Carry only

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The other issue is that roping off areas around the green also channels golfers into often narrow paths that get rapidly destroyed. Unless replaced these are often then poor for the majority of the season.

Therefore essential for GKs to be vigilant and change the roping-off around!

Roping off really only works effectively where either an area is to be completely avoided or where traffic is relatively light - so on the 'more exclusive' courses. Otherwise, the effect is to concentrate the damage to just beside the roping! This happens even under 'carry only' conditions!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a electric trolley ban and ride-on buggy ban in place, push or pull trolleys are fine as they seem to course little damage. We have never had a complet trolley ban in place for the last twenty years that I know of.

QuietPro

Visit site
Thanks for commenting Jim, I'm just interested in ground frost,wet or muddy ground is another thing and our feelings are that using trollies when it's frosty does no harm whatsoever to the ground or grass. We are trying to convince our greenkeeper that trolley bans are unnecessary but some form of research will help give weight to argument.
TBH if you can’t carry for just a few days of the year it’s pretty narrow minded. Cut the GK some slack and support him rather than try and gang up for just individual wants.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
No idea whether any research has been published. I haven't gone looking as I'm happy to accept that the greenkeepers know more about it than I do.

When I joined my current club, the idea of occasionally carrying my bag filled me with horror but it's been no problem at all.

Swango1980

Visit site
No idea whether any research has been published. I haven't gone looking as I'm happy to accept that the greenkeepers know more about it than I do.

When I joined my current club, the idea of occasionally carrying my bag filled me with horror but it's been no problem at all.
Is that because they allow buggies and trollies regardless of the conditions? :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve heard of two near me allowing buggies while alot of surrounding courses are closed. They are staying on buggy paths only although I’m not sure how many stick to this.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We are pretty much borderline for trolleys/carrying....a couple of weeks ago the club introduced carry only for a week....we had some really good weather and the course dried out so trolleys were reintroduced, but a days rain on Saturday has seen the carry only rule reintroduced until further notice.

Saw some poor buggers out yesterday struggling to tote a tour/cart bag round over their shoulders!!!

Its very soft underfoot and to be honest its getting to the stage where its bordering on unplayable in some places....pretty much impossible to get any sort of decent strike on the ball...whilst we love the game, sometimes folks do have a responsibility to think "just because the course is open...is it really in a fit state to play?"....unfortunately clubs are under pressure to stay open to get revenue through the door so often courses are open when perhaps they shouldn't be.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wish we went to carry only more often - at least on the holes where it’s clay and needs the drainage sorting out
I'd imagine you'd have to have a Carry Only policy on the entire course? I'm not sure you could designate a selection of holes as Carry Only. What would players who DID have a trolley do on the Carry Only holes?

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd imagine you'd have to have a Carry Only policy on the entire course? I'm not sure you could designate a selection of holes as Carry Only. What would players who DID have a trolley do on the Carry Only holes?

It’s something we have designated before so why couldnt we do it again ?‍♂️

Trolleys until hole 11 then carry only from 12-16 and then trolley ok from 17

And just like we all did last time have a carry bag on the trolley , park the trolley in a designated and then pick it back up after finishing 16 - easily done

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We need to implement more carry only but I can see how that could potentially impact some parts of the membership, especially the seniors but surely the course has to come first. If we are going to allow trolleys then I would prefer if the green keepers could rope off significant areas and force everyone down the side of the fairways. Stop level with your ball, hop over the rope, play and then proceed back down the side of the hole. At the green complex make sure the ropes take golfers wide of the tee boxes and force them to leave their trolley in rough or on a path adjacent to the tee. If the fairways and green approaches were given time to recover from the traffic then it would pay dividends come Spring.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s something we have designated before so why couldnt we do it again ?‍♂️

Trolleys until hole 11 then carry only from 12-16 and then trolley ok from 17

And just like we all did last time have a carry bag on the trolley , park the trolley in a designated and then pick it back up after finishing 16 - easily done

Obviously your course layout allows that to happen....would be nigh on impossible at most courses and even if there are suitable "drop off" and "pick up" points, thy are not likely to coincide with wet and dry areas of the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Obviously your course layout allows that to happen....would be nigh on impossible at most courses and even if there are suitable "drop off" and "pick up" points, thy are not likely to coincide with wet and dry areas of the course.
Not sure how this would work at our place unless we switched after nine when we return through the car park to the 10th by the pro shop. Either way it seems a faff and while the older golfers may be content to do nine it begs the question if there are some holes too wet for a trolley should the course really be open. Also how many of us really want to stop and swap clubs, balls drinks, clothing part way through the round and take two bags with them. Also I'd be a little concerned about the safety of the trolley.

D

Deleted member 15344

It does and it’s why we did it before when we wanted to protect work being done etc hence why I’m not sure why someone could post it’s not something we could do.

In fairness most greenkeepers only really close courses to trolleys and buggies for Health and Safety reasons - most are confident in their believe that they can recover the course by the time playing season arrives