Close all golf courses !

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I find amusing about this is that I news is a very London centric paper and London probably has more parks and large open public spaces than most other towns and cities.

Where I live in Somerset there are very few public open spaces in comparison because it is mainly farmland or privately owned large estates.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
What I find amusing about this is that I news is a very London centric paper and London probably has more parks and large open public spaces than most other towns and cities.

Where I live in Somerset there are very few public open spaces in comparison because it is mainly farmland or privately owned large estates.
I’d encourage any muppet to spend some time on a course and see the wildlife on it! Ours has a thriving colony of protected endangered newts amongst the usual rabbits, feathered variety of ducks, herons, geese, peasants and ducks on the ground plus woodpeckers hawks and owls featuring amongst the trees. I’ve even seen foxes.

And if they camp out on a hole, they’re fair game with my ball…..or maybe safer than they would be in the trees 😂

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It is an asbolute ridiculous argument. Usually made by people who think all golf courses are like Wentworth where the richest play and no one else is allowed on.

Golf courses provide not only much needed large green spaces in between urban areas, much larger than usual parks or nature reserves, they are fantastic examples of good ecological diversity with lots of different fauna and flora. Mature trees and grass which is great for pollination, but this attracts animals from rodents, birds, insects (including rarer beetles as they are safer on golf courses than elsewhere).

So really their main gripe is they can't go for a walk there. Which is probably a misunderstanding of the majority of courses. A lot of courses have public rights of way, a lot I doubt would care if people wanted to walk there as long as they were respectful of the fact that it is a golf course

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It is an asbolute ridiculous argument. Usually made by people who think all golf courses are like Wentworth where the richest play and no one else is allowed on.

Golf courses provide not only much needed large green spaces in between urban areas, much larger than usual parks or nature reserves, they are fantastic examples of good ecological diversity with lots of different fauna and flora. Mature trees and grass which is great for pollination, but this attracts animals from rodents, birds, insects (including rarer beetles as they are safer on golf courses than elsewhere).

So really their main gripe is they can't go for a walk there. Which is probably a misunderstanding of the majority of courses. A lot of courses have public rights of way, a lot I doubt would care if people wanted to walk there as long as they were respectful of the fact that it is a golf course
Wentworth is a hell-hole surrounded on three sides by a middle class ghetto. It looks like a location for a Midsomer Murders episode.
;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Weren't a lot of links courses built on the land between the sea towns where nothing else could actually be build as it was so unsuitable...

I mean my golf course used to be a quarry, then landfill .. then used crossrail land to shape it into a course ... I don't see many councils etc willing or able to do such a project to do something useful with the land

Now you got a Thriving club , with gym and a range and a par 3 course which gets youth into golf

But nope waste of land lol 😆

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is, this will keep happening whilst golf retains its PR nightmare of an image. Whilst people who golf will point out changes and how it is a misconception, that never gets out to the world at large and so it will always remain a target and this is why there is little public support for action when a course is sold off for housing. The argument may be ridiculous but there are grounds for looking at what golf can do to take the entitled image target off its back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thing is, this will keep happening whilst golf retains its PR nightmare of an image. Whilst people who golf will point out changes and how it is a misconception, that never gets out to the world at large and so it will always remain a target and this is why there is little public support for action when a course is sold off for housing. The argument may be ridiculous but there are grounds for looking at what golf can do to take the entitled image target off its back.

Not being funny you can change the image of a lot of things but still people don't change their opinion

Skoda is an example, some refuse to accept how good they are now

Another excellent example is London boroughs.. 58 years they have been around and the outter ones are London and not Kent , Essex etc but still people believe otherwise

You can lead a horse to water.

sunshine

Visit site
Wentworth is a hell-hole surrounded on three sides by a middle class ghetto. It looks like a location for a Midsomer Murders episode.
;)

Never watched midsomer murders. But I like the idea of Russian oligarchs / gangsters and Arab sheikhs getting offended at being called middle class.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Never watched midsomer murders. But I like the idea of Russian oligarchs / gangsters and Arab sheikhs getting offended at being called middle class.
Living in a middle class ghetto does not necessarily make you middle class by definition.
But if your description of the typical residents around Wentworth is accurate, then my description of a hell-hole is also accurate, I believe.

Last edited: