Catching someone ‘cheating’ during a round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Happened a couple of times during a round with friends, same guy. He’d knock a shot off on his scorecard. He’s been playing for over 20 years. I pulled him on it for the banter to which he claims it was an honest mistake.

Not sure how much of this goes on during comp play?

Discuss

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Happened a couple of times during a round with friends, same guy. He’d knock a shot off on his scorecard. He’s been playing for over 20 years. I pulled him on it for the banter to which he claims it was an honest mistake.

Not sure how much of this goes on during comp play?

Discuss

I think you’ve got to be pretty sure to actually pull someone up for cheating.

If you’re marking their card there’s ways you can lead the conversation to make them “remember” an uncounted shot.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you’ve got to be pretty sure to actually pull someone up for cheating.

If you’re marking their card there’s ways you can lead the conversation to make them “remember” an uncounted shot.
It's generally this way that it gets dealt with..... & folk learn that they've got to do it with that individual..... a responsibility that falls to you if you have his card. Some peoples habits you just can't change but you can 'manage' them.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
The same guy is always the one marking the cards. He’s competitive and pretty sure he knew what he was doing. Which was confirmed by the rest of us. It’s amusing because he’s quite a clued up bloke and for him not to remember his shot count is pretty far fetched.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The same guy is always the one marking the cards. He’s competitive and pretty sure he knew what he was doing. Which was confirmed by the rest of us. It’s amusing because he’s quite a clued up bloke and for him not to remember his shot count is pretty far fetched.

But in a comp, that’s not how cards are marked so he won’t have the opportunity

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Forgive me for asking but how do they work in comps?

In an individual comp you swap cards with someone. You put both scores on the card (yours in marker column), then both have to sign that they are correct at the end of the round. Usually confirming score on each hole as you go, this is likely where you would question any “miss counting”

Bamberdele21

Visit site
In an individual comp you swap cards with someone. You put both scores on the card (yours in marker column), then both have to sign that they are correct at the end of the round. Usually confirming score on each hole as you go, this is likely where you would question any “miss counting”

So in a 4 ball each individual will have a scorecard?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So in Social golf you keep a card as well..... he'll have to be 'managed' some how otherwise you'll just have to grin & bear it.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Correct.

All filled out with your handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap. You don’t want to get DQ’d for not filling it out properly.

So I know why my handicap is but where do I find my course handicap and playing handicap?
So in Social golf you keep a card as well..... he'll have to be 'managed' some how otherwise you'll just have to grin & bear it.

This

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So I know why my handicap is but where do I find my course handicap and playing handicap?

This

There will be a board by the first tee or club house that will have a table to show handicaps off each tee. That will convert you HI to course handicap.

Playing handicap will vary depending on the comp. but in an individual comp I believe they are all 95% of CH.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The people who I generally find “forget” what they have scored on holes tend to have 5,6,7s plus on the card. I played with a guy from work at Retford GC. He opened up with 2 12’s he put three balls in the allotments on the first hole. He said put me down for 9 on both holes. I marked his real score in pencil And his stated score in pen. I cannot remember the correct differnce but it was double figures.
On the last hole it’s a par five back to the clubhouse. He looked at the card and said “ am 1 shot behind you, I could still beat you” I put one down the middle. He put his in the field down the rhs and said “ I can find that”. It was 3ft high with rapeseed. Another PP said ” you might well do but it’s OOB so your three off the tee and 4 shots behind Tash”. We never played with him again.

Jason.H

Visit site
I imagine it’s very rare for a golfer to cheat. Our club uses fairway mats in the winter and I’ve seen a few using them off the fairways ie in the rough during a stableford. I questioned one guy playing off a Matt in the rough and he made out you can use them anywhere. He was in another group on an adjacent hole. I guess this is cheating.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
The people who I generally find “forget” what they have scored on holes tend to have 5,6,7s plus on the card. I played with a guy from work at Retford GC. He opened up with 2 12’s he put three balls in the allotments on the first hole. He said put me down for 9 on both holes. I marked his real score in pencil And his stated score in pen. I cannot remember the correct differnce but it was double figures.
On the last hole it’s a par five back to the clubhouse. He looked at the card and said “ am 1 shot behind you, I could still beat you” I put one down the middle. He put his in the field down the rhs and said “ I can find that”. It was 3ft high with rapeseed. Another PP said ” you might well do but it’s OOB so your three off the tee and 4 shots behind Tash”. We never played with him again.

?

I can’t help but find people that blag things like this amusing.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I imagine it’s very rare for a golfer to cheat. Our club uses fairway mats in the winter and I’ve seen a few using them off the fairways ie in the rough during a stableford. I questioned one guy playing off a Matt in the rough and he made out you can use them anywhere. He was in another group on an adjacent hole. I guess this is cheating.

a fairway mat? Brilliant. Is this a common thing on courses in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.