Changed order of our holes

Mandofred

Visit site
Message out today, since we had changed the order of some of our holes on the back 9 to accommodate virus rules...it's going to stay that way. Evidently about 70% of the membership liked it better this way.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are the same, standard layout sees crossovers at 3 to 4, 6 to 7 and 13 to 14. New layout addresses that by making 7 the 4th and playing round. 4th becomes 11th, 6th becomes 13th so it flows mich better.
Only issue that the seniors are complaining about (and it is only seniors who have registered the complaint before anyone starts) is that the 9th is now far away from the clubhouse and they can't just walk in. New 9th (old 12th) is about 1200 yards but you can cross over into the adjacent playing fields and walk right down to the car park.
I think the course is more balanced now too as the back nine was always the harder so we now have a mix of front nine holes in with the back and vice versa.

D

Deleted member 23344

I would imagine that most courses would struggle to change the order of holes, other than simply swapping each nine around, given that the next tee is ordinarily within close proximity to the previous green. Been thinking about my course and I don’t think we could do it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My old club used to have one competition a the year where the holes were messed about. It was one of the most popular comps of the year, lots of fun. Odd how something as straightforward as messing the numbers around can freshen a course up.

It's a bold move to do it permanently. @banjofred how many holes have been affected? How has it changed? I have a reasonable memory of playing Knaresborough and I am intrigued.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My first club had 4 par 5s in the first 6 holes.....not a clue why they thought it a good idea but there you go.?
Lots complained, especially about the 3 in a row from 4 to 6...not an issue for me but plenty found it a slog.
The 7th was a par 3 so they changed the order to 1,2,3,6,7,5,4,8,9 and it seemed to work. No big distances between greens and tees.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have opening holes of par 5, 3, 5, 3, 4 and 3 which I find a bit weird. It was ‘forced’ on the club about 4/5 years ago when they sold land to an old persons housing development and added some new holes at the back of the course

Mandofred

Visit site
My old club used to have one competition a the year where the holes were messed about. It was one of the most popular comps of the year, lots of fun. Odd how something as straightforward as messing the numbers around can freshen a course up.

It's a bold move to do it permanently. @banjofred how many holes have been affected? How has it changed? I have a reasonable memory of playing Knaresborough and I am intrigued.
Our half way house is after 11 (which has been seriously adjusted for the better this last year). We used to then go "left" on the footpath to 12....now we go "right" and head towards the 17th tee (back towards the clubhouse), but cut inbetween the 17th and 13th and our 14th will end up being our 12th. So with the old hole numbers we go from 11 to 14, 15, 16, 12, 13, 17, 18. I think I heard someone say it cuts about 170 yards off the total walking. It's not a radical change. Our hardest hole (12th) will now be our 15th.

They asked for input, I didn't really care either way.....just barely like the new way better. I didn't like going from the halfway house after 11 (sitting around picking my nose;)) and then going straight to the hardest hole. The 14th is still a hardish hole.....but a bit easier after sitting/standing around for 5 minutes. I don't like sitting around in-between holes.....if I'm playing badly I don't care, but if I'm playing well I do NOT want to break the roll I'm on. I don't get the attraction of stopping and eating during a round......but I'm in the minority.

The club now needs to quickly get some new walkways installed before where we are currently walking turns into a mud pit......especially after todays rain (and tomorrow). I believe the golf association is providing some money to clubs for these kinds of golf adjustments.....maybe up to £10K?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Message out today, since we had changed the order of some of our holes on the back 9 to accommodate virus rules...it's going to stay that way. Evidently about 70% of the membership liked it better this way.

Out of interest how does this impact WHS Course and Slope Rating for the course, as the front Nine and Back Nine have changed in difficulty and and distance

Mandofred

Visit site
Out of interest how does this impact WHS Course and Slope Rating for the course, as the front Nine and Back Nine have changed in difficulty and and distance
No clue what-so-ever. Notice was just sent out today. I am assuming the committee's have talked about this and have a plan. It only effects the back 9 (holes 12-18).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club was built for the 10th to be the first so it was easier for the pro shop/office to manage the first tee but the 9th is a fair way from the clubhouse and the powers that be wanted the 18th in front of the patio. There are often debates every few years about changing it again but I don't think it ever will. Seems a big change for the OP's club and it'll be interesting to see how that plays out especially in matches but also how the pace of play flows and whether it'll be any quicker

Mandofred

Visit site
We've been playing this order of holes since the re-start......about the same time for a round...nobody has mentioned anything. Technically a little less overall walking. Really hasn't changed much of anything. As I stated at the beginning....evidently 70% of people wanted this new order of holes over the old way. Fairly substantial vote for the change.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've been playing this order of holes since the re-start......about the same time for a round...nobody has mentioned anything. Technically a little less overall walking. Really hasn't changed much of anything. As I stated at the beginning....evidently 70% of people wanted this new order of holes over the old way. Fairly substantial vote for the change.

Pretty significant majority. If it isn't making any difference to playing time etc then why not embrace the change. It definitely seems here to stay

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bold move. Golfers don't like change and when you get used to an order it becomes hard to see it any other way. It's a bit like a house redesign when an architect moves the kitchen into the dining room and the living room goes where the main bedroom used to be. It can be genius but when you live in it you can't see it.

For the OP, it still ends at the same hole, a cracking last hole, so the rejig as an outsider keeps things right. You end where you should, how you get there sort of doesn't matter.

I'm looking forward to playing the new order.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would almost certainly make a difference to the ratings assigned to each 9 but not the 18.
However it is a relatively simple paper exercise for England Golf to recalculate and issue new 9 hole ratings.
But they are probably rather pushed at the moment and won't take too kindly to it. ;):eek:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We change our order every winter.
1st to 5th then 14th to 18th on to 10th to 13th then 6th to 9th.
It’s used for all winter comps.
Don’t know why but it’s a nice change.

Mandofred

Visit site
Pretty significant majority. If it isn't making any difference to playing time etc then why not embrace the change. It definitely seems here to stay
I'm fine with the change. I could take it either way and just slightly prefer it this new way.....if for no other reason than the hole after the half way house break is now still hard, but definitely easier than the old way. The resistance to the change was quite a bit less than I thought it would be. As stated, golfers (on the whole) don't like change.

I'm a born instigator. I LIKE change. I've driven people nuts with how many times I have changed my swing. Currently using mid-size grips with small hands.....likely give the jumbo grips a shot before too long. Why not?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
No clue what-so-ever. Notice was just sent out today. I am assuming the committee's have talked about this and have a plan. It only effects the back 9 (holes 12-18).

Ok I believe because it only affects to order of playing a set of holes the course will ne need to be be re-accessed for WHS Slope and Rating

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We play a differnt order for about 4 months of the winter to allow the morning sunlight to hit certain greens and thaw them out.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Our shorter course the Ashludie at Monifieth has had the order of holes changed this year - from the old order we've gone 1>8, 18 then 14>17 then 9>13. It works much better IMO. My wife was very much against it but has come round. The Links are currently surveying the members to see if we want to keep it this way and I hope they do.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was out helping change our course around for the winter competition today, 3 holes of women’s tees and 6 other tees shortened, changed one par 3 to a short par 4 and put a 112 par 3 in. Think course is around 300 yards shorter.

Makes a nice change for winter.