Changing size of putter grip during a round.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
During a mid week comp this week one of my 3 ball was trying out using a thicker grip.
Fine I hear you say but because the thicker grip wouldnt fit in his bag he was fitting it before putting
then taking it off after. (he was actually using a piece of pipe insulation as a grip).
Is this strictly legal or should I have said something?
As an after it didnt help his putting :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
During a mid week comp this week one of my 3 ball was trying out using a thicker grip.
Fine I hear you say but because the thicker grip wouldnt fit in his bag he was fitting it before putting
then taking it off after. (he was actually using a piece of pipe insulation as a grip).
Is this strictly legal or should I have said something?
As an after it didnt help his putting :)

pretty clear cut. 4. 2 a tells us that during a stipulated round, the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means. Adding, and then subtracting, the additional grip material would change the playing chacteristics.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah thanks for that Duncan thought so will have a word with the bloke next week if he is still doing it.
Thankfully his score had no effect on the result other than he went up .1 lol

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
But surely if he is using the putter with the same grip each time, then the club isnt being modified, it is just being dismantled to fit in his bag, then reassembled to take the next putt.

If he were taking some shots without the big grip then clearly this is a breach, but I dont see the above as a problem

total pain in the doo dahs though

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
But surely if he is using the putter with the same grip each time, then the club isnt being modified, it is just being dismantled to fit in his bag, then reassembled to take the next putt.

While what you say makes some sense, although you might argue that there is no saying that each time the grip is put on, it is exactly the same.

But that's irrelevant. Rule 4-2 is quite clear - you cannot change the playing characteristics of a club during the round. There is no allowance for reversing the process before you use it. Changing is a breach.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got a feeling that I read in the Decisions that you could wrap a towel round a grip if you so wanted, this practice wouldn't be too far adrift from that.

I've been looking for it but can't find it so maybe I dreamt the whole thing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a feeling that I read in the Decisions that you could wrap a towel round a grip if you so wanted, this practice wouldn't be too far adrift from that.

I've been looking for it but can't find it so maybe I dreamt the whole thing.

14-3 c (iii)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

Thanks Duncan.

So to the OP, your playing partner just needs to blow his nose a few times on the pipe insulation and everything's fine. ;)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
While what you say makes some sense, although you might argue that there is no saying that each time the grip is put on, it is exactly the same.

But that's irrelevant. Rule 4-2 is quite clear - you cannot change the playing characteristics of a club during the round. There is no allowance for reversing the process before you use it. Changing is a breach.
Does this mean that removing the head cover from my driver when I take it out of the bag (which certainly changes its playing characteristics) is a rule breach? ;)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does this mean that removing the head cover from my driver when I take it out of the bag (which certainly changes its playing characteristics) is a rule breach? ;)

Absolutely ;) So if you start with the cover on, keep it on and enjoy its playing characteristics. :D

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
If I remove the foam to get my putter in my bag then attach the foam to put I'm breaking a rule.
But if I simply carry the putter around or attach it to the outside of my bag or trolley between holes I'm not breaking the rules?