving to improve, in my sports then it just doesn't motivate me. Also for me golf doesn't give the exercise buzz whatsoever so even that element doesn't work. Social aspect - well the women who play golf that I'd choose to spend time with can be counted on the fingers of one hand...I just don't fit. Add to that being at a member's club where women seemed to be tolerated at best by the Greens Director and any Ladies comp days being the best time to rip the course up...

I kept going for a few years because, relatively, I was good at it. If I mentioned I was thinking of stopping playing to anyone the usual response was "oh but you're so good, that would be a shame". Plus the time, money and energy I'd expended!

In the past year I've played a handful of times and not since Dec last year, not missed it at all. Haven't renewed membership and haven't picked up a club. Focussed on tennis right now which feels so much like my early golf - so much to learn and frustrating and enjoyable in equal measure. Also returned to the hockey pitch and looking forward to getting stuck in this season.

There may be a time I'll return to the sport - perhaps in my dotage :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quit for 3 years. When the enjoyment was not there, it became a pointless waste of money. OK, mine was not just down to playing but largely due to my growing disillusionment with golf clubs and club attitudes that was impacting on my overall enjoyment and if I am chucking out a grand a year, I want to be havng fun. Did not really miss it at all in those 3 years, found other hobbies, did more family things (plus lockdown) and it was great. I am now looking at giving it another try but no club is getting my membership money now unless it fits in with my attitude and approach. When it comes to clubs, I have settled for most of my time golfing and it only leads to stress and diminishing enjoyment.

My opinion, if you are not getting the enjoyment out of it, quit for a while, maybe play the odd round for fun and you will soon know if it is something you miss.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its the opposite for me, every winter I feel like chucking it.
My game goes haywire, I lose a lot of distance with the cold air, no run and the old body stiffening up.
Even though I know I shouldn't, I try to hit it harder.
It's usually around June before i
get back to normal and start to enjoy my golf again.
Best way around this is to just not play in the winter :)

Fairweather golf is the real winner here.

My issue is, I don't play much, and when I do, it tends to be on "nicer" courses...which means if I play an absolute goat track, I'm a proper snob about it and find it hard to enjoy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tell me how to go up 9 shots PLEASE.....
trouble is that my friends would kill me.

It has not been a sudden increase I stayed between 5 and 7 for years went up to 9 by continuous review following 7 straight 0.1s in a row 2 years before the WHS came in, wavered between 9 and 13 ever since the WHS came in. Now up to 12.7 (14 course) starting the year at 10.2.

I probably put in 40 plus cards a year mainly from comps or swindles.

Fabia999

Visit site
cheers for all the replies.

I 100% take my score too seriously, I've been like this with everything and I find it really hard not to do that.

I wish I had a problem with my game that I knew about so I could get it fixed but it seems to be a few mistakes every round that throws a double or 2 on my card and ruins it, always different mistakes.

I'm gunna make more effort to figure out what the mistakes are each round and see if there is a common problem.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
cheers for all the replies.

I 100% take my score too seriously, I've been like this with everything and I find it really hard not to do that.

I wish I had a problem with my game that I knew about so I could get it fixed but it seems to be a few mistakes every round that throws a double or 2 on my card and ruins it, always different mistakes.

I'm gunna make more effort to figure out what the mistakes are each round and see if there is a common problem.
This might sound harsh, but get over yourself. It's just a game that you don't earn a living from, and not many golfers can shoot par or even hope to.
Reason for my first sentence:

Last Friday I went to the funeral of a close family friend. 2 - 3 month ago all was going well, (bowel cancer). I met up with him 6weeks ago and we talked about having a round of golf together which we were both looking forward to. We were never able to get one arranged before when it would have been easy to. Life just gets in the way sometimes.
So sadly it will never happen now.

I hope the above puts it in perspective, which is something we should all think about from time to time when the golf is not going how you would like it to.
For us at least, there is always tomorrow.......

But not for my good friend John.
RIP. X

oleinone

Visit site
Individual approach and priorities. I'm of a certain age and often play to something like my hcap 18. I play a lot and find that it's a couple or three or four bad holes that does me in. Conversely, the thrill of up and downs, sandy pars and the rare chip in birdy keeps me coming back for more. More importantly. it's being out in the open air with friends. That's good for the soul.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I hit a bad spell I just go back to basics.
two sticks on the ground feet together and try to work it out.

Most people compound an error on the course by trying the 100 to 1 shot instead of just chipping out.
next time you make a mistake just get it back in play again.
this takes all the big numbers out of play.

Dont give up ! It’s a tough sport.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If shooting a bad score meant I Jack it in, the clubs would have been sold a Couple of years ago. Week before last 41 points, last week 26. My last couple of years really has been up and down. 3 years ago I had fantastic season 3rd or 4th in Order of merit. Thought I could kick on from that. I couldn’t even kick myself in the head now.

Smoj

Visit site
I feel like quitting every round, especially shooting 3 off the tee at least 10 holes :LOL:.. then I hit a few beautiful shots and a 1 putt on the 18th that make me come back and play again. rinse and repeat.

I've just come out of a slump of hitting in the 100's which is something I haven't done since I started playing golf a year ago, huge penalty shot count killed my rounds, then I just slowed down my game, laying up instead of attacking the pin from 300 yards, finding fairways off the tee with 1/4 swing driver shots rather than swing for the fences (which often found the river/out of bounds) and a few scrambles helped as well, now I'm down to about 4 or 5 penalties per round scores are better, in the 90s, better scores = better feelings = better golf.

this weekend I am doing the 72 holes in a day and I'm looking forward to having fun playing golf rather than taking it too seriously.

mister v

Visit site
I have been struggling through last winter and into this summer season, every round would have a highlight but was over shadowed by blow up holes, silly shots, bad luck etc..... so i had a lesson to give me something to focus on and i had 2 weeks off the course and went to the range/chipping green 4 to 5 times a week until i felt i had something that i could take to the course.
It really has worked for me, i have played better which has put a smile on my face, and i tend to play better golf when im not being the most miserable person on the planet!!
Id say dont quit, just try a different aproach, it is tough but it should be enjoyable

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see myself ever quitting, but I'm going through a similar thing of hitting a wall and seemingly going backwards now. I used to think anything less than 30 points was a bad round, now I'm having to adjust my thinking and be happy if I even get near 30. I am really struggling with the mental side of poor scoring. Trying to enjoy the good holes and forget the bad ones - it is hard when the bad ones come in spells of 3 or 4 at a time though.

I don't have any solutions I'm afraid, just posting in solidarity. 🫡

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't see myself ever quitting, but I'm going through a similar thing of hitting a wall and seemingly going backwards now. I used to think anything less than 30 points was a bad round, now I'm having to adjust my thinking and be happy if I even get near 30. I am really struggling with the mental side of poor scoring. Trying to enjoy the good holes and forget the bad ones - it is hard when the bad ones come in spells of 3 or 4 at a time though.

I don't have any solutions I'm afraid, just posting in solidarity. 🫡
When I'm having that sort of run (pretty often) I remind myself that the best solution is to make sure I've put the card in....
Nothing like a coupe of extra shots up your sleeve to sort out a lean spell.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
When I'm having that sort of run (pretty often) I remind myself that the best solution is to make sure I've put the card in....
Nothing like a coupe of extra shots up your sleeve to sort out a lean spell.

There's something in this..

I started the year very poorly but rarely entered scores meaning my struggle for more points in stablefords etc wasn't getting better.

Started putting the rounds in and handicap rose by 4 shots and suddenly I'm shooting high 30's because the mental pressure of "playing to handicap" is relieved somewhat.

The guys at my club who play all winter and submit scores are the ones who seem to enjoy their golf the most - so now I submit pretty much everything too!

Just don't bother with the odd midweek 9 holes with the lads when we give the odd gimmie etc. to keep the play quick.

sunshine

Visit site
A lot of wisdom on this thread and I hope anyone can find a nugget of hope from at least one of the posts (apart from the comment to just get over yourself :rolleyes:).

As someone who is going through a slump, reading this really made me feel more positive and confident that I can come through the other side. The forum at its best. Thank you to all the wonderful contributors 😍

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was struggling to break 90 this season as opposed to last year where I was low 80s with an occasional 70s, Then I played in the county championship and played like I can, now things have settled back down. That said I never for a minute thought of packing it in.