Catching someone ‘cheating’ during a round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swango1980

Visit site
I haven’t been into the club since I gained my handicap and all I’ve got in front of me is the app where all the next comps are listed which has let me add myself on to any tee time available with a click of a button.

I did subconsciously notice that there were numerous time slots taken that were 3 balls but have just added myself as a fourth without speaking to anyone.
Clubs will draw groups differently, and they may offer different options for different competitions.

Most clubs I'm aware off will avoid groups of 4 to speed up play, unless the competition specifically required groups of 4 (e.g. four ball better ball match play), or you are playing in an Open competition.

When signing in to competitions in your club, there may be simply an option to sign in with no groups appearing. You'll just appear on a list, and then the groups will be drawn at a set time before the competition. In your case, it sounds like the club allow you to sign into specific groups. However, if there are 4 slots available in each group, it sounds like the club are happy with groups of 4, otherwise they'd have limited it to slots of 3.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Clubs will draw groups differently, and they may offer different options for different competitions.

Most clubs I'm aware off will avoid groups of 4 to speed up play, unless the competition specifically required groups of 4 (e.g. four ball better ball match play), or you are playing in an Open competition.

When signing in to competitions in your club, there may be simply an option to sign in with no groups appearing. You'll just appear on a list, and then the groups will be drawn at a set time before the competition. In your case, it sounds like the club allow you to sign into specific groups. However, if there are 4 slots available in each group, it sounds like the club are happy with groups of 4, otherwise they'd have limited it to slots of 3.

Just rang and they said no issues there. Apparently i’m doing the right thing and is a decent way to meet members of the club.

He did mention during some comps that players are drawn into a hat and matched up that way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Separately but for me a reason why some do, or try to, cheat - the money that they might win if their cheating was to win - or get a payout place. The amounts that I hear some swindles/rollups playing for is for me, frankly, inconsistent with why we play friendly competitive golf.

Win my Saturday rollup and I might win £15…two weeks ago I was equal 2nd and won the fabulous amount of £4. And that is fine. I don’t play for the winnings, I play for the winning (if I can) and the camaraderie of a group of likeminded lads. Too much money at stake encourages cheating for the greedy and avaricious.

Sorry but I strongly disagree. We have weekend roll ups and only £3 per head but we can get big fields (27 last week and 18 in the bad weather this Saturday and around the 20 mark yesterday) and so the pot (Saturday pays first and second and Sunday is winner takes all but they MUST buy a round with their winnings) and most have been playing together for years. Never any cheating or any sign of it and they would soon get pulled up if anyone had a suspicion. I think its a judgemental to suggest too much cash encourages cheating. There is a simple choice and if you don't want to play with so much cash in the pot then don't. It won't alter the integrity of the players. We also run a swindle alongside club comps (£3 a head) and pay out top three and its the best three scores over all divisions. It means you could place well in your division but could be pipped by better scores in the others. In simple terms, no-one gives a monkey about the roll up and simply try and score the best they can in the comp. Money doesn't suddenly make them cheat

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Funny thread this.

It’s not hard to have an idea of how your 4 ball are all playing on each hole. Unless all your PP’s shoot 100+ on the reg - then it can be hard to keep up with the strokes on each hole.

Mark your own card, ask PP’s for their scores at the end of the hole and don’t tee off on the next until you’re convinced the scorecard is correct. Simple.

RichA

Visit site
We resolved a similar issue with a regular pp when I played years ago.
After a few questionable rounds, we took turns to discreetly count his shots. When we holed out and were writing the card, it went along the lines of, "6 for you, Chris?"
"No, 5."
"Are you sure? One off the tee, one out of the rough, one up the fairway, one chip and two putts."
"Oh yes. 6. My mistake."
It only took a couple of holes to cure his forgetfulness without confrontation.

Springveldt

Visit site
Unless he is some sort of mind control guru, that sounds like he has simply come up with some dodgy reason to excuse his cheating in advance. :) So that, in future, when he tries it on, he is either not caught and gets away with it, or if he is caught he can just say "ahh, sorry, innocent mistake, it is that mind thing I do and completely forget the bad shots". I don't think I could completely forget about hitting a ball out of bounds.
It can happen. On Saturday I birdied the last and said to my pp “level par for the back 9, I’ll take that” as I could only remember bogeying 1 hole and pars on all others. It was just a friendly knock with no cards.

When I got home I remembered I was 3 off the tee on 10 so I sent him a text saying “ forgot about 10, I was 3 off the tee so 2 over for the back 9. Don’t want you thinking I’m cheating.” He just sent back laughing emoji’s.

I’m the type of person that can remember every shot in great detail during a comp but I’m trying to have a more positive mind on the course as I can get down on myself. I had genuinely forgot about the tee shot on 10.

Springveldt

Visit site
Sorry but I strongly disagree. We have weekend roll ups and only £3 per head but we can get big fields (27 last week and 18 in the bad weather this Saturday and around the 20 mark yesterday) and so the pot (Saturday pays first and second and Sunday is winner takes all but they MUST buy a round with their winnings) and most have been playing together for years. Never any cheating or any sign of it and they would soon get pulled up if anyone had a suspicion. I think its a judgemental to suggest too much cash encourages cheating. There is a simple choice and if you don't want to play with so much cash in the pot then don't. It won't alter the integrity of the players. We also run a swindle alongside club comps (£3 a head) and pay out top three and its the best three scores over all divisions. It means you could place well in your division but could be pipped by better scores in the others. In simple terms, no-one gives a monkey about the roll up and simply try and score the best they can in the comp. Money doesn't suddenly make them cheat
If it’s only £3 a head, isn’t the round afterwards going to cost more than you win? I’d be shooting a 10 up the last to make sure I never win. ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One guy in our swindle cheated regularly and it got to the point where nobody would play with him. In the end one guy told him to join the foreign office.

We had another who never lost his ball. Even had one incident where I was in the group in front watched him tee off and the ball sail out of bounds about 30 yards away from me. I checked in the clubhouse afterwards and he reckoned he had found it in bounds. He did not play with us for much longer, everybody playing with kept and eager eye out and I think he got the message.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it’s only £3 a head, isn’t the round afterwards going to cost more than you win? I’d be shooting a 10 up the last to make sure I never win. ?

Part of the deal. I won £75 a few weeks back and still took home around £30 after buying the round. It's just a way of sharing some goodwill as its a winner take all so you can have a bad day and know at least you're getting a free drink. We also have a members discount on food and drink with our club card. As an example a San Miguel and a Carlsberg is £9.60 and with discount comes in at £8.16

The biggest battle is to avoid last and being the winners "bitch" and having to go and order all the drinks, serve them and clear the tables. That putt for one point and 26 points could be all the difference couldn't it. Please

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Part of the deal. I won £75 a few weeks back and still took home around £30 after buying the round. It's just a way of sharing some goodwill as its a winner take all so you can have a bad day and know at least you're getting a free drink. We also have a members discount on food and drink with our club card. As an example a San Miguel and a Carlsberg is £9.60 and with discount comes in at £8.16

The biggest battle is to avoid last and being the winners "bitch" and having to go and order all the drinks, serve them and clear the tables. That putt for one point and 26 points could be all the difference couldn't it. Please

Is that each or for the two?

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
I despise cheats. Golf has always been about honesty and integrity. Its not surprising really when we live in a world of selfishness. Too many people only care about what they can get out of it for themselves.

Prizes for Club/Open competitions should be a nice piece of glassware/crystal etc instead of cash. As soon as cash is up for grabs the green eyed monsters are out.

Anyone caught cheating in our swindle would be thrown out.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Funny thread this.

It’s not hard to have an idea of how your 4 ball are all playing on each hole. Unless all your PP’s shoot 100+ on the reg - then it can be hard to keep up with the strokes on each hole.

Mark your own card, ask PP’s for their scores at the end of the hole and don’t tee off on the next until you’re convinced the scorecard is correct. Simple.
If you are marking someone’s card you are supposed to know what they scored, not simply write down what they tell you.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Cheating is always despicable. I always confront the perpetrator whether it’s a friendly or comp and unfortunately I have had to do it many times over the years. This includes scratch team matches for club and county. In a county match I even had to rebuke my playing partner for preferring his ball in the rough. Our foursomes opponents were mystified when we conceded the hole without explanation. My partner never played for the team again.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are marking someone’s card you are supposed to know what they scored, not simply write down what they tell you.
Easier said than done if you are on different parts of the course, hacking in the rough/trees :) Although it should be obvious when they say "Put me down for 5" when they have been in the trees for 10 minutes, swinging away

Swango1980

Visit site
Very true, I know several people that will just write on the card whatever they are told. I played in a 3 ball in a competition once, and one guy said he had a 5 and the other guy (his marker) simply wrote it down. I had to intervene to say he actually got a 7. They then changed it, but how often would the 3rd person in the group have intervened. Over the years, I had to have a quiet word to a marker on the next tee when I overheard the wrong score being declared to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.