Car parks

Wolf

Visit site
And I respect that but I think you ask the large numbers on here that played both times, they'd say it probably didn't make a single jot of difference to their experience. I simply don't have the same view as you and sometimes in my opinion, you can choose to ignore these antiquated rules and still enjoy playing the course. It is the clubs that are at fault maintaining these restrictions
But im not them Homer and not interested in if affects their enjoyment, i have my own views and principles one if which is not believe people should be segregated by class in the case of golf Member/visitors or men/women. All should be treated equally as all are contributing their hard earned cash.

The enjoyment of visiting a different course doesn't begin or end on the course but includes the experience of being at the club so segregation to me does indeed take away from the full enjoyment

sunshine

Visit site
Do you cheat at golf if you feel a rule is irrelevant?

Seems a bit of an irrelevant question... cheating is always going to be relevant.

If you were using the visitors car park and saw another visitor arrive and park in the members car park, would you accuse them of cheating at parking? Would you run off to the club office to lodge a complaint? Maybe brandish an imaginary yellow card?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A visitor might pay £50 to use the car park whereas a member might pay £1500 so I don't have any issues parking a bit further away if I have to when playing somewhere else.
£1500 - 365= £4.10 per day.
£50 - 1 =£50. Per day
And they want you to park in a field????

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go play somewhere else.
If you drive any length of time you are not going to go elsewhere.
Maybe the club should advertise they segregate car parks prominently on the website so you can make an informed judgement before you book.
“don’t park in members ( better people than you) car park or we will refuse to take your money! ;)

D

Deleted member 23270

If you drive any length of time you are not going to go elsewhere.
Maybe the club should advertise they segregate car parks prominently on the website so you can make an informed judgement before you book.
“don’t park in members ( better people than you) car park or we will refuse to take your money! ;)
Who said anything about members being better people? They have simply invested more time and money into the club than a visitor rocking up for a single round.

D

Deleted member 21258

See the finishing trip has work.

Sometimes there is a feeling of great power, walking away from the thread and do not provide any more food for the fuel.:)

Wolf

Visit site
Your ex-military, hopefully your Mrs is about embark on a very successful career, you know full well the Military is full of antiquated rules and segregation, I’d suggest there’ll be times you may have to accept some of it or miss out on some great experiences.
Terrible example comparing the military to a golf club. Especially as in the last 20 years military life segregation has been being shattered. LGBT people are now full-fledged members of the forces where once it was banned, the RAF, Amy and Navy have all taken part in Pride marches for years to shatter the old school pathetic values of no gays allowed. Women are now allowed to be in front line combat roles including The Marines, SFSG squadrons, SAS, SBS and SRR regiments. The RAF are moving phase 2 training for all to one centred location at Cranwell as of next year to improve and bridge gaps and messes all around the country are now being opened to all ranks..

Whilst their is still a chain of command, the military are beginning to not only bridge those gaps but remove them completely. So whilst I get your point the changes that have already been made are far ahead of what some golf clubs are doing so it's not a workable comparison.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Doesn't it simply boil down to showing respect for the Club..?
The Club has its rules, be they dress, parking, changing, mobile use etc etc.
As has been plainly stated in dress code threads - if you dont like it, dont play there.
And if anyone feels strongly enough about it to not want to play then that decision should be respected
But, in the same breath, if you decide to play at a Club surely you have to respect all the club rules otherwise you're, effectively, sticking two fingers up to the Club and its members.
By deciding to ignore the requests for parking in a certain area or changing shoes in a certain area but complying with a request to wear clothing outlined in the dress code shows disrespect and simple poor manners.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Doesn't it simply boil down to showing respect for the Club..?
The Club has its rules, be they dress, parking, changing, mobile use etc etc.
As has been plainly stated in dress code threads - if you dont like it, dont play there.
And if anyone feels strongly enough about it to not want to play then that decision should be respected
But, in the same breath, if you decide to play at a Club surely you have to respect all the club rules otherwise you're, effectively, sticking two fingers up to the Club and its members.
By deciding to ignore the requests for parking in a certain area or changing shoes in a certain area but complying with a request to wear clothing outlined in the dress code shows disrespect and simple poor manners.
Yes Yes, we all know we should abide by the rule. The question asked was Why is it a rule.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes Yes, we all know we should abide by the rule. The question asked was Why is it a rule.
I've been asking that for years on dress code threads and the only answer that comes back is that it's what the members want....
I agree, they're all stupid rules but if the members want it, even if they dont know why they want it, they get it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It just shows the difference in views on here.
Nobody is saying they will flout every rule.
But if I have to change into a suit and tie I don’t want to be walking across a muddy field to get it.
I firmly belive most golf club members couldn’t give a fig to most rules in a club because it dosnt affect them.
It’s only when they fall foul of one they know it exists.
We go to play golf with our peers not to be segregated.
I’m off now .

D

Deleted member 16999

Terrible example comparing the military to a golf club. Especially as in the last 20 years military life segregation has been being shattered. LGBT people are now full-fledged members of the forces where once it was banned, the RAF, Amy and Navy have all taken part in Pride marches for years to shatter the old school pathetic values of no gays allowed. Women are now allowed to be in front line combat roles including The Marines, SFSG squadrons, SAS, SBS and SRR regiments. The RAF are moving phase 2 training for all to one centred location at Cranwell as of next year to improve and bridge gaps and messes all around the country are now being opened to all ranks..

Whilst their is still a chain of command, the military are beginning to not only bridge those gaps but remove them completely. So whilst I get your point the changes that have already been made are far ahead of what some golf clubs are doing so it's not a workable comparison.
Who’s talking about LGBT! Slight overreaction there.o_O

What if as a Junior Officer she wants you to attend a Cocktail Party in the Mess with her and she is spammed to host a local dignitary/politician etc and you are against everything that guest stands for? Swallow your pride and support your missus or...........

Wolf

Visit site
Who’s talking about LGBT! Slight overreaction there.o_O

What if as a Junior Officer she wants you to attend a Cocktail Party in the Mess with her and she is spammed to host a local dignitary/politician etc and you are against everything that guest stands for? Swallow your pride and support your missus or...........
Not an overreaction at all simple examples of militarily removing segregation of people based on gender or differences. You brought up the military as an example of having to accept segregation and i reply with exact examples of where they've overcome and I'm overreacting... Err Nope?

If she is to host someone that represents being pro segregation in communities I wouldn't attend. I won't compromise on my values or beliefs that society needs to remove this in order to keep up appearances just as my wife wouldn't ask me to if she knew that was likely to happen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not an overreaction at all simple examples of militarily removing segregation of people based on gender or differences. You brought up the military as an example of having to accept segregation and i reply with exact examples of where they've overcome and I'm overreacting... Err Nope?

If she is to host someone that represents being pro segregation in communities I wouldn't attend. I won't compromise on my values or beliefs that society needs to remove this in order to keep up appearances just as my wife wouldn't ask me to if she knew that was likely to happen.
Good luck.(y)
As for the Military lecture, only been out just over 2 years after 36 years in Uniform, last 10 were double hatted as Welfare Officer and E&D Advisor, I’m well aware of the situation in the Military and in no way was I comparing Car parks to that element of the Forces, you were way off the mark.