Callway Epic Irons

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably nearer a grand on release.

Not a chance Callaway put a RRP of 1799 on something and let AG sell it under 1500, probably even tighter than that. For that money I'd expect them to double as a magical flying broomstick I could ride around the place, surely this is where consumers draw the line.

A set of irons or 2 years subs in any parts of the country

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They will charge what the market will withstand. It's exactly the same as somebody paying British Gas to install their boiler in half the time at twice the price - i.e. It's a rubbish rushed job. All the time people part with their cash they'll keep whacking the prices up. On the flip side there's so much nearly new on the market silly cheap that I'm happy for idiots to keep paying over inflated shop prices. If you're buying pro v1s and you're not an amazing ball striker ..... more fool you. Most of our greens are too firm to see the benefit of a premium ball unless you generate LOTS of spin. The assistant pro round our track plays AD333 tour as he said anything better is pointless - they're £20 a dozen on clubhouse golf.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a case of faux outrage for me.

None of my kit is going to NEED replacing in the foreseeable. If I feel like a change, there's​ a ton of super cheap stuff on the bay.

I would estimate that equipment is the least important​ facet of golf as a passtime, well behind the company, the course and the general state of my game. Despite what the adverts tell us, I suspect that's the same for most of us.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just think, 6 months on you'll get them for around 850 ish.

As the saying goes " a fool and his money are easily parted ". Anyone who feels they have to have new equipment the months it's released ... IMHO is crazy!

Example: I purchased the XR15 driver hardly used off eBay for £85.00 with an upgrade speeder just after the XR16 had been released. I managed to sell the shaft for £70, got another standard shaft for £25 so the club owed me £40. I used it a season and sold it for £90. That was a one model old club!

In 2013 I purchased a set of hardly used TM CB irons 2012 model. I paid £270 for the irons that had done four rounds and come with a receipt of sale just one month prior which was confirmed by the shop they come from. I played them until roundly the start of 2015 and the sold them £200.

I could reel of loads of examples but my point is New golf stuff only costs as much as you allow it too, if you're patient enough to wait it can be very cheap to obtain great quality high end gear for 25-50% of the original costs just because it's one model out

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely spot on fantastic advice mon ami

Just think, 6 months on you'll get them for around 850 ish.

As the saying goes " a fool and his money are easily parted ". Anyone who feels they have to have new equipment the months it's released ... IMHO is crazy!

Example: I purchased the XR15 driver hardly used off eBay for £85.00 with an upgrade speeder just after the XR16 had been released. I managed to sell the shaft for £70, got another standard shaft for £25 so the club owed me £40. I used it a season and sold it for £90. That was a one model old club!

In 2013 I purchased a set of hardly used TM CB irons 2012 model. I paid £270 for the irons that had done four rounds and come with a receipt of sale just one month prior which was confirmed by the shop they come from. I played them until roundly the start of 2015 and the sold them £200.

I could reel of loads of examples but my point is New golf stuff only costs as much as you allow it too, if you're patient enough to wait it can be very cheap to obtain great quality high end gear for 25-50% of the original costs just because it's one model out

D

Deleted member 1740

I've only just seen the price of the epic irons on clubhousegolf and I couldn't believe my eyes. £1600 4-PW are they having a laugh??

There can't be much more technology in these epics compared to say the Apex's?

I did a search on here and it came up with this thread.

I am lost for words.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Everything has gone up a fair notch in golf, wedges not long back were £70 'ish but now £125, I'm going to wait till golf stuff is reduced in sales before i spend !

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything has gone up a fair notch in golf, wedges not long back were £70 'ish but now £125, I'm going to wait till golf stuff is reduced in sales before i spend !

I dread to think what vokeys will be next time round because they were £110-120 a wedge before

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Callaway XR driver and 3 wood which I swapped for my X2hot driver/3 wood which I originally bought for 80 notes the pair (rite place, rite time)
King Cobra 3100i/h irons, real tidy and only 35 quid from a local selling site...
Ping C67 putter (swapped for a 60° wedge that I paid 25 quid for)
Plus odds and sods in the way of wedges, driving irons, 3 woods, drivers, putters etc, all picked up for a few quid here and there...

Half decent golf equipment doesn't have to be expensive, eBay is your friend... :thup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

i agree, but has the technology improved enough to warrant an almost 100% price hike on some gear?

I understand raw material prices increase but surely not at the rate the RRP's are flying up.

Or is it a case of these manufacturers thinking "PXG have introduced themselves at the top of the market and we want a piece of cake regardless of how many customers we lose"?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
i agree, but has the technology improved enough to warrant an almost 100% price hike on some gear?

I understand raw material prices increase but surely not at the rate the RRP's are flying up.

Or is it a case of these manufacturers thinking "PXG have introduced themselves at the top of the market and we want a piece of cake regardless of how many customers we lose"?

There is a bit of that Stu, but the Epic is the only model at that price point. All the other Cally irons come in at the usual numbers
And they're not the only manufacturer to list a set of irons costing over a grand....

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I tend to think it's a bit of the latter

But in my opinion, anybody spending £1100-1300-1600, on mass produced clubs, Taylormade new foam injected BS, callaway epic, TITLEIST t-mb set, they must be well and truly off their rocker.....!!!

I've seen people on here criticise or scorn in the past at people paying £1000-1100 for the likes of Vega and Miura......looking now, they are positively bargains compared to what's being churned out now in masses.
Even the prices of AP1 (£805 for 4-PW at AG). and AP2 (£1050 same set up) are now at a ridiculous level.
The last set of ap2 used to sell for around £649-699
So....what's causing the huge hike (circa 30%) :confused:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tend to think it's a bit of the latter

But in my opinion, anybody spending £1100-1300-1600, on mass produced clubs, Taylormade new foam injected BS, callaway epic, TITLEIST t-mb set, they must be well and truly off their rocker.....!!!

I've seen people on here criticise or scorn in the past at people paying £1000-1100 for the likes of Vega and Miura......looking now, they are positively bargains compared to what's being churned out now in masses.
Even the prices of AP1 (£805 for 4-PW at AG). and AP2 (£1050 same set up) are now at a ridiculous level.
The last set of ap2 used to sell for around £649-699
So....what's causing the huge hike (circa 30%) :confused:

Brexit :smirk:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got my AP2 716 for £650 so the 50% price rise for the next release batch is crazy.

I have spent a fortune in the last year on clubs and the epic really was an extravagant purchase but at todays prices I can't ever see me buying new release clubs... will still buy from new I reckon but maybe get previous year models when I upgrade

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brexit :smirk:

Not sure if that's done in jest, but I presume it's had a reasonable impact given the pound:dollar exchange rate after the announcement and to now. Most suppliers are US based aren't they, so just like Iphones there is now a bigger disparity between dollar price and sterling price in terms of the actual number (not the converted amount)

Disconnect probably does mean things like £1k ceiling are broken so they can charge a bit more etc. too