Can you profit from cheating?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I played in a work golf day which was for fun.
We all paid money for our green fee + food.
in order to help raise money for a bar tab the organiser included the option to buy mulligans. They were £2.50 per mulligan and you could buy up to 4.
A vast majority of people bought mulligans. Not everyone used theirs though and there was a very healthy bar tab at the end of the day.
I didn't buy any mulligans, not because I am tight but because I don't agree with it as part of my stableford score. I scored 33 points, which was good enough for 4th behind 37 points (5 handicap with 1 mulligan) and two 34-point talleys.

I would way that you need to keep it simple as you don't want people constantly having to rack up how much they owe at the end.
Collect the money at the beginning as well.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I may need to organise a Charity event at my club next year and have considered doing a 'Beat the Cheat' event

The idea is that we have a small entry fee (£5) which will cover the prize fund and play a conventional medal round except that you can buy yourself a bit of an advantage e.g.

Obviously a cheat doesn't have a normal handicap. £1 per stroke increase (maximum 5 shots) should correct this.

Mulligan's are the future - £1 per mulligan.

The Hamlet manouevre - Why play a sand iron when you can throw it out (50p)

Tree in the way? - a good leather wedge should fix that (50p again)

Gimme's - anything within a flag length is clearly not going to miss (50p)

Barnes Wallace - of course the ball bounced across the pond and landed nicely on the other side (£1)

The Goldfinger drop - no need to lose a ball when you know where it is in the rough and have a suitable hole in your trouser pocket- £1

Also considered having a yellow 'team' ball played alternately by each member - same rules apply but the cost of any infraction is doubled

Anyone ever tried / played in something like this - all comments and suggestions welcome.

I know players who do this and don't pay the levy. Of course I can't mention their names.:whistle:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a fun way to raise money for charity around your own course it sounds like a great idea. I can see if raising far more than a normal comp would.

You could even add the reverse mulligan. If someone in your group hits a cracking shot to a couple of inches of the pin you can pay a pound to make him take the shot again.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think some people are missing the point....its not a bloooming pga tour event fgs!

Its a charity event and i think it sounds fantastic

I bet it generates more people in the bar afterwards than a normal comp as the stories people will be trelling will be worth the pint alone!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
buy your partners ball? your mate hits a cracking drive, you duff one into the clag. £2 allows you swap balls! why not say £5 before the round buys you 2 swaps?!

D

Deleted member 17920

You could even add the reverse mulligan. If someone in your group hits a cracking shot to a couple of inches of the pin you can pay a pound to make him take the shot again.
That's a great idea or this You pay £2 and you can have his shot. The more the charity benefits the better.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a fun way to raise money for charity around your own course it sounds like a great idea. I can see if raising far more than a normal comp would.

You have a warped mind! ;)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another slightly evil idea, £5 or something allows you to play your opponents next shot for them. Nowhere out of bounds or unplayable, just somewhere a bit more 'challenging';)

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm beginning to see that there is a dark side to a lot of people on here ......

I guess this is the one time you want to be out out with that guy you never like playing with?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you profit from cheating? - no - never - you will be held to account when it REALLY matters. An unconscionable proposition as far as any true golfer is concerned.

However what you are suggesting sounds like fun and not in fact cheating - you have invented a new variant. The Cheats Charter Championship. However there should be a limit on the budget any player can spend through the round - and each player decides how they spend their budget.

Last edited:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However what you are suggesting sounds like fun and not in fact cheating - you have invented a new variant. The Cheats Charter Championship. However there should be a limit on the budget any player can spend through the round - and each player decides how they spend their budget.

I would disagree about the budget! It really doesn't matter who wins from teh sounds of it, and the more people spend, themore the charity gets! If someone wants to spend £5.00 per hole, that's £90 for charity!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would disagree about the budget! It really doesn't matter who wins from teh sounds of it, and the more people spend, themore the charity gets! If someone wants to spend £5.00 per hole, that's £90 for charity!

Yeh - but unfortunately some folks get big kick out of spending and donating big money and bigging up things when the win - I can't be bothered with any of that sort of stuff. Keep it egalitarian. If someone at the end wants to donate an addition lump of dosh to the charity they can do it - behind the scenes and not seeking 'publicity' for their generosity.

I'm just not into the idea of someone being able to 'buy' a win - and that is what could easily happen.

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a fair point BUT you would have to be a pretty poor golfer to 'buy' your way out of 10 bunkers, 8 ponds and 12 out of bounds! (and even if you take every gimme going you will still only have spent £48)

It will be interesting to monitor but I wouldn't expect a reasonable club golfer to need 'assistance' more than 10 times in a round

mefromhere

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it would be a good idea to allow people to take others good shots away from them as some group might be more willing to pay to the charity than others which could massively skew the numbers.

I think being able to buy somebody's drive and play from there as well as them would be a better option (Texas Scramble style)

Nobody is going to be bothered buying their way out of a bunker when their last 5 perfect drives have been taken off them

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seen and heard of various variants of this 'Fuind Raising for Charity' fun day.

I'd suggest you consider all the suggestions that allow a player to improve his/her score and probably up the price a bit - £2 for Mulligans etc. A couple of dummy rounds will allow you to figure out how much you'd expect players to buy.

Don't make prizes very valuable either - Pro Shop vouchers work well - as it's meant to be fun and fund-raising"

I'm sure it'll be successful if everybody enters the spirit of the style.

D

Deleted member 15344

Totally understand the concept and its for charity but to me this ain't golf and I'd rather play in the conventional manner and make donations, maybe a charity auction or via raffle tickets.

You still hit a ball with golf clubs into a hole = golf.

People get a bit sick of charity auctions or raffles because they have to find prizes etc.

This is a fun idea with a bit of fun format yet some act like the Grinch "because it's not golf"

I'm guessing yellowsomes will be outlawed next.