Cheats

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is the OP er talking about Texas scrambles /team events as our opens up here are all drawn individual stroke play events with the odd walk on here and there. There have been some rumblings about a couple of the walk ons and TS, but no open events.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sorry, I assumed he was cat 1 - I know he scored 72, for 44 points, and CSS would have been 72 I guess. When do you become CAT 1?

5 and below, as Duncan said.

Could well be division 1 at your club depending on if/how your club slices up divisions, mine is div 1 up to 12, which is actually cat 1 and 2 lumped together.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ethan - do you not think people who protect their handicaps and throw rounds to get .1 back and then win a great competition with a false handicap are not cheats?

Yes, but it is much less clear than someone who uses the leather mashie. Handicappers often blow the last hole or two. I did so myself last Sunday and avoided a handicap cut that I really wanted, but someone could have looked at my card and wondered.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's ok monaing about them, but how can we protect against them?

I've been on the wrong end of cheats twice. You will never totally eradicate them, but you can help to minimise them.

What about suggestions for that? I'd suggest:-

1. All registered CONGU players carry a lifetime pass/ID card. Picture a must, and their CDH number on it.

2. Make all opens qualifiers and all the betterball and team games players have to putt out, and people who "place" have their cards sent into their clubs, which can lead to them getting handicap adjustments. Not perfect, but a start.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had our auction tonight for Captains Day. The MC announced one player as' The next player up stood on the 18th last week and hit his tee shot OOB to gain 0.1 and go up to 12 - it's Nelly the cheat' It was taken in jest but it can put doubt in peoples minds.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have to say I've been called a bandit a time or two, I'm playing off about 24 but have played a lot better on occasion only yesterday I played the first 7 at work and averaged 1 over on each hole and was doing ok until I got to the 8th when I struck a wayward rescue and then proceeded to put in a 7 on a par 4 and then proceeded to put in an 8 on the "9th/par 4" so am I a "bandit" or a "handicap cheat" no I don't think so I'm just an "unfit old git" who runs out of energy by about 1/2 way round and it all goes to pot after that !...:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know the system is far from perfect and it is open to manipulation. I disagree with the notion that you can tell a handicap from a PP's swing. There will always be those that look to protect their handicap and clean up. Not sure what you can do to change it

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Bandits are as often than not players whose game is coming together quicker than the handicap system can keep up.
Reminds me of an awful situation I was in many years ago.
I got down to 9 as a "youngster". Then I gave up after moving about a bit before retuning to the game at a different course miles away. I put my cards in (which reflected me "getting back into the game") and got a 27 handicap. I pointed out to the handicap secretary I thought it was far too high but he told me that "they were the cards you put in" - which were genuine by the way!
Queue the 1st competition (which was a big one to make matter worse). Not only did I play excellently but lady luck was also on my side - chipping in on one hole. I won the comp by a mile - and was then openly (to my face) accused of cheating the system by more than one member (including a committee member).
Took months before I felt I could show my face again - and I never did anything wrong!!

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bandits are as often than not players whose game is coming together quicker than the handicap system can keep up.
Reminds me of an awful situation I was in many years ago.
I got down to 9 as a "youngster". Then I gave up after moving about a bit before retuning to the game at a different course miles away. I put my cards in (which reflected me "getting back into the game") and got a 27 handicap. I pointed out to the handicap secretary I thought it was far too high but he told me that "they were the cards you put in" - which were genuine by the way!
Queue the 1st competition (which was a big one to make matter worse). Not only did I play excellently but lady luck was also on my side - chipping in on one hole. I won the comp by a mile - and was then openly (to my face) accused of cheating the system by more than one member (including a committee member).
Took months before I felt I could show my face again - and I never did anything wrong!!

You never did anything wrong but the Handicap Secretary certainly did. He had to take your previous playing/handicap history into account when allocating. I cannot believe that he allocated purely on the 3 cards without taking a declared previous handicap of 9 into account - he should have been given the order of the boot.

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
Don't think I did declare it when I put the cards in to be fair but I definately did bring it up with him when I went back to him to say 27 was fat too high.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you Bobmac? I presumed your handicap is your handicap. My issue was 20 years ago so no longer relevant.

Rule 6/2/b

In any round of a handicap competition, the competitor must ensure that his handicap is recorded on his score card before it is returned to the Committee. If no handicap is recorded on his score card before it is returned (Rule 6-6b), or if the recorded handicap is higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes received, he is disqualified from the handicap competition; otherwise, the score stands.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=91D13325-911F-4573-A709-5D6CCDAB414B

Topflite

Hacker
Visit site
You live and learn Bobmac. I would have thought that in recording a handicap lower than your actual handicap would still be wrong though apparently not.