Car damage in golf club car park

Ewor31

Visit site
Just driving home from golf club, and spotted a golf ball sized impact on the outer edge of windscreen and a very large crack that is growing. Do I just accept this as bad luck from an errant ball or is the club liable for the damage to my car??

Severof

Visit site
If the club wanted play it to the letter of the law, its probably difficult to prove if you have already left before reporting.

Without anyone going into the club to confess, you've probably not got a leg to stand on , especially if the Club have signs stating 'parking at your own risk' too.
Hopefully someone owned up, but then again, if I hit a wayward shot into the car park, I'd prob play a provisional and not worry about searching for my OOB car park ball and any damage it may have caused.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
At Leighton Buzzard, as long as the perpetrator has informed the pro shop, the club's insurance will cover the repair, if not, there's nothing that they can do.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I hit a ball between two parked cars once. It went in-between them and I had a picture in my mind of the 1970s Atari computor game "Pong" with the ball bouncing back and forth of the sides of the two cars.

There were a couple of people stood next to one of the cars and as I was walking up all I could think about was my insurance policy, praying that it covered such eventualities.

When I got there, there was my ball, at rest, between the two cars, neither of which had a scratch on them. A 3 wood on the fly! It was a miracle I tell ya.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was playing with my brother in-law and nephew once, nephew hooks one off the tee into the car park and there's a breaking sound.

We gingerly walked through a gap in the hedge to investigate and there was the ball on the back shelf of a car with a golf ball sized hole in the rear window, it was my car!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your club should have notices published stating what their liability is.

Worth checking if (if you are in England) if their blanket cover for EG affiliated clubs will take a claim. Not sure if it is just for personal injury.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless it's a pay and play🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes, fair point

Typical :rolleyes:(n)

All the Municipal courses I have been involved with had far better insurance cover than the private clubs I worked for.
I could write a great comical act on my experiences.

eg Me, on the phone...... How do you know the damage was definitely caused by a golf ball?
Resident.....Because the Calloway ball is lodged between the panes of double glazing.
Me.......... OK, no problems we will sort it.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Many years ago we were playing in Wales and one of my mates carved one onto the car park. The Pro happened to be getting into his car and the ball finished on his passenger seat. Evidently he was very good about it, asked my mate if he was going to play it.

sunshine

Visit site
My mate sliced his tee shot on the 18th at North Berwick, bounced OOB then rebounded off a car and rolled up to the green. Must be very common occurrence, similar to 18th on the old course. Surely most car parks have a sign saying park here at your own risk.