Enjoy it while you can

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brian, played with you at Gailes and you kicked my arse. Two birdies on the trot in crazy winds. Your swing was tidy.

I still hope you’ll hang out on the forum, but maybe there’s a Bowl Monthly website out there where you can talk custom fitting, Stack And Bowl, ‘how far can you bowl’ and do you change your bowling shoes in the car park.

Take care.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Terrible news, but as expected delivered in an uplifting and positive note, with a life lesson for us all.

As others have said an extremely good poster, who brings new and intelligent angles on most subjects, rather than just sitting on the fence.

A real sad day, and the forum will definitely be a poorer place if you dont frequent it as much.

Enjoy the next adventures, pint of guinness in hand.

Best of luck, Bri.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Brian, played with you at Gailes and you kicked my arse. Two birdies on the trot in crazy winds. Your swing was tidy.

I still hope you’ll hang out on the forum, but maybe there’s a Bowl Monthly website out there where you can talk custom fitting, Stack And Bowl, ‘how far can you bowl’ and do you change your bowling shoes in the car park.

Take care.

where to stand when others are bowling a glaring omission ;)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Take care.

just found a bowls forum, just found am sure Ave found a bowls Tashyboy. God help you Hobbit.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hobbit/Brian...So very well put and sums up my situation 'to a t'Have had to get rid of one set of clubs(Wilsons)and a locker and downgraded my full membership(c£950) to a play/practise midweek this year@c£350ish.And that will depend on getting some sort sense of balance back(can swing back slowly but can't follow through at any speed without falling on my ass.All due to the stroke and seizures damage,but hey-ho mates and SWMBO all say I've been damaged for years:confused:.
I had already resigned myself to maybe walking the 18 and then the 19th(no alcohol allowed either:cry:)with the mates and still enjoy the banter/jokes about even being alive enough to even do that (given my talking to the great big captain in the sky so many times)!
But,you know what?..I'd do it all again tomorrow!Met some great people,truly really good people/mates-great days and nights out -some I can't remember they were so good!
So,Brian like your goodself the good far outweighs the bad and so many great memories.Loved it all(yes,even when ex-wife was lady captain:LOL:)
Sorry for taking forever to agree with your nicely put point!!!
Jimbo

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Take care.
You arse must be sore after all those kicking's from us old guys:ROFLMAO::p:D

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Really sorry to hear that, Brian. It's a joy to be able to play the game when we're well past the age when we can indulge in most sports, but no less sad when you have to give it up. A lot of older golfers I know also enjoy bowls & I hop this continues to give you pleasure.

All the best.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can’t life be a bitch at times - but it’s the only one we have so best to make the best of it a day at a time - and change what we must to be able to do that. Sorry to hear your news Brian.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wow!

I really do appreciate all the kind words, and the time you all took to post up. Perhaps they validate my thoughts on what golf brings, a camaraderie. There's so many I have played with, yes I do remember the hail and wind Dave, and yes I do remember meeting up with Marshy on the M62(and at Cleveland when you were playing with 2Blue). And there's a number I'd hoped to play with, e.g. Chrisd, Hogie and LP to name just a few.

For those that asked, some via PM, its nothing sinister just old age (is 61 old?) and what a full on life of sport can bring, with an added twist of being a failed pedestrian. Badly worn lower, lumber vertebrae and dehydrated discs - narrowing the gaps between the vertebrae and leading to them nipping the nerves. Damaged discs in the neck, courtesy of a broken neck playing rugby, and a lot of arthritis therein.

Bending for the bowls seems ok, although there's a stiffness by the end of a game but the twisting associated with golf is very much a "no."

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow!

I really do appreciate all the kind words, and the time you all took to post up. Perhaps they validate my thoughts on what golf brings, a camaraderie. There's so many I have played with, yes I do remember the hail and wind Dave, and yes I do remember meeting up with Marshy on the M62(and at Cleveland when you were playing with 2Blue). And there's a number I'd hoped to play with, e.g. Chrisd, Hogie and LP to name just a few.

For those that asked, some via PM, its nothing sinister just old age (is 61 old?) and what a full on life of sport can bring, with an added twist of being a failed pedestrian. Badly worn lower, lumber vertebrae and dehydrated discs - narrowing the gaps between the vertebrae and leading to them nipping the nerves. Damaged discs in the neck, courtesy of a broken neck playing rugby, and a lot of arthritis therein.

Bending for the bowls seems ok, although there's a stiffness by the end of a game but the twisting associated with golf is very much a "no."

Get it all replaced - works for me !

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bri,

I wish you all the best mate, the world of bowling are in for some fun mate??.
I was lucky enough to have a round with you at a meet and found you to be a cracking bloke who likes a laugh,it may of helped that I had my first ever birdie playing that round ????

Guy...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brian, sometimes playing the game is not it’s only pleasure. I hope you can enjoy watching the game played at all levels and pass on your experience to those who are new.
I find myself enthralled by others games .. it’s good and it’s bad :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Brian, sometimes playing the game is not it’s only pleasure. I hope you can enjoy watching the game played at all levels and pass on your experience to those who are new.
I find myself enthralled by others games .. it’s good and it’s bad :)

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the end of season Challenge tour events at Desert Springs, out here in southern Spain, and will continue to go to them. In the main the players are very accessible and its great to chat as they're going round. We'll probably do a couple of the European Tour events this year too. The Portuguese Masters being our favourite out here, then its just a case of where in Spain they are playing.

The course they played the Spanish Open at in 2018 was at best a half decent goat track and, hopefully, won't be seen for a good while yet. Its too new, and playing that far north so early in the year wasn't a good idea.

I've kept my putter - love putting, and might throw it in a rental bag later in the year when my son comes over.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bri - I had a miserable knock yesterday but your pragmatism over choosing to retire your bats enabled me to be reflective and thankful that I am so fortunate...?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I already knew Brian's news was in the offing as I've had the pleasure of playing with him a few times in the past 15 months or so - most recently just a few days before Christmas. For someone as passionate about the game as he has been over the past few decades, I was surprised at his sanguinity and calm acceptance of parting company with a game he loved for so long. I certainly wouldn't be able to do that.

I'd just like to say that if golf generates camaraderie & sportsmanship, then Brian is the very epitome of golf. I first met him when he came round to pick me up at my holiday "digs", with a spare set of clubs in the boot to lend me. Then drove me about 40 miles each way to the golf course and back. And he didnt know me from Adam apart from a few posts on here and a PM I'd sent him.

Cheers Brian; sorry to learn your news is confirmed - but hope the bowling comes together. And thanks for everything. A beer & tapas next time I'm over !