close to quitting

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of wisdom on this thread and I hope anyone can find a nugget of hope from at least one of the posts (apart from the comment to just get over yourself :rolleyes:).

As someone who is going through a slump, reading this really made me feel more positive and confident that I can come through the other side. The forum at its best. Thank you to all the wonderful contributors 😍
I did start my post by saying this might sound harsh and to try and put things in perspective. This game is very hard to master and perhaps we should realise our limitations.
There are far more important things in life to worry about.

D

Deleted member 25172

I have quit once. Right in the middle of a round, during a golf trip. Two shanks off the tee, walked off and got in the car for the roughly 4 hour drive back home. Literally did not touch a golf club for 5 years after the bag had been taken out of the car and clubs put in the shed.

Had no plans of picking it up again, but a friend of mine kept nagging on me to start again when I moved over to the UK.

Golf is such a vital part of life now, so it's hard to imagine not playing. Having said that, my game has deteriorated in such way in the last 18 months that there's very little enjoyment being out on the course. I'm practising probably 2-3 times a week. Putting, chipping, range. Nothing seem to be helping, so I guess there's a possibility that I will get to the point where I simply just play less often and then not make the renewal at the club when time comes. Who knows?

Have a 36-hole open comp on Saturday. Last year I won the net, shooting -3 playing off 6 (76, 77). This year I've barely made the "cut" to enter as index is 8.4 (max index to enter - 9.0), giving me 10 shots on the course. How ironic it would be if I for some reason manage to find the game for a day. Sure that would go down well when the reigning winner comes back following year with 4 more shots in the bag and place in the top.

1687421459476.png

D

Deleted member 15344

I think we all go through stages of issues

I have had two

Started well and HC came down quickly but then got a case of those and it ripped me apart , no idea what was happening so I just looked at pros swings and then tried a few things and they stopped and I again came down quickly again and got to cat 1

Then I started to put a bit too much pressure on myself to play well in comps and turned to rubbish , shot a 90 odd in the first round of the club champs and just wanted to stop

But then went for a round with a couple of forumers at their place , relaxed , had a bit of fun and found the mojo again

It’s always worth to remember why we are playing the game , yeah it’s frustrating as hell but ultimately for us it’s fun , relaxing , enjoyable , time to meet mates etc

Look at just playing the odd 9 hole in the evening with mates or just playing golf without taking a score .

D

Deleted member 25172

I have quit once. Right in the middle of a round, during a golf trip. Two shanks off the tee, walked off and got in the car for the roughly 4 hour drive back home. Literally did not touch a golf club for 5 years after the bag had been taken out of the car and clubs put in the shed.

Had no plans of picking it up again, but a friend of mine kept nagging on me to start again when I moved over to the UK.

Golf is such a vital part of life now, so it's hard to imagine not playing. Having said that, my game has deteriorated in such way in the last 18 months that there's very little enjoyment being out on the course. I'm practising probably 2-3 times a week. Putting, chipping, range. Nothing seem to be helping, so I guess there's a possibility that I will get to the point where I simply just play less often and then not make the renewal at the club when time comes. Who knows?

Have a 36-hole open comp on Saturday. Last year I won the net, shooting -3 playing off 6 (76, 77). This year I've barely made the "cut" to enter as index is 8.4 (max index to enter - 9.0), giving me 10 shots on the course. How ironic it would be if I for some reason manage to find the game for a day. Sure that would go down well when the reigning winner comes back following year with 4 more shots in the bag and place in the top.

View attachment 48210
Well, my worries about finding the game and get the spurs and sombrero on for the competition yesterday was rather unfounded.

12 over after the first 9 made that clear.

89 in the morning followed with a 87 in the afternoon. Just 23 shots worse than the same comp last year. 🤣🤣🤣

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Never even entered my head any thoughts of quitting.
Only how can I play better.
I enjoy every aspect of golf, playing, the exercise, the social side.
I'd be lost without it.

sunshine

Visit site
I did start my post by saying this might sound harsh and to try and put things in perspective. This game is very hard to master and perhaps we should realise our limitations.
There are far more important things in life to worry about.

The frustrating part about being in a slump is that you are playing below your known ability. It’s not about getting disappointed because you can’t drive the ball as far as Rory. It’s hugely disheartening when you can no longer play shots that you have executed in the past, maybe even a couple of holes ago.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
cheers for all the replies.

I 100% take my score too seriously, I've been like this with everything and I find it really hard not to do that.

I wish I had a problem with my game that I knew about so I could get it fixed but it seems to be a few mistakes every round that throws a double or 2 on my card and ruins it, always different mistakes.

I'm gunna make more effort to figure out what the mistakes are each round and see if there is a common problem.
Honestly…my advice is to not do this. You won’t be able to identify any core issue with your swing. You might find something that seems to work…until it doesn‘t or it breaks another part of your game to that which you think you have fixed. And that is massively frustrating and depressing. Invest (as that is what you are doing) in a few lessons with a pro.

I suspect that you don’t make major personal finance decisions without recourse to a financial advisor as they understand these things and can assess your individual situation and work out what’s best for you. Exactly the same applies for golf.

Plus once you know of any core issue you might have to fix, and you know (as you will have been advised) what you should do and work on - with confidence that you are on the right track. Plus having had taken away the uncertainty and frustration of not knowing is huge…well it was for me.

Springveldt

Visit site
Count the number of really good shots you hit in an 18 hole round.
If it is over 15 you are doing well.
It is a much better way of judging your improvement than scores.
15? Maybe my expectations are too high but if I hit over 5 "really good shots" per round I'd be amazed.

View attachment 48210
Are you maybe putting too much pressure on yourself on the course, making it a mental thing? I know I do that to myself, especially since my index came down into the old Cat 1 region (although I'd have never gotten here under CONGU). I've definitely got Imposter Syndrome when it comes to golf and my handicap so I'm embarrassed when I need to hand a card in with 89 on it when you're a lowish single figure handicapper. It's stupid as I know no one gives a damn about my scores but sometimes I put pressure on myself because of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The frustrating part about being in a slump is that you are playing below your known ability. It’s not about getting disappointed because you can’t drive the ball as far as Rory. It’s hugely disheartening when you can no longer play shots that you have executed in the past, maybe even a couple of holes ago.
Yeah, golf has a way of making us look very silly. I swear in other sports, once you've practised and got good at a particular aspect, you stay good at it unless you cease playing for a long time. In golf you can be a great driver, or putter, or whatever, until suddenly you're not anymore. It just disappears without warning or explanation.

D

Deleted member 25172

15? Maybe my expectations are too high but if I hit over 5 "really good shots" per round I'd be amazed.

Are you maybe putting too much pressure on yourself on the course, making it a mental thing? I know I do that to myself, especially since my index came down into the old Cat 1 region (although I'd have never gotten here under CONGU). I've definitely got Imposter Syndrome when it comes to golf and my handicap so I'm embarrassed when I need to hand a card in with 89 on it when you're a lowish single figure handicapper. It's stupid as I know no one gives a damn about my scores but sometimes I put pressure on myself because of it.
You're 100% right, on all counts. Just like you, I'm putting myself under way to much pressure and although there's obviously something technically wrong, I think that the main problem sits right between the ears.

With the relatively low handicap I did have, I most definitely felt like an imposter when signing my card mid/high 80's, and now that my handicap is going upwards I'm equally scared to shoot a low round and be branded a bandit. Lose lose situation that is all made up in the twisted head of mine! :ROFLMAO:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Honestly…my advice is to not do this. You won’t be able to identify any core issue with your swing. You might find something that seems to work…until it doesn‘t or it breaks another part of your game to that which you think you have fixed. And that is massively frustrating and depressing. Invest (as that is what you are doing) in a few lessons with a pro.

I suspect that you don’t make major personal finance decisions without recourse to a financial advisor as they understand these things and can assess your individual situation and work out what’s best for you. Exactly the same applies for golf.

Plus once you know of any core issue you might have to fix, and you know (as you will have been advised) what you should do and work on - with confidence that you are on the right track. Plus having had taken away the uncertainty and frustration of not knowing is huge…well it was for me.

I read his reply differently to you I think. I think he meant he is going to try and understand what it is in his game that is costing him most shots ie driving, irons, around the green, putting etc.

Once he's identified that he can then delve a bit deeper into those areas - is he hooking/slicing his drives, chunking/thinning irons and wedges etc

Once he's identified the above, then he'll be in a better position to tell a pro or coach where he feels he needs to improve.

For me personally I was missing a lot of greens on my approaches last year. So I had a lesson earlier this year to work on my iron play which has made a massive difference.

Unfortunately, despite being Mr Consistent with my driver last year that's dropped off a cliff since chasing distance over winter. But once I get that sorted again i feel as though my game will be in a better place and the enjoyment will come back.

I echo the sentiment of not trying to fix things yourself but understanding what it is that needs to be fixed can only help you and the professional identify and work on the fixes quicker.

Fabia999

Visit site
I read his reply differently to you I think. I think he meant he is going to try and understand what it is in his game that is costing him most shots ie driving, irons, around the green, putting etc.

Once he's identified that he can then delve a bit deeper into those areas - is he hooking/slicing his drives, chunking/thinning irons and wedges etc

Once he's identified the above, then he'll be in a better position to tell a pro or coach where he feels he needs to improve.

For me personally I was missing a lot of greens on my approaches last year. So I had a lesson earlier this year to work on my iron play which has made a massive difference.

Unfortunately, despite being Mr Consistent with my driver last year that's dropped off a cliff since chasing distance over winter. But once I get that sorted again i feel as though my game will be in a better place and the enjoyment will come back.

I echo the sentiment of not trying to fix things yourself but understanding what it is that needs to be fixed can only help you and the professional identify and work on the fixes quicker.

Yeah, that is what I meant. broke it down into 4 categories. driving, approach, chipping, putting.

My driving is fine generally, chipping has seen a significant improvement since I watched Dan Grieve and my putter is red hot atm. I am thinning so many irons now. I never had this problem before and I'm not sure what I've changed.

My course management isn't the best either. trying to work on it.

Wish i could just 'get over' myself with my score believe me, I've tried for a long time. I'll always get annoyed when I play bad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, that is what I meant. broke it down into 4 categories. driving, approach, chipping, putting.

My driving is fine generally, chipping has seen a significant improvement since I watched Dan Grieve and my putter is red hot atm. I am thinning so many irons now. I never had this problem before and I'm not sure what I've changed.

Wish i could just 'get over' myself with my score believe me, I've tried for a long time. I'll always get annoyed when I play bad.
Keep your head down. :p

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

I feel your frustrations, as I mentioned earlier, golf is a difficult game to master.
You described very well just how most higher handicappers have problems with.
If I can give one piece of advice - keep your eye on the ball with all shots. It's difficult to do but concentrate as you address the ball.
I find if I manage to do just that, it usually ends up with a really good accurate strike!
Good luck 🤞

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You quoting Dan Grieve.
he advocates letting the clubhead overtaking the hands in the release.
maybe your doing this with your iron shots ?
I would explain why your thinning a lot.
your hands need to be in front of the ball at impact .
just a thought.

Springveldt

Visit site

On a positive note a thin is much better than a chunk. On my bad days I'm a chunker, wish I could thin it on those days.