Cheats

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The thread reminds me of the 4 handicap who came on the scene & enjoyed a fair bit of prize success while getting down to scratch over the next 8 months

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolute rubbish.

Of course anyone can shoot lower than their handicap otherwise how else are you going to get cut.

But the op suggested in he could tell what handicap someone could be by seeing him hit the ball[rubbish].

He also suggested he could hit par off his 11 handicap of course he can anythings possible.

But I know that i don't think i could shoot 11 under my handicap at all.

Pokerjoke doesn't like assumptions being made against him but can't resist constantly assuming himself! :)

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the worst cases are the national matchplays when you see the same names getting a free holiday in Portugal or Dubai every year. I've stopped playing in those for the time being.

I play in opens because it's a relatively cheap way to play nice courses, often with a bit of food thrown in as well.

If it bothers you that much, just stick to opens that are handicap qualifying. I don't imagine true bandits would want to play in those.

Exactly those competitions Region3. Unfortunately some take my comments completely out of context and think I'm saying nobody is entitled to a good round.

I didn't know open handicap qualifying events existed! I'll have a look for some thanks.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I have absolutely no problem with people thinking they are better than they are,in fact i believe i could get to cat1 and i believe i could shoot a few under my handicap.

But 11 shots? that's a lot of confidence.

Yes, I have lots of confidence. Like I said though, realistically... probably not. Not yet anyway!

Mid to late 40 points scoring is what I'm getting at here though, and people are regularly doing it in some national competitions, hence my post.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think you really can tell what handicap a player is from seeing his swing. I played in two games recently, the first in a 4 ball with someone the rest of us didn't know, he stood on the tee and bazookered a 5 iron like a pro and did so for most of the round as well as for his 2nd shots too - but he didn't break 100. I played a singles knockout against an 11 handicapper who had the worst swing in the golfing world but played well under that in beating me!

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think you really can tell what handicap a player is from seeing his swing. I played in two games recently, the first in a 4 ball with someone the rest of us didn't know, he stood on the tee and bazookered a 5 iron like a pro and did so for most of the round as well as for his 2nd shots too - but he didn't break 100. I played a singles knockout against an 11 handicapper who had the worst swing in the golfing world but played well under that in beating me!

Ok I'm obviously not a genius and can't predict everyone's handicap. But wouldn't you be slightly suspicious if someone looked to have every aspect of the game to a very good level and when you ask what handicap they are they come out with 19... before getting 45 points..?
This was after a 42 in a competition the last time you saw the bloke.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok I'm obviously not a genius and can't predict everyone's handicap. But wouldn't you be slightly suspicious if someone looked to have every aspect of the game to a very good level and when you ask what handicap they are they come out with 19... before getting 45 points..?
This was after a 42 in a competition the last time you saw the bloke.

I think we are all suspicious of others handicaps, mine recently has gone from 10 to 13 and not far off 14 - I've recently found the sweetspot again and I'm going to blitz the course one day soon and everyone will say I am a bandit! I'm not a bandit though, I have just got over a swing crisis but continued to play in regular and vet comps and .1 added up to 3 times a week soon mounts up. I play in most of the club comps and if I were to win one again I frankly wouldn't give a toss what others think about my handicap, I've worked really hard to get my swing back but if you looked at my swing it's not that of a 14 h/c

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There is a problem with the CONGU handicapping system, in that a good score in a non-qualifying open competition will not trigger a handicap reduction. Hence bandits can thrive by rarely playing in club competitions and/or deliberately playing badly. At least when I managed to score 46 points, it was in a club qualifier and I got cut 3 shots for this.

Last edited:

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure it happens, and I get called bandit all the time even though I'm not and always try my heart out whenever I play - there are times my play is way beyond a 22 handicapper, and I've shot 83 before. I normally however shoot high nineties.

I know that at some point soon i'll cause a furore because I will shoot low 80's in a competition, and get accused of all sorts - that's in spite of the fact I've only ever been cut once.

Funnily enough our midweek stableford this week was won by a Category 1 golfer who got 44 points - he shot gross 72. (it beat his best score ever by 6 shots. It never crossed my mind that he was a bandit, I congratulated him on a fantastic round, and felt really good for him)

seems there's a lot of jealously in some people - ive only been playing a year, and always enjoy congratulating people for doing well, not thinking that they may be "cheats" or "bandits"

Also, don't forget that golf is the kind of game where variance in scores is normal - and more acute than in other sports. Rory shot 83 followed by 64 the next day in an open championship a few years back. does the 64 make him a bandit?

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Also, don't forget that golf is the kind of game where variance in scores is normal - and more acute than in other sports. Rory shot 83 followed by 64 the next day in an open championship a few years back. does the 64 make him a bandit?

Nope but the 83 might :D

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a problem with the CONGU handicapping system, in that a good score in a non-qualifying open competition will not trigger a handicap reduction. Hence bandits can thrive by rarely playing in club competitions and/or deliberately playing badly.

the inference I take from your choice of words is that other handicapping systems will handle this...up until your use of 'hence...' you were on solid ground but then it gave away big time! Even if these individuals accurately returned such a score to their handicap record they would have the rest of the month (changes once a month) to return 'other scores' which would balance out any impact on their actual handicap index.

of course the real problem in your example is that any individual stroke play open event should obviously be run as a Q one - if it isn't you know to keep well clear as the organisers are targeting that field!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
An ex-captain shot a 9-under nett 63 in the Captains Day comp week past Saturday. Bandit? Nope - just the best round of his life (and he's retired) by a long shot. And he reckons he'll never score lower. It happens. He won.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough our midweek stableford this week was won by a Category 1 golfer who got 44 points - he shot gross 72. (it beat his best score ever by 6 shots. It never crossed my mind that he was a bandit, I congratulated him on a fantastic round, and felt really good for him)

Category 1? Are you sure?
What is par?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Walliams - I'm off 11 and am capable of shooting a level par

That would give you 47 points. But you're complaining about people scoring mid to high 40's in these comps? Does that mean that you will class yourself as a cheat the day you have that brilliant round and shoot level par?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
sorry, I assumed he was cat 1 - I know he scored 72, for 44 points, and CSS would have been 72 I guess. When do you become CAT 1?

par is the relevant factor for the conversion of handicap to points in stableford (CSS to the subsequent conversion of score to new handicap).

so if par was 72 then an 8 handicap golfer shooting 72 would score 44 points; then if CSS was 72, and he started at 8.0, he would go to 6.4 as a new handicap...simples