Catching someone ‘cheating’ during a round

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Which rule was he breaking ? Do you have preferred lies off the fairway or just the use of mats ?

Both, but to get his ball 6 inches clear of the tree, he would have had to move it the best part of a couple of feet - it was snuggled right up against the middle of a pretty substantial tree with big surface roots.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Both, but to get his ball 6 inches clear of the tree, he would have had to move it the best part of a couple of feet - it was snuggled right up against the middle of a pretty substantial tree with big surface roots.
if you condone it you are complicit. I know it’s only a social game but next time it might not be .

sunshine

Visit site
It can happen. On Saturday I birdied the last and said to my pp “level par for the back 9, I’ll take that” as I could only remember bogeying 1 hole and pars on all others. It was just a friendly knock with no cards.

When I got home I remembered I was 3 off the tee on 10 so I sent him a text saying “ forgot about 10, I was 3 off the tee so 2 over for the back 9. Don’t want you thinking I’m cheating.” He just sent back laughing emoji’s.

I’m the type of person that can remember every shot in great detail during a comp but I’m trying to have a more positive mind on the course as I can get down on myself. I had genuinely forgot about the tee shot on 10.

And your playing partner genuinely couldn't care less :ROFLMAO:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a new member join a couple of years ago did three cards and got a mid twenty’s handicap, joined with two mates who always played together.
Well it wasn’t long before he started winning comps and mayors in particular, so people started to take notice.
One of them was the comps and handicap sec who I believe felt some what guilty because he had given him his handicap.
So he was asked to attend a meeting with two of the directors and apparently fell apart turns out he had played off six in his twenty’s (he was early 40s) but not only did he not declare this there was evidence he was claiming better scores than he had done on many occasions.
He was asked to leave.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Ok, please go easy on me. I’m fresh off my first comp and I have to ask the question.

I played today with by far the best player I’ve ever played with. He plays off 4 and was 1 under after the front 9.

Leading up to hole 17 he was level par.

Now after going 16 holes with him I know what this guy is capable of. Hole 17 he scores a 6 and it’s one of the easiest par 4’s to me.

The next hole he explains he was angry and his tee shot goes OOB. It didn’t make sense to me because its pretty hard for someone to do that as such a wide fairway? Another ‘easy’ par 4 in my opinion. He scored a 6 on the final hole…

Now go easy on me because I’m not familiar with this all but could he of made a slight error on purpose to keep his handicap down?

Hands down it just didn’t add up. I know everyone is human but from what I saw during the 16 holes was unbelievable. Something just didn’t add up.

Is this very unlikely?

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok, please go easy on me. I’m fresh off my first comp and I have to ask the question.

I played today with by far the best player I’ve ever played with. He plays off 4 and was 1 under after the front 9.

Now after going 16 holes with him I know what this guy is capable of. Hole 17 he scores a 6 and it’s one of the easiest par 4’s to me.

The next hole he explains he was angry and his tee shot goes OOB. It didn’t make sense to me because its pretty hard for someone to do that as such a wide fairway? Another ‘easy’ par 4 in my opinion. He scored a 6 on the final hole…

Now go easy on me because I’m not familiar with this all but could he of made a slight error on purpose to keep his handicap down?

Hands down it just didn’t add up. I know everyone is human but from what I saw during the 16 holes was unbelievable. Something just didn’t add up.

Is this very unlikely?
Bit harsh to start implying things are dodgy on the first time you play with him. If you play with the guy regularly and he seems to throw in dodgy scores on the final holes all the time then, yes, he is manipulating his handicap. You have only one example so may be he just had a bit of a mare, possibly trying too hard to get the winning score. Also be wary of listening to gossip in the clubhouse, you can hear all sorts of conspiracy theories there

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Is this very unlikely?

No its not likely, sure its possible but no it's not likely
18 holes of great Golf is bloody hard to be able to go error free and no more so than when you start to think you've got a PB or cracking score on the line. The last few holes are then the toughest

Bamberdele21

Visit site
sorry lads I didn’t mean it to come across as it did but I just couldn’t believe how bad he played the last two holes. Almost as if he played them badly on purpose. I hope that makes sense

Bamberdele21

Visit site
would there have been a slight chance I was in his head for the last 2 holes as I teed off before him on both and melted them, one of them atleast 310. Could he have wanted to put a bit more effort in to get further?

Just trying to work out how he bottled his card.

This guy was hitting greens from 250 btw.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
would there have been a slight chance I was in his head for the last 2 holes as I teed off before him on both and melted them, one of them atleast 310. Could he have wanted to put a bit more effort in to get further?

No, unless it was matchplay he really doesn't much care how you played. Sorry

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
sorry lads I didn’t mean it to come across as it did but I just couldn’t believe how bad he played the last two holes. Almost as if he played them badly on purpose. I hope that makes sense

That's golf... guy I played with this morning had 22 points stood on the 10th tee.

He signed for 33 after 18. :confused:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Sorry but your first comp and you hit it 310 . Is that yards or feet!! What handicap have you been given and what score did you have please?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Your first comp and you are already an expert at detecting handicap manipulation?

Into what other areas of golf comps does your expertise extend?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
At Our place it is pick and place everywhere inc the rough. I had a shot from The rough the other day and it was sat down terrible. I got a good connection on it and it went 100 yardish. I said to PP “I was gonna sit it up on a tuft of grass and leather it with the driver”. He replied “ I did ask myself why you didn’t”. it didn’t sit Right with me, but Ave seen players do it since so if it occurs again the drivers out am am going to proceed and slice it ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Sorry but your first comp and you hit it 310 . Is that yards or feet!! What handicap have you been given and what score did you have please?

16.8 index played off 19 course handicap.

Netted 91 overall (blobbed 1 hole with penalty on another)and scored 37 points. Won £7

Your first comp and you are already an expert at detecting handicap manipulation?

Into what other areas of golf comps does your expertise extend?

If a guy tells you he’s played twice since the summer and rocks up level par after 16 then it starts to run through my head he might actually be a tiny bit better than 4 handicap.

D

Deleted member 31467

Fair play hitting it 310 in winter, you have a big future in this game

Status
Not open for further replies.