Celebs who’ve passed

Swango1980

Visit site
Just watched Parkinson At 50. I’d forgotten not only just how good Michael Parkinson was, but also some of the absolute legends he interviewed.
Indeed. In the days before social media and only 3-4 TV channels. The days Prime Time TV really meant something, and audiences would be glued at the rare chance to hear from these A list celebs.

Billy Connolly, Robin Williams, Muhammad Ali, the list goes on. I still watch some of these interviews over and over. One of my favourites was when he interviewed Billy Connolly and Tom Cruise, I recommend it. Billy Connolly was gold dust, and Cruise and Parkinson were in stitches

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly because she nailed it.
Possibly, possibly because it didn't sound the way he created the song to play. A cover is like a film or tv adaption of a book. The author has their own vision and when someone adapts it it is different to what they wrote and imagined.

Personally, I'd take the Prince version every day. Each to their own.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Parky…an enjoyable fairly regular on Pro-Celeb golf with PA in the 70s.

A really sad and ‘age-sobering‘ loss for so many of us of a certain vintage.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've gone from Parky interviewing Bette Davis and Muhammad Ali to Alan Carr and Graham Norton swapping euphemisms with some nobody off a reality show.

Progress eh?

The guy this morning (ex controller of the BBC whose name I forget) said it's all about soundbites and no-one has the attention span anymore. It's sad but true.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've gone from Parky interviewing Bette Davis and Muhammad Ali to Alan Carr and Graham Norton swapping euphemisms with some nobody off a reality show.

Progress eh?
Back then Parky was the only option if you wanted to promote something. They never came on for the fun of it, it was always to sell something. Now, there are so many other places they can do the same promotion so the quality of interview declines. Graham Norton shows are pretty good fun but they won't give you deep chats. Those days have largely gone. Any deep chats are pre-arranged, set up, stage managed. Different times......

Swango1980

Visit site

Progress eh?
To be fair, I enjoy the Graham Norton Show. He seems to develop a really good rapport with all his guests, is quick witted and does get very good guests. In all honesty, I can't remember him ever interviewing any nobody of reality TV. It is usually A List Hollywood movie stars, top British comedians and some pretty decent musicians.

I can't speak for Alan Carr. I watched a few episodes years ago. He wasn't too bad, but I obviously wasn't interested in tuning in every week. Nor was I for the Jonathan Ross show.

Swango1980

Visit site
Back then Parky was the only option if you wanted to promote something. They never came on for the fun of it, it was always to sell something. Now, there are so many other places they can do the same promotion so the quality of interview declines. Graham Norton shows are pretty good fun but they won't give you deep chats. Those days have largely gone. Any deep chats are pre-arranged, set up, stage managed. Different times......
I was going to add the very same thing.

For deep chats, you need to watch Piers Morgan Life Stories....... :eek:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tbf I thought he didn’t come out of that interview looking good,not her.
She didn't want to talk though, did she. Didn't he actually say at one point, 'you don't want to be here, do you?'

Now, the Helen Mirren interview is a different kettle of fish but to be fair, if you interview enough people over enough years, you are going to get some wrong 🤷‍♀️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit different, but wrestler Bray Wyatt passed today due to a COVID related heart condition.
Yeah, that was a shock. Same age as me. So many wrestlers seem to die young though. Often you look at steroids maybe being a factor, but Bray (or Windham to give his real name) was the most muscle-bound so not sure if that was the case here. As you say, they've linked it to Covid.