Car insurance?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hypothetical question, if my grandson bought a small van ( me paying )but he didn't insure or drive it,
Could I drive it under my own fully comp insurance and be covered third party.
My policy says I can drive a car belonging to someone else but not hired. ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Hypothetical question, if my grandson bought a small van ( me paying )but he didn't insure or drive it,

It would appear so, but it depends on the precise wording of your policy. Best bet is to phone your insurance company - you’ll get an answer in seconds.

RichA

Visit site
Yep. Pretty sure the other persons car has to be covered by its own policy even if you have TP for any car on your policy.

Billysboots

Visit site
There is no reference in my policy wording to a third party vehicle requiring its own insurance policy.

That clearly doesn’t get around the excise licence requirement, but there seems to be a wide belief here that the other vehicle requires its own insurance. I’ve just looked at the wording of my policy and there is no such requirement.

Best advice is the OP speaks with his insurance company.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no reference in my policy wording to a third party vehicle requiring its own insurance policy.

That clearly doesn’t get around the excise licence requirement, but there seems to be a wide belief here that the other vehicle requires its own insurance. I’ve just looked at the wording of my policy and there is no such requirement.

It is not so much about insurance company requirements but what the law requires.

Billysboots

Visit site
It is not so much about insurance company requirements but what the law requires.

I’m aware of that, and the requirements around vehicle excise licences. But in a wider context there seems to be a belief that all car insurance policies include the same provisions - they don’t, and that is really my point.

Although I perhaps chose the wrong thread to express it!

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m aware of that, and the requirements around vehicle excise licences. But in a wider context there seems to be a belief that all car insurance policies include the same provisions - they don’t, and that is really my point.

I have yet to come across a car policy that will let some one drive a car that is not already insured even if not by them and I work in that industry and actually offer polices with the widest and least restrictive cover going at high cost for those with lots of money and lots of cars.

I would really be taking a good look at your own policy wording and speaking to your insurers before I fully trust your policy especially when things go wrong. It does not take much for insurers to decide you are in the wrong and not pay out.

Billysboots

Visit site
I have yet to come across a car policy that will let some one drive a car that is not already insured even if not by them and I work in that industry and actually offer polices with the widest and least restrictive cover going at high cost for those with lots of money and lots of cars.

I would really be taking a good look at your own policy wording and speaking to your insurers before I fully trust your policy especially when things go wrong. It does not take much for insurers to decide you are in the wrong and not pay out.

Section 12 of my policy covers my use of third party vehicles and it makes no reference at all to a requirement for that vehicle to already be insured, and there are no exceptions to that section. I can only tell you what my own policy states.

I would absolutely check first, because I rarely drive third party vehicles, if ever. But none of the provisions of Section 12 state that the third party vehicle requires cover.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One of the big difference these days is that it rare to get drive another car as standard and often not available until the person is aged 25 or over.

Most polices will have something in them to the effect that the car must be legal to drive.

Part of my job when I worked in the industry was to compare other companies cover to our own.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

So you could own multiple vechiles & only insure 1?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
If the UK is like the US on this issue, cars, not drivers, are insured.
There is a premium added if a car is regularly driven by somebody under twenty-five years of age.

This doesn't pertain to any law.
It's simply insurance company practice in our admittedly underregulated private sector.
Law simply requires insurance for any aggrieved party, of course, and optionally for your own person and property.

My cars and house are insured in tandem by the same company for a decent discount.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Section 12 of my policy covers my use of third party vehicles and it makes no reference at all to a requirement for that vehicle to already be insured, and there are no exceptions to that section. I can only tell you what my own policy states.

I would absolutely check first, because I rarely drive third party vehicles, if ever. But none of the provisions of Section 12 state that the third party vehicle requires cover.
Have a look at your motor certificate not the policy wording, see if the small print states the vehicle you are driving must be insured, normally the motor cert states it. It will say what you are insured to drive and what is required to drive it, for example it will state if you can drive a hire car on it and so on.

In the UK all vehicles that are being driven need to be insured, you are not insuring that vehicle you are driving it covered on your insurance however for any vehicle to be driven on uk roads it also needs to have it's own insurance. it is an offense not to. Now if you own a vehicle and you are not going to drive it and you do not want to insure it you can have it SORN but that means no one can drive it.

This week a client of my work colleague called up (He is on annual leave so I took the call) and said he had received a letter from the MiB (Motor Insurance Database) (https://www.mib.org.uk/) informing him one of his vehicles was not insured and when he went to check his documentation and certificate he had the number plate wrong and he did not have any insurance, I amended his policy. If you own a vehicle and it is not sorn and you don't insure it, you will get reminders.