Enjoy it while you can

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We all at times have a love hate relationship with this beautiful game, and occasionally people leave because it frustrates them and they develop a hate for it. I love it, and especially the banter with the guys. But what about all those fabulous courses, especially on the warm days when golf is easy. There's the GM 100 list that always causes healthy debate, and what a list to work from too. And then there's all those hidden gems, often accompanied with a decent room in a pub or quaint hotel.

Then there's the different formats and competitions. And if you're lucky enough, inter-club matches, scratch leagues and 36 holes comps. New friends are made at so many different clubs and society meets. Occasionally we bump into someone we played many years ago, and over a pint you talk about that round, e.g. in 1984 I had an 18 hole matchplay k'out that went 46 holes!

Since I retired 2 years ago I got back to Cat1 and posted a couple of rounds under par gross - even had a round with 2 eagles in it - a lot of years since I last did that. 52 years of fabulous golf. But the last 6 months have been very painful, or should I say the pain levels that have been there for many years have risen.

X-rays and MRI is in, and the last meeting with the Consultant done...… the clubs were sold yesterday, and I don't mind admitting with tears in my eyes. Thankfully, I've known for the last 12 years that my game has been on borrowed time, and I've made the very best of that time. So please don't read this as a "woe is me" post - I'm comfortable with where I'm at. Please read it as a gentle reminder to go out there and enjoy it. Have a laugh, a blast and build a 'book of memories' for when you can't play again.

Good luck, play well.

Wolf

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Hobbit.. If you don't mind me ask what's prognosis that has lef to hanging up your spikes..

But like you said you've many good memories of the game, your niw living in sunnier climes and you've from what ive read become a bit of a hustler on the bowling green for your next big sporting adventure.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Very sorry to hear that Brian.:( You must have some great memories though over 52 years. Being a youngster I only have 47 years to look back on, so far.

I assume you will be still able to win all the pots on the bowling green ?

Hopefully your fingers are still working, so you can stay in touch on here.(y)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sad news Brian, I was hoping to get a game with you sometime at Val de Este, but enjoy your new hobby El Bandito bowler lol.
I don't think I'll be golfing for much longer either due to back problems, and my lack of skill :cry:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No more freezing your bits off at Cleveland in January? You could always caddy for one of us ?.

Lots of us play a sport and then have to stop. Golfers are luckier than most as your golf lifespan can be so much longer. That means even more pleasure, more happy memories. How great is that? Bowls next up, enjoy ?. The good news is that surely changing your bowls set every 12 months has to be cheaper than changing your irons ?.

Keep posting.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sad to hear Brian but glad that you are able to put a positive spin on it.

Enjoy your bowls and anything else that takes your fancy and keep on posting your works of wisdom.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So sorry to hear that Brian. Really enjoyed reading your posts on here.

I met you off the M62 and bought a couple of clubs from you a few years ago.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You'll miss it Brian but I suspect bowls will fill the gap to some extent and I wish you well. My biggest regret is that I never got to play with you ?

Best wishes ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Really sorry to hear you won’t be playing anymore but glad you will still be on here posting - we have had disagreements, we have had agreements but regardless of what your opinion is it has always been done in a respectful manner and always with a balanced thought of both sides of the debate ?

Enjoy your bowls and we hope to see at a H4H day once again soonb

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mind you if you can accommodate having lived for a long period in Redcar (Bri will know what I mean), then Aberdeen before finishing up in a beautiful part of S Spain..... you can pretty much adjust to anything.
I guess you've suspect it was coming for a while but in the end it becomes a loosing battle so better to move on to other challenges/pleasures. So sorry it's been forced on you in this way but all the best & good luck for the future.
Just wondered will you be ok for a Yarkshire v NE bowls match in a few years time??
All the best.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
hobbit, gutted to hear someone else is gonna get better use out of your clubs. Always liked/ like reading your middle of the rd posts. Reminds me of me a bit ?. Hope your scans are not to bad and are more of “a stitch in time”.
I have a bit of a belief that I want to leave this life with memories and not dreams. Reading your post, well there’s a few memories in there with a few more to come. Good luck with the bowls, you never said what hcap your bowls is or which tees your bowling off.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
hobbit, gutted to hear someone else is gonna get better use out of your clubs. Always liked/ like reading your middle of the rd posts. Reminds me of me a bit ?. Hope your scans are not to bad and are more of “a stitch in time”.
I have a bit of a belief that I want to leave this life with memories and not dreams. Reading your post, well there’s a few memories in there with a few more to come. Good luck with the bowls, you never said what hcap your bowls is or which tees your bowling off.
Bowls depends on how low he can stoop lol

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Very sad to read your news Brian.

You've always been a thoughtful poster who says it like it is, hope you're able to stay around on the forum to give us the benefit of your wisdom for many years to come. (But if you've had enough of us lot and want to bow out I can quite understand!)

I think we only played together the once but I remember enjoying that round at Woodhall.

The sentiment of your post comes at a good time for me as I'll be semi-retiring in March and hope to make the most of a good few more years swinging the antiques around the fairways of the shorter and occasionally longer courses.

Take care of yourself Brian.