Catching someone ‘cheating’ during a round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
If you’re 100% certain a playing partner is cheating you’ve got 3 options, front him about it, report him or just refuse to play with him.

If you choose to ignore it then you become culpable.

Didn’t really bother me, more amusing.

Thought it was pretty common among mates to knock a few shots off here and there but not sure what lengths some people may go to within the game.

I’ve read about someone using vaseline on their clubs to stop slices/hooks etc

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played for years with a guy that was a habitual cheat. Always got his scores wrong. We pulled him up a number of times but he carried on doing it.
Finally saw him carry out the most unbelievable cheat on a week-end away with mates, I wanted to pull him up on it, but others players I was with suggested not to as it would created a bad atmosphere for the rest of the week-end.
I stopped playing with him from that day forward, and haven't seen him for years.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Didn’t really bother me, more amusing.

Thought it was pretty common among mates to knock a few shots off here and there but not sure what lengths some people may go to within the game.

I’ve read about someone using vaseline on their clubs to stop slices/hooks etc
No, no and no
Golf is built around the integrity to self manage the rules and that includes marking the right score. If there is a few quid per man on the line then he's cheating you and your mates out of money. I would mention it once as politely as possible, nit jokey as some think you're just "having a laugh", mention it a second time more forcibly saying you know he's putting wrong scores down and then a third time front him up and refuse to sign the card and tell him you're telling everyone in the roll up group or the secretary/handicap secretary if its a club comp. In fact in a comp, you'll get one warning and then I'd say I know the scores are wrong and go from there. What next, the old leather wedge in the rough, teeing it up in a bunker or another rule infringement

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played for years with a guy that was a habitual cheat. Always got his scores wrong. We pulled him up a number of times but he carried on doing it.
Finally saw him carry out the most unbelievable cheat on a week-end away with mates, I wanted to pull him up on it, but others players I was with suggested not to as it would created a bad atmosphere for the rest of the week-end.
I stopped playing with him from that day forward, and haven't seen him for years.

Sorry but u can't leave the story here.. what was the unbelievable one???

Swango1980

Visit site
I’ve got a handicap on ‘HowDidiDo’ but when I view my name on the teesheet it’s a different number by 2.

Is this what you mean by handicap index and players handicap?
The handicap on howdidido is the Index. This is NOT your handicap, it is just the starting point in working it out.

Your course handicap will he different depending on the course and tees you play. You can find this using the chart at the club, or even via App. This is effectively your handicap, and it will often be higher than your Index as most courses have a Slope a fair bit higher than 113. Course Handicap = Index x Slope/113

Finally, for comps, a playing allowance is often applied to the course handicap, and this allowance depends on the format. Singles Stableford, for example, is 95%. This is called the Playing Handicap

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sorry but u can't leave the story here.. what was the unbelievable one???
Playing at Lanhydrock in Cornwall. Lads weekend away. All played to the 3rd green and parked our buggies up. His ball was furthest from the pin and as he walked across to his ball he craftily dropped his marker on the ground about twenty feet closer to the hole. He assumed we weren't watching. Proceeded to pick his ball up, clean it, and put it down where his marker was.
I watched him do it, as clear as day. When I asked another one of my mates if he had seen it, he replied " no" but suggested not causing grief by mentioning it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a handicap on ‘HowDidiDo’ but when I view my name on the teesheet it’s a different number by 2.

I suggest you find out which app your club use to monitor handicaps, could be IG or something similar. Use this to keep track of your handicap and it will also give you your playing handicap at your club off each of the tees. You can also use it to find out your playing handicap at away courses if you enter the details of the away course.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing at Lanhydrock in Cornwall. Lads weekend away. All played to the 3rd green and parked our buggies up. His ball was furthest from the pin and as he walked across to his ball he craftily dropped his marker on the ground about twenty feet closer to the hole. He assumed we weren't watching. Proceeded to pick his ball up, clean it, and put it down where his marker was.
I watched him do it, as clear as day. When I asked another one of my mates if he had seen it, he replied " no" but suggested not causing grief by mentioning it.

20 feet ? Jesus .. everyone worries about those who mark to the front then replace to the back stealing an entire inch but 20 feet lol that's some balls lol

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

The handicap on HDID is your Handicap Index.
The handicap you use when playing depends on the tees and course you are playing. This is your Course Handicap. There should be a chart in the clubhouse or near the 1st tee.
In addition you may have a further adjustment depending on the type of competition/game you are playing. This is your Playing Handicap.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Nice one on explaining the HC situation. Fully understand now.

No, no and no
Golf is built around the integrity to self manage the rules and that includes marking the right score. If there is a few quid per man on the line then he's cheating you and your mates out of money. I would mention it once as politely as possible, nit jokey as some think you're just "having a laugh", mention it a second time more forcibly saying you know he's putting wrong scores down and then a third time front him up and refuse to sign the card and tell him you're telling everyone in the roll up group or the secretary/handicap secretary if its a club comp. In fact in a comp, you'll get one warning and then I'd say I know the scores are wrong and go from there. What next, the old leather wedge in the rough, teeing it up in a bunker or another rule infringement

Tbf these were all noted during games where no money was on the line. Bragging rights only. Can only assume since it happened more than once that he didn’t want to lose the stroke play to a newbie?

Saw this recently. Looks genius to me.

Swango1980

Visit site
Back to cheating:

Never seen anyone cheat, but one guy that played regularly has been spotted cheating. There were suspicions raised previously, especially as he never lost a ball. However, finally one guy saw him drop a ball from his pocket and then said he found his ball. He was shocked, and never wishes to play with him again.

In terms of marking scores, innocent mistakes can be made. It is why competitions require a marker, and for the 2 to verify scores afterwards. If you are just playing social golf, and rely on one person doing the scorecard, that is the risk you run. Either their own mistakes, or indeed if they are purposely cheating. If you suspect it, I'd be inclined to mark my own scorecard as well, and if you don't agree with their scores afterwards, then you can run through them again with them. You can submit social scores for handicap fairly easily (provided there are no course restrictions, which might be in place over winter) using Apps, and even a club PSI terminal. Golfers are encouraged to do so, so if you wished to do that then that would be a good reason for you, and others, to fill in scores (and thus you don't even have to say the reason you are doing it is because you suspect the other guy of cheating)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
another example of ‘cheating’ would be when I played the Brabazon.

4 ball stableford - I was invited along by someone I’ve known for a while and he’s played golf for many years. He went off 28 due to ‘not playing regularly’ even tho he’s been playing for a long time and is more than good.

Needless to say he scored about 50+ points and won.

is this classed as cheating? It really didn’t matter in hindsight because it was more about enjoying the course and having a laugh but I couldn’t help but think something didn’t quite add up when they did the scores at the end.

Swango1980

Visit site
another example of ‘cheating’ would be when I played the Brabazon.

4 ball stableford - I was invited along by someone I’ve known for a while and he’s played golf for many years. He went off 28 due to ‘not playing regularly’ even tho he’s been playing for a long time and is more than good.

Needless to say he scored about 50+ points and won.

is this classed as cheating? It really didn’t matter in hindsight because it was more about enjoying the course and having a laugh but I couldn’t help but think something didn’t quite add up when they did the scores at the end.
Some people have no shame

Status
Not open for further replies.