Celebs who’ve passed

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another one of my heros gone. :cry:

First saw him with The Yardbirds. Those were the days.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Jeff Beck is no more.
This is truly cataclysmic. He was the pinnacle of the holy trinity of 60's British guitarists. Clapton and Page may have had much greater commercial success, but Jeff Beck was THE MAN.
He always seemed so fit and healthy, to be suddenly snatched away by meningitis is just tragic.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One of the best, although never really appealed to me greatly,
There's things he could do with a 6 string that left you wondering if he had 10 fingers on that left hand...
Colossal loss to music..?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Over the years we've lost many legendary guitarists. Off the top of my head: Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Allan Holdsworth, Rory Gallagher. No doubt others that have slipped my mind.

But it just struck me that the last time news of this kind made a similar impact to me was over 50 years ago when as a teenager I was walking in the street and a guy who was only a vague acquaintance came up to me in a daze and said "Hendrix is dead".

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know it’s a long way from his guitar hero stuff (though it’s still got a great guitar riff), but I’m this morning reflecting on, and wondering how many of us fondly remember, the school disco and joyfully stamping our feet and punching the air in time to Hi Ho Silver Lining. Absolutely up there with my earliest remembered favourite pop songs.

I was never much engaged with his music, not that I didn’t enjoy what I heard whenever, but that song is right at the core of my cultural being.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty sure that Jeff Beck hated that song. Producer Mickie Most bullied him into it.
Wouldn‘t surprise me, but it’s lodged right there in centre of my cultural and emotional core - whether or not I like the song today is neither here nor there, as it’s there.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Over the years we've lost many legendary guitarists. Off the top of my head: Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Allan Holdsworth, Rory Gallagher. No doubt others that have slipped my mind.

But it just struck me that the last time news of this kind made a similar impact to me was over 50 years ago when as a teenager I was walking in the street and a guy who was only a vague acquaintance came up to me in a daze and said "Hendrix is dead".

Bit of difference. Hendrix was a massive star at the time. 95% of folk will only have the vaguest idea of who Jeff Beck is, and will be unfamiliar with anything he's done in the last 50 years.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit of difference. Hendrix was a massive star at the time. 95% of folk will only have the vaguest idea of who Jeff Beck is, and will be unfamiliar with anything he's done in the last 50 years.
Yes, agreed in respect of the general populace.
But TO ME, Jeff Beck dying is up there with Hendrix. I don't think the death of Clapton or Page would have the same impact for me.
The only other musician whose death would sadden me this much is probably Kate Bush.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, agreed in respect of the general populace.
But TO ME, Jeff Beck dying is up there with Hendrix. I don't think the death of Clapton or Page would have the same impact for me.
The only other musician whose death would sadden me this much is probably Kate Bush.

Fair point. I was devastated when Joe Strummer died. I'd been a massive fan since 1977, loved everything he did right up to his death, saw him live loads and met him a few times. But to the overwhelming majority, it was just another news story.

I understand how you feel, and apologise if my earlier post came over as being a bit crass.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I grew up listening to my brothers Truth album still an all time favorite of mine.

Fortunate to see him in Glasgow a few years ago.

Sad loss.