Car parks

D

Deleted member 21258

I've never heard of that before, I went and googled it to double check. What an awful concept ?.

IIRc If you are playing Gullane no 1, you can use the members clubhouse, certainly that is what we were told when there last year.

TBH other than having a look at the members clubhouse, we actually sat and ate in the visitors clubhouse(bit café style). Wasn't anything wrong with it and unless you knew, you wouldn't think anything of it. Plenty of clubhouses have members only areas, so kind of it on par with that.

Car parks and different changing rooms/areas are still pretty common.:(

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
IIRc If you are playing Gullane no 1, you can use the members clubhouse, certainly that is what we were told when there last year.

TBH other than having a look at the members clubhouse, we actually sat and ate in the visitors clubhouse(bit café style). Wasn't anything wrong with it and unless you knew, you wouldn't think anything of it. Plenty of clubhouses have members only areas, so kind of it on par with that.

Car parks and different changing rooms/areas are still pretty common.:(
I wouldn't like that either :(.

The fact that the visitors clubhouse is very nice doesn't make up for the fact that members and visitors are housed separately. I find that genuinely sad. Perhaps we are lucky in the NE. I do see separate car parks occasionally, but that tends to be the end of it and even they are rare. To have separate changing areas, members bars or clubhouses (extreme) does not encourage me to go a club or return if I go and discover this separation when I am there.

I have found quite often that when playing at an away course members will come up to me and ask if I have enjoyed myself, had a good day. They want you to like their club. I always try to make a visitor welcome at my place as well. How can you do that if you are separating members and visitors in key areas?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think this is one of those kind of pointless rules that is just about 'proper' conduct. i.e. you are supposed to change your shoes in the changing rooms (which is for getting changed) as opposed to in the car park (which is for parking your car).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't like that either :(.

The fact that the visitors clubhouse is very nice doesn't make up for the fact that members and visitors are housed separately. I find that genuinely sad. Perhaps we are lucky in the NE. I do see separate car parks occasionally, but that tends to be the end of it and even they are rare. To have separate changing areas, members bars or clubhouses (extreme) does not encourage me to go a club or return if I go and discover this separation when I am there.

I have found quite often that when playing at an away course members will come up to me and ask if I have enjoyed myself, had a good day. They want you to like their club. I always try to make a visitor welcome at my place as well. How can you do that if you are separating members and visitors in key areas?

A lot of the clubs that do this are still quite antiquated. I know Sunningdale as an example have members only areas and I am sure there are more that do. Fortunately most these days treat visitors as members for the day. I get where you're coming from regarding not encouraging you to play but sometimes for an experience like Sunningdale it is the price you have to pay and in my opinion, to get to play courses like that as a one-off it's a small price to pay

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So, would you use the member's clubhouse or visitor's clubhouse if playing the likes of Gullane?

Gullane is the classic us and them mentality and is the epitome of everything that is/was wrong in golf. The visitors are quite clearly second class citizens when at Gullane. The visitors car park is mud and uneven and the clubhouse facilities are like a cheap cafe. The members clubhouse is beautiful and the car park is better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you cheat at golf if you feel a rule is irrelevant?
Do you ever do 33mph in a 30 zone.?
Imagine if it was Male / Female car parks.
In this day and age it’s just a Car Park where people park their cars.
As with other stupid rules nothing will change if people don’t challenge it.
“Power to the visitors” or something like that.
What could the club do ,as a punishment for this heinous crime?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Do you ever do 33mph in a 30 zone.?
Imagine if it was Male / Female car parks.
In this day and age it’s just a Car Park where people park their cars.
Would you drive to Anfield and expect to park in the Club car park?

I totally disagree with separate Car Parks, but if a Golf Club has them, then it’s their rules and if visiting there then their rules should be respected.

Just like doing 33mph in a 30mph if caught you’d be punished, so if as a visitor you park in the members car park, don’t moan if you’re asked to move.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would you drive to Anfield and expect to park in the Club car park?

I totally disagree with separate Car Parks, but if a Golf Club has them, then it’s their rules and if visiting there then their rules should be respected.

Just like doing 33mph in a 30mph if caught you’d be punished, so if as a visitor you park in the members car park, don’t moan if you’re asked to move.
If I thought I could get in yes.
But stupid rules should be challenged imo.
Yes I totally agree with you.

D

Deleted member 16999

If I thought I could get in yes.
But stupid rules should be challenged imo.
Yes I totally agree with you.
If a Club wants separate car parks then that’s their choice and should be respected.
It’s not for visitors to decide how they run their club, your choice should only be whether you decide to play there or not.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Car parks blah blah blah.

People can park where they like, if they choose to ignore club rules then why get upset? It's not going to kill anyone nor does it effect you.

Wolf

Visit site
Only in a sport like golf can people be so offended by someone having the audacity to park their car in a members car park, change there shoes in a car park or make the leap that anyone who has the audacity to do any of these things then be the type that would break the rules of the game. Before someone moans its the Principal of it and means everything they do is questionable that's twaddle. End of the day its a car park thats it, someone parking in a concrete area so they can come and spend their hard earned cash in your club in greenfees, in shop sales and in the bar that's far more important to the clubs revenue and standing, alos helping keep subs down, than in what car park they leave their car or where they change their shoes. It also doesn't mean they're going to cheat the entire field or playing partners. Attitudes like that are a symbol of everything that to some outsiders thst show golf in some cases still has its head up its own arse

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only in a sport like golf can people be so offended by someone having the audacity to park their car in a members car park, change there shoes in a car park or make the leap that anyone who has the audacity to do any of these things then be the type that would break the rules of the game. Before someone moans its the Principal of it and means everything they do is questionable that's twaddle. End of the day its a car park thats it, someone parking in a concrete area so they can come and spend their hard earned cash in your club in greenfees, in shop sales and in the bar that's far more important to the clubs revenue and standing, alos helping keep subs down, than in what car park they leave their car or where they change their shoes. It also doesn't mean they're going to cheat the entire field or playing partners. Attitudes like that are a symbol of everything that to some outsiders thst show golf in some cases still has its head up its own arse
Like a lot of things in golf, it has it's roots in class segregation from decades in the past and it needs to go.