Challenging Dress Codes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What will be interesting is when he leaves school and gets a job where suit and tie or smart/casual but no shorts is the order of the day.....
Sometimes I just get the feeling some people are making a fuss for the sake of making a fuss...
Yes but he will be getting paid to do a job .
So your employer dictates your dress or not as the case may be.

D

Deleted member 1147

Let me know which club and I'll add it to my list.
Do you normally play in a vest, jeans and wellingtons?
Or are you willing to wear trousers, polo shirt and golf shoes, if that’s what’s required?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do you normally play in a vest, jeans and wellingtons?
Or are you willing to wear trousers, polo shirt and golf shoes, if that’s what’s required?
Sometimes I play in jeans, sometimes I play in chinos, I mostly wear shorts. I wear chinos more than jeans generally so that is not a problem.

I wear polos most of the time too, so have no problem wearing one to play golf. If its cold and I'll wear a hoodie and tend to wear a normal t-shirt or a base layer underneath as polos aren't comfortable.

I wear golf shoes because they are the most appropriate footwear. Although I do occasionally just wear my normal trainers.

Golf dress codes are made up nonsense from years ago that were used to keep the lower classes off the course.

D

Deleted member 15344

Let me know which club and I'll add it to my list.
Sometimes I play in jeans, sometimes I play in chinos, I mostly wear shorts. I wear chinos more than jeans generally so that is not a problem.

I wear polos most of the time too, so have no problem wearing one to play golf. If its cold and I'll wear a hoodie and tend to wear a normal t-shirt or a base layer underneath as polos aren't comfortable.

I wear golf shoes because they are the most appropriate footwear. Although I do occasionally just wear my normal trainers.

Golf dress codes are made up nonsense from years ago that were used to keep the lower classes off the course.

Just add every club in the top 200 in the UK

In fact add in all the members clubs as well , a lot of resort courses

Golf clubs want you to wear golf clothing when playing golf - it’s not a hardship

BiMGuy

Visit site
Just add every club in the top 200 in the UK

In fact add in all the members clubs as well , a lot of resort courses

Golf clubs want you to wear golf clothing when playing golf - it’s not a hardship

Its not a hardship. Just pointless nonsense that a lot of people who play golf seem to enjoy. There are a lot of people who seem to only play golf to give them something to be annoyed about.

I could wear jeans at Carnoustie just as long as they're not blue denim.

D

Deleted member 15344

Its not a hardship. Just pointless nonsense that a lot of people who play golf seem to enjoy. There are a lot of people who seem to only play golf to give them something to be annoyed about.

I could wear jeans at Carnoustie just as long as they're not blue denim.

People just enjoy wearing golf attire and like to see their fellow golfers in clean golf attire - all sports have some level of dress code for various reasons and golf clubs have a varying level of dress codes that they would expect visitors and members alike to respect

BiMGuy

Visit site
People just enjoy wearing golf attire and like to see their fellow golfers in clean golf attire - all sports have some level of dress code for various reasons and golf clubs have a varying level of dress codes that they would expect visitors and members alike to respect

I don't disagree with any of that. People are free to enjoy wearing golf attire. I too enjoy wearing to pretty loud golf shirts. Its a bit of fun.

I just don't understand the obsession some have with what other people wear. And wearing conforming attire is no guarantee that someone is clean or smart. The same goes for suits in the workplace.

I'd much rather prefer people were more concerned about how they treat each other and look after the course that whether someone has the correct colour socks on.

?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
A guy come over to my group last week. You could tell by his gate that he was not happy. As he got within 50 feet he stopped and said "oh never mind". I went after him and asked if there was a problem.
He asked me to look at my friend. It then became hilariously obvious what his problem was.
My friend was wearing a golf shift and a gray vest on top. Unfortunately for my friend his shirt was an identical match to his skin tone and from a distance it looked like he was just wearing a vest ?
He said he's going to burn his top

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm thinking about wearing a skirt and sleeveless top for my game tomorrow. I'll be playing with this year's captain. Just thinking about it, that's all.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe he will do the same there. I've worn shorts at work when the office was like an oven. Despite others asking and been told no. Two of us wore shorts one day to call the management's bluff.

Nothing was said. The next day, half the men in the office were wearing shorts and a new precedent was set.

Dress codes in the workplace and much like golf club dress codes. Old fashioned nonsense.

My daughter used to work as an accountant at PCW in London.
When she moved to Scotland she got a job at an old established Ayrshire accountancy firm.
She turned up first day in a trouser suit and the women told her it was skirts only.
She questioned this with her boss and wanted to know the reason why in the 21st century women wearing trousers to work was unacceptable.
He admitted he had no answer.
She became a hero to all the women who worked there.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe he will do the same there. I've worn shorts at work when the office was like an oven. Despite others asking and been told no. Two of us wore shorts one day to call the management's bluff.

Nothing was said. The next day, half the men in the office were wearing shorts and a new precedent was set.

Dress codes in the workplace and much like golf club dress codes. Old fashioned nonsense.

I take credit for ties disappearing from my old office. I just decided to stop and, within a couple of months, virtually everyone had stopped. It's the only trend I've ever set!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
My club has a fairly liberal take on dress codes. It is not that long since it was knee-length socks with shorts, and ties in the lounge after 6 o'clock.

These days it's trainer socks with shorts and smart trainers in the bar, but there are always people who will want to push the boundaries even further. I was told on Saturday that we now have 1100 members, that is going to be somewhere in the region of 425 new members many of whom must be social as the impact on tee times hasn't been an issue.

A couple of weeks ago I saw two lads heading towards the first tee dressed like Aussie Rules footballers, sports shorts and vest. I'd like to think they were stopped, I'd really like to think that they never had any intention of playing at all and were heading that way for some other reason.

Similarly, two weeks ago the club sent an email out about the number of divots that were not being replaced and the pitch marks that were not being repaired. The first time in 30 years I've seen such action, but what were they expecting 425 conformists completely aware of the clubs expectations?

The point is, there has to be standards, low or high is immaterial, but they are required in every aspect of life as without them, we are just on a race to the bottom.

BiMGuy

Visit site
What difference does it make to anyone if those two lad play golf dressed like they are going to an Aussie rules game?
As long as they behave in a respectful way and don't damage the course, why does what they wear matter?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What difference does it make to anyone if those two lad play golf dressed like they are going to an Aussie rules game?
As long as they behave in a respectful way and don't damage the course, why does what they wear matter?
I agree but the point hes making is maintaining high standards leaks over into other areas. Like replacing divots.