First round of golf with Ping i25's after being fitted courtesy of GM & Ping...

S

Snelly

First round of golf with Ping i25's after being fitted courtesy of GM & Ping...

I played golf yesterday for the first time with the new clubs that I was very kindly given by Ping after the fitting session at Centurion Club earlier this month and I thought I would let you know how things went.

I was the co-organiser of an event at Knole Park GC and we had a great day in fantastic weather on what is a superb golf course and an excellent test of golf. That aside, my (un-hit) new clubs were in my bag and didn't have a single mark on them - absolutely pristine. :)

Knole starts with a long par 3 of 193 yards and based on the fact gleaned in the Trackman session that the i25's were 12 yards longer than my Callaway X-16 Pros, I decided on a 4 iron. Unfortunately for me, I middled it and it rocketed away, clearing the green and leaving me with a difficult chip back resulting in a double bogey which wasn't ideal but the club ball contact on the tee shot was great and I was pleased rather than despondent.

This proved to be a good marker for what followed during the first few holes. I was past the pin or through the green on every occasion, basically because I could not quite believe that I needed one less all the time after over a decade with the old irons. By the time I got to the 5th hole, I had got a decent grasp of this though and with about 185 yards to an elevated green, I decided on a 6 iron whereas previously, I may have even gone with a 4 but certainly a 5. 6 proved correct and a well struck shot finished close to the flag, resulting in a birdie.

In summary then, the i25's are a bit more than a club longer than my old irons but have the same lofts. They feel absolutely great to play with and have a lovely trajectory that is noticeably and pleasingly lower than the Callaways. They also make a fantastic crunching sound at impact with the ball racing away off the face every time.

Without question, they are the nicest irons that I have ever played with and a significant improvement in every sense over my old irons. Longer for sure and very satisfying to hit good shots with. Excellent feedback on the shot and additionally, the one really poor contact I made yesterday ended up with a reasonable result despite being fat, and it put me on the front edge so you can certainly say that they are forgiving.

Ping i25 irons - highly recommended. Really superb clubs with the right shafts in them.

Moving on, Ping also gave me an i25 19 degree hybrid. This is also a fantastic club. I used it off the tee several times and I played with two guys off 9 and 10, one of whom is a reasonably powerful hitter and the hybrid was longer than their drives (240 yards ish) and dead straight. I didn't have the chance to try it off the deck though. It is a good looking club too that isn't too chunky. Another club to unreservedly recommend and I liked it so much, I am thinking of buying a 21 degree version to replace the 3 iron. More testing required first though.

Wedges. Also excellent. I played with 54 degree and 60 degree Ping Gorge wedges yesterday and they were faultless. The latter being a delight to chip with and easy to hit low with check or lift the ball high for a soft landing. This was a surprise to me as I expected them to be different to this. I was anticipating them being tricky to judge at shorter than full distances and that they might ping the ball off too rapidly. This wasn't the case and they are excellent from a variety of distances with the chipping ability being especially good. Best thing about the wedges is the feel off the face and the balance. You can really get a good feel for clubhead speed and this is great for controlling distance on pitches and definitely chips.

In conclusion, despite it being very early days, I do think that these are going to affect my scores in a positive way. I had two double bogeys and three bogeys yesterday. Three of these lost shots were caused by stupid course management decisions and the other 4 were direct results of going through the greens during the early part of the round. I also had 4 birdies though so would've had a good round if I had trusted the clubs to go further at an earlier point than I did!

I did not expect to think that these clubs could or would meaningfully affect my scores but now I do and this is surprising and to some extent, at odds with my normal view.

I am looking forward to my next game on the 5th May for further experimentation.

Final point, if you are looking for new clubs then I recommend the above. All are absolutely great and because of the fitting process, fit my swing.

I am a convert. Custom fitting works. Now where is that humble pie?

Last edited:

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Re: First round of golf with Ping i25's after being fitted courtesy of GM & Ping

Hi Snelly,

Very envious of your new toys - from other thread, you'll see I'm on my way to PING HQ (but will need my wallet as part of process!).

One question on your fitting experience, how quickly did the fitter zero in on the correct shaft for you and how widely did they try shafts for you? The Pro at our course has the ping fitting cart which has the standard Reg/ Stiff / XS ping shafts but no other shafts. Now I'm still to be convinced (but have an open mind on the level of difference other than the above coarse differences) on the benefit of after-market shafts to mid hcp players like myself but would be interested in your experience with Ping.

Still envious but please you have a great set of bats that will serve you well!

Simon.

PS - I note you have not official hcp but what do you play off generally?

S

Snelly

Re: First round of golf with Ping i25's after being fitted courtesy of GM & Ping

Hi Snelly,

Very envious of your new toys - from other thread, you'll see I'm on my way to PING HQ (but will need my wallet as part of process!).

One question on your fitting experience, how quickly did the fitter zero in on the correct shaft for you and how widely did they try shafts for you? The Pro at our course has the ping fitting cart which has the standard Reg/ Stiff / XS ping shafts but no other shafts. Now I'm still to be convinced (but have an open mind on the level of difference other than the above coarse differences) on the benefit of after-market shafts to mid hcp players like myself but would be interested in your experience with Ping.

Still envious but please you have a great set of bats that will serve you well!

Simon.

PS - I note you have not official hcp but what do you play off generally?

Hi,

I think it took about 10 minutes for the fitter and I to agree on shaft choice. I think we tried the standard Ping S and XS ones first and they weren't great. We then swapped to a KBS C-Taper which I didn't like at all. There was then a Project X one we tried that I didn't like either and then the fitter gave me a True Temper S300. This was perfect. It felt the best, went the furthest and had the tightest dispersion. We then tried this shaft on two iron heads, the i25 and the S55. Both excellent but the S55's flew noticeably higher and for that reason primarily, I preferred the i25. Additionally, the i25's were more like my previous irons so felt more comfortable at address. Again, this took about ten minutes.

Secondly, I went to the driving range the night before the fitting with Ping and tried the i25 and S55 with stock stiff shafts. I didn't hit a single good shot with them. For this reason, I believe you should try a few and go with what suits. The difference between shafts was very clear when I went through this process.

As for my handicap, difficult to say. I have had a pretty crap 9 months with not much good golf but more recently have played better. I have two society handicaps which are 2 and 4. Came second yesterday off 4 having shot 3 over gross so something around this mark would be my club handicap I think. Tricky to be precise as I play so infrequently. I will join a club soon I hope....

Last edited:

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Cracking update and sounds like the I25 is spot on for you. It is also good to read that even low handicappers like yourself get a massive benefit over the clubs they use. I really believed (even wrongly) that only 10+ handicappers get the biggest change in what they hit and players like yourself just mainly improve their control of the clubs and skills around the green.

In short you are a very, very lucky boy to get fitted for free with these ;)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

I very much like this post Snelly. I hope to be seeing a lower handicap sooner rather than later.

FYI for people, ping prefer to fit their own shafts into clubs. They have designed the CFS shafts to work best in there heads. I tried KBS, Dynamic Gold and Project X in my S55's. The CFS gave the best numbers for the same SS.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I hope that you'll be more help to me next time out now Snelly !!!:whistle:

Great story and glad its worked out the way it has

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

I really enjoyed reading this and while reading I was back and forth to the Callaway and Ping sites to check on lofts. They are pretty much the same, I then looked at club shaft length and again... Very similar. Your yardage gains are very impressive.

Glad you like them, enjoy!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Great write up Snelly.

Now was that humble pie savoury or sweet?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

What can I say? Been very happy with my I25's. Won the KoK, played well at the Grove and starting to get to or close to the buffer at my own course all of which indicates a level of consistency. Those that played with me at KoK and the Grove will also have noticed a positive air with the short irons and the merest hit of a decent short game. I am still not as long as the OP but I agree that they make a lovely sound when you hit it well and that bad ones aren't too penalised

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Good write up,glad you're enjoying the new clubs.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site

Great news Dave.......really pleased for you and very impressive results I might add..........looking forward to our next round sometime soon I hope. :whoo:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Very good write up Snelly, made for interesting reading.

It's also good to see that you had a mind open to change regarding custom fitting, although having a good fitter and knowing what you like and dislike certainly appear to remove the need for a 2 hour session.

I look forward to seeing how good you can be with these.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Nice to hear Dave. Look forward to hearing about the progress and hope to catch up for a game in the summer, if we have one!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Nice to hear Dave. Look forward to hearing about the progress and hope to catch up for a game in the summer, if we have one!
Summer starts Monday, and should last until Wednesday.:thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Had a Ping Demo Day today so booked in for a 40 min session to try the S55's and I25's with various shafts etc to see if i would get much more from the clubs compared to my current ones

First tried the S55's in carious shafts - first a regular CFS - it felt very light ( which im not a fan off ) , lots of balls leaking right but the fitter was expecting that , the ball felt different coming of the face , a bit hard. So went onto the KBS Tour and S300 - The KBS tour gave better results than the S300 which i was surprised at. Nice ball flight - nice tight dispersion and distance i would expect with a 7 Iron - again the ball felt a bit hard coming of the face but i really liked the look of them at address.

Then onto the I25s - straight onto the KBS Tour shaft and the results was good again - a bit further in distance but dispersion not as tight ( but nothing to worry about ) and the ball felt a lot softer of the face , felt sweeter when hitting the ball , a little higher ball flight and a bit more spin. The S300 shaft wasnt much difference - just dispersion wasnt as good. The clubs felt nice - nice weight but im not a big fan of them at address - they just dont look as crisp and thin.

The fitter then showed me the difference between my clubs and both the I25's and S55's - the numbers suggested that the S55's were the club for me with a KBS tour shaft with blue dot - my clubs went 2 yards on average further and near enough the same dispersion , ball flight and spin. The I25's went a bit further but he was expecting that.

So overall the Ping fitter was quite honest and said that there is no performance related reason for me to change - only reason would be just to have new shineys - impressed with the fitter , very open and certainly not pushy.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

So overall the Ping fitter was quite honest and said that there is no performance related reason for me to change - only reason would be just to have new shineys - impressed with the fitter , very open and certainly not pushy.
So when do you get the new Pings then Phil ?:)

D

Deleted member 15344

So when do you get the new Pings then Phil ?:)

The temptation has been quelled Rich - no new irons for me :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I've found that most fitters from all the big names on these demo days won't push you too hard into anything of your own gear isn't out performing what they can offer. I like that honesty from them