Caroline Flack

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Caroline Flack was very much an established television and radio personality before social media exploded - the success of her career was not based around social media
Her career was in the doldrums until Strictly, it's why people do Strictly. She had her time then flatlined whilst new presenters came on the scene. Strictly put her back on the scene. She then got the Love Island gig. Love Island, contestants, host, everything is geared around social media, targetting a particular age group. The success of the show and everyone in it would not be there without it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Dreadful how stuff like this can happen.

Service Providers seem to be able to block stuff they want to block, but ignore the rest. Bit like footballers getting (racially) abused online, seemingly without any comeback. Often wonder if Rashford and co all said, blow this, we're deleting our accounts from your platform, it wouldn't take long for this to be sorted.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem comes when the media go after their families who just happened to be related, phone hacking etc.

I take your point over these “celebrities” but I do think these days the media prefers the dirt to the good, which in turn reflects on us in society as scandals tend to sell more news than good news does.

That is true, but also a predictable event. In Flack's case, I am not sure they went after anybody else, though, did they?

D

Deleted member 16999

That is true, but also a predictable event. In Flack's case, I am not sure they went after anybody else, though, did they?
I can only go on what they claimed in the media and at the time friends and family stated they’d been harrassed by the media, whether it was true, I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I buy into the "they sought fame/media attention so need to suck it up when they turn on them" attitude. There's no excuse or reason for the hounding she was subject to. She had a private fight with her boyfriend and the result was he had a small cut to his head - much of the blood later shown in newspaper images (how the hell did they get them?!) was her own (she self-harmed). Fact is that is a very private episode that seemed to get blown out of all proportion in my mind - not even sure why the CPS were so keen to send it to trial.

Anyway - for me there is not even the tiniest excuse for the hatred that came her way.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issue is though that the bullies win then if people are forced to leave social media

Social media need to do more to stop the bullying and abuse that people get

Right now it’s footballers being racially abused

I agree with you wholeheartedly, as someone who was bullied going through school i abhorr any type of bullying, but sadly these faceless gutless trolls exist, and until the social media companies get their fingers out and do something abiut it the simple answer is to get away from it before it does any real harm

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Walking away from social media is no easier for some people than an alcoholic not picking up that bottle or a gambler not filling in that betting slip. It’s easy to say “Just don’t read it” or “Log out” if you’re not addicted and obsessed with it.

We’re in unprecedented times with the amount of access we have to celebrities and while of course this brings them fame and fortune it also sadly brings them personal insults that very few people could withstand.

Mental illness is a terrible thing and we must learn to fight against attitudes like “just ignore it” and the infamous “man up”.

100%. One of her friends even admitted that at times she thought "come on, it's not that bad" but has come to realise that to Caroline it was - we don't all feel things the same way.

D

Deleted member 15344

Her career was in the doldrums until Strictly, it's why people do Strictly. She had her time then flatlined whilst new presenters came on the scene. Strictly put her back on the scene. She then got the Love Island gig. Love Island, contestants, host, everything is geared around social media, targetting a particular age group. The success of the show and everyone in it would not be there without it.

She was presenting on X Factor amongst others and put it on hold for a year whilst she did the Strictly series - certainly not a career in the doldrums nor someone who needed social media to boost her career.

It was the same in the last thread with people pointing fingers at her relying on social media for her successful career - it then allows them to put the issues back to her

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I buy into the "they sought fame/media attention so need to suck it up when they turn on them" attitude. There's no excuse or reason for the hounding she was subject to. She had a private fight with her boyfriend and the result was he had a small cut to his head - much of the blood later shown in newspaper images (how the hell did they get them?!) was her own (she self-harmed). Fact is that is a very private episode that seemed to get blown out of all proportion in my mind - not even sure why the CPS were so keen to send it to trial.

Anyway - for me there is not even the tiniest excuse for the hatred that came her way.
Domestic abuse is and certainly was at the time a very hot topic. The police and cps can not be seen to turn a blind eye to it, that happened for decades and countless people have suffered. I think they had little option but to proceed.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with Amanda 100%. There are famous people I don't 'like' but I think I am normal, I don't go and tweet them or @ them abusing them, I ignore and move on to follow someone or something I do like!

A few have put it very eloquently in this post, but are spot on. The mind is a very delicate thing, and with most people, there is a heck of a lot more going on 'behind the scenes' than you know. We all have our problems, issues, feelings etc. I expect most of us were told if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything, and while this may be a little outdated, there are ways to be constructive, polite helpful without being unkind.

Anyway, #BeKind if only one positive can come from this, I hope more people consider others and are kind. Kindness is not a weakness!! I believe it shows great strength of character!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know much about Caroline but a really tragic case - and i would not want to compare to Megan and Harry!

The one key thing that i have said before is that Social Media companies need to be forced to vet who uses them. Every poster needs to be known as a genuine person or organisation. That involves ID checks on all accounts. Then those people and companies should be held to account for what they post and the law can be used. This woould likely stop 99% of the vicious hateful trolling and abuse that goes on. This needs to be implemented now and i am not sure why governments have not done this already. You cannot open a bank account etc without a valid ID check. Same should apply here

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I think the police and CPS came in for an awful lot of unwarranted criticism over this.

It has been traditionally extremely difficult to prosecute in cases of domestic violence, primarily because victims so often refuse to make a complaint or, worse still, withdraw the complaint once it has been made because “he/she has promised it won’t happen again.” I have seen it dozens of times.

Worst example I can recall is a lady who had been assaulted for the umpteenth time by her partner, on this occasion sustaining horrendous facial injuries - two fractured eye sockets, broken jaw - her face was like a football. She said this was the final straw, never again etc and put pen to paper and made a complaint. Three months later, complaint having been withdrawn after the promise that the offender would change, the pair were married. A month after that he put her in hospital.

That was nearly thirty years ago, when the police and CPS were victim led in domestic cases, often to the long term detriment of the victim. The tendency now is to pursue victimless prosecutions, and deal with the offender where there are other sources of evidence, if it is felt that the long term safeguarding of the victim must take priority over everything else. This is particularly true if there is a history of domestic violence between a couple.

What people seem to disregard is that, if there had been no prosecution in this case, and Flack had subsequently gone on to do kill or seriously injure her partner, the fallout would have been absolutely huge. Charging decisions like this are a real balancing act, never easy to make, and those making them are damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

I for one will never criticise in cases such as this one, where it is quite clear there is much we don’t know.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't know much about Caroline but a really tragic case - and i would not want to compare to Megan and Harry!

The one key thing that i have said before is that Social Media companies need to be forced to vet who uses them. Every poster needs to be known as a genuine person or organisation. That involves ID checks on all accounts. Then those people and companies should be held to account for what they post and the law can be used. This woould likely stop 99% of the vicious hateful trolling and abuse that goes on. This needs to be implemented now and i am not sure why governments have not done this already. You cannot open a bank account etc without a valid ID check. Same should apply here
Totally agree, it’ll be a thousand times worse for them.(y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If it were only those in the pubic eye or who seek fame and fortune through celebrity who suffer, then that could be explainable and manageable...but of course it isn't. The issue is much more widespread and more common than one that a narrow section of us have to put up with. It's a societal issue not a celebrity issue.

As I think is noted in the programme about Caroline Flack - it's not necessarily the volume of nasty stuff coming from many people that can be the trigger - in the end it might only take a single abusive tweet, text or post from one individual that tips a victim over the edge. And that can apply to every single one of us - especially when a sender does not know the mental health or fragility of the recipient.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Right now it’s far worse for those two than anything Caroline Flack had to put up - she didn’t have very prominent media and social media figures calling her a liar for saying she has suffered mental health issues and suicidal thoughts. Surely the current issue should highlight to abyone the dangers of the media and social media and how is can harm people.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right now it’s far worse for those two than anything Caroline Flack had to put up - she didn’t have very prominent media and social media figures calling her a liar for saying she has suffered mental health issues and suicidal thoughts. Surely the current issue should highlight to abyone the dangers of the media and social media and how is can harm people.

not condemming any trolling of Megan and Harry. But when they do a staged Oprah interview and say that is the end of it while dropping the bomb and knowing their family cannot respond in the same fashion i have little sympathy. And now they leak the negative view of a meeting with his dad and brother to Oprah's friend Gayle King, who talked about it on CBS!! No sympathy - but that is off topic so end of

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the police and CPS came in for an awful lot of unwarranted criticism over this.

It has been traditionally extremely difficult to prosecute in cases of domestic violence, primarily because victims so often refuse to make a complaint or, worse still, withdraw the complaint once it has been made because “he/she has promised it won’t happen again.” I have seen it dozens of times.

Worst example I can recall is a lady who had been assaulted for the umpteenth time by her partner, on this occasion sustaining horrendous facial injuries - two fractured eye sockets, broken jaw - her face was like a football. She said this was the final straw, never again etc and put pen to paper and made a complaint. Three months later, complaint having been withdrawn after the promise that the offender would change, the pair were married. A month after that he put her in hospital.

That was nearly thirty years ago, when the police and CPS were victim led in domestic cases, often to the long term detriment of the victim. The tendency now is to pursue victimless prosecutions, and deal with the offender where there are other sources of evidence, if it is felt that the long term safeguarding of the victim must take priority over everything else. This is particularly true if there is a history of domestic violence between a couple.

What people seem to disregard is that, if there had been no prosecution in this case, and Flack had subsequently gone on to do kill or seriously injure her partner, the fallout would have been absolutely huge. Charging decisions like this are a real balancing act, never easy to make, and those making them are damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

I for one will never criticise in cases such as this one, where it is quite clear there is much we don’t know.

Fair comment. I based my opinion on the snippets around at the time suggesting they had prosecuted her because she was famous and the implication if the same had happened to an unknown the case would not have gone to court.