Custom fit thoughts from Today

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this isn't in the right section as its part review and part brain dump from today.

I ventured up to a cold, breezy Kings Links in Aberdeen today for a custom fit session. I'd booked it after my Direct Golf MOT but wanted to try a few different clubs as I'm still a bit confused what to look at. It felt colder than the temperature shown in the car of 3 degrees but I think that was the wind chill as Met Office showed wind speeds around 12mph with 30mph gusts.

To warm up I hit a basket of balls before the session to loosen off. I'm still getting over a chest infection and cyst in my upper eye lid so wasn't 100%.

I hit my own 7 iron and the Launch Monitor showed me what I had been told already (and thought to myself) although the dispersion was good the average distance was a mere 138yds :(. I'm still obviously getting back into things but I prefer midsize/smaller head in my irons so the Pro selected four to look at.

First off I hit the Taylormade RSI2. That was a suggested but I just didn't like the look, the feel of it either. Unsurprisingly the results weren't great. Dispersion wasn't as tight as my old (Cleveland TA3's) irons. My swing speed was a consitant 86mph so the RSI's had the KBS 105 Stiff shaft fitted. I don't rememeber many more numbers other than average carry was 148yds with a smash factor of 1.27. I didn't want to try much more as I didn't like the iron much.

Next was the Callaway Apex. First few hits were definitely feeling better and had my fade as the natural shape back. Again I only got one shaft to try in stiff which I think was the KBS tour shaft. Average carry was up again on the 7 iron to 155yds, swing speed around 87 this time, smash factor of 1.33. Dispersion was tighter than the RSI's but still a little larger than my old irons. Happy enough with it.

Tried the Titleist AP2's next and to my eye they are the nicest looking irons. I can't remember the shaft type this time but was a stiff flex. Although they seemed harder to hit the dispersion was almost identical to the Callaways with distance a little shorter at 152yd carry average. Smash factor was a little down at 1.31. Similar flight to the Apex so at least some consistency to how it looked. the only issue was the grips was knackered, had a large 1/2 inch section which seemed ribbed in comparsion to the rest. Enough to be slightly uncomfortable. More psychological but I do wonder how it'd have hit if I had a decent gripped demo club.

Last irons was the Mizuno JPX850 Pro Forged. They looked as good as the Titleists albeit a little larger in my eyes. Had a really nice sound and feel on most connections. Dispersion was virtually identical to the Apex irons, maybe slightly tighter. average carry was 157yds, smash of 1.32. It had XP105 Stiff shaft fitted. Can't remember the swing speed average though.. Ball flight seemed a little more zippy from the face with a good flight pattern, all playing my natural fade.

The pro said he thought the figures and look of the ball flight was best/most consistent with the JPX850's. So I plumped on them as I don't think there was much between them and the other clubs. Maybe the feel was a little better on the well stuck shots.

The woods turned into a bit of a nightmare. I like the Titleist so had the 915 3 wood to try. Tried a couple of Diamana shafts settling on the S+ Blue 70. Avg Carry was 225 with roll to 250-255. I think by this point I was feeling the cold and slightly brain faded. I couldn't get the 915 driver to work at all for me even with the same shaft as the 3 wood. I got to try the Ping G30 but to me it was ugly and I just didn't hit it well once.

The Pro was keen to say come back at the end of the month as they will have the new Taylormade Woods/Driver (Aero) and new Callaway alphas in stock to demo. So I may come back to them to seejust means another £30 spent for a second custom fit session!. Not sure though if I would or maybe try Kingsacre which is the Titleist authorised centre and see how it goes there, maybe get to try some more combinations of shaft in iron, wood and driver. Will need to have a ponder as it's getting close to me starting my first season back and I'd like some practice time with new sticks before going out in anger with them!

sorry it's a long post but needed to brain dump.

Ross

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
This was not custom fitting and I don't think you should have paid for it. Did you say you purchased a set of JPX 850?

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This was not custom fitting and I don't think you should have paid for it. Did you say you purchased a set of JPX 850?

Hi,

Thanks for the thoughts. I never bought the JPX and walked away feeling indifferent about it. I did have to pay £30 which I duly paid. The reason I sat and wrote it all down was to get more feedback. Plus I had a nagging thought in my head that Direct Golf in Dundee took longer to do the free MOT than I had for the custom fitting. Plus at least their the Mizuno DNA system suggested three heads and three shaft variations (I'm Sure it was XP105 or 115, Project X 5.5 and KBS Tour Stiff). I tested one.

So I'm now going to look at custom fit somewhere else. Like I said maybe the Titleist Regional Centre at Kingsacre. I felt I could have got more from the AP2 and 915's had the grips all not been worn or visibly ridged around the gripping area. I can't justify spending over £1k without being completely happy.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you were just trying clubs out rather than a custom fit,you were probably charged for the use of the trackman.
i have been custom fit there before and the guys were great,trying diffirent shaft and head combos.
i think its a 2 part process,now you have found the head you like you need custom fitting into them.
failing that try Paul Lawries place.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A number of outlets are charging for fitting now, mainly because punters have been going for (free) fittings, then buying off the t'interweb. Most fitters will discount at least the fitting charge if you buy from them, but ask for it before the fitting session.

A decent independent fitter will also have a selection of golf balls so that you can hit what you normally hit, no range balls, or at least a decent ball. And there will be a selection of shafts.

You don't mention spin rate in your review, but I'm guessing if he was giving you smash factor etc, he gave you spin rate. If he didn't, or if he did but didn't explain why it was important, he's not done a good job.

At the end of the day, if he wasn't swapping shafts on the irons you liked he's done a very poor fitting.

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you were just trying clubs out rather than a custom fit,you were probably charged for the use of the trackman.
i have been custom fit there before and the guys were great,trying diffirent shaft and head combos.
i think its a 2 part process,now you have found the head you like you need custom fitting into them.
failing that try Paul Lawries place.

It was booked as a custom fit specifically. I've only heard good things about Kings Links too so maybe its a case of user error on my part. Maybe my error was saying I hadn't a specific brand in mind, just I liked cleaner looking clubs at address. Won't try Lawries as I did try to book there but was told as I hadn't a handicap and just back playing I'd be better with lessons. Fair enough but I'd been practising there 4 days a week for over 9 months at lunchtimes and can clearly hit a ball (not always well though :)). So decided to body swerve it as I know lessons are needed but if I desperately need stiffer shafted clubs I'd rather be taught with the right equipment to get the most out of it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It was booked as a custom fit specifically.

Then, as others have said, you didn't get what you booked for.
A "proper" custom fitting will see the fitter get you selecting one or two clubs that you like the look of, watch you hit a few shots with each one, (after hitting your own), and the make recommendations on different shaft flexes, lie angles etc.
Did you hit any balls off of a strike mat?

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A number of outlets are charging for fitting now, mainly because punters have been going for (free) fittings, then buying off the t'interweb. Most fitters will discount at least the fitting charge if you buy from them, but ask for it before the fitting session.

A decent independent fitter will also have a selection of golf balls so that you can hit what you normally hit, no range balls, or at least a decent ball. And there will be a selection of shafts.

You don't mention spin rate in your review, but I'm guessing if he was giving you smash factor etc, he gave you spin rate. If he didn't, or if he did but didn't explain why it was important, he's not done a good job.

At the end of the day, if he wasn't swapping shafts on the irons you liked he's done a very poor fitting.

He did mention the spin rate and with all my irons they were spinning very high, obviously contributing to poor distance. The XP105 shaft with the 850's, in his opinion, produced excellent spin rates straight from the off. Sorry I can't remember the numbers but the Apex, AP2, and JPX all produced very similar spin rates, thats why he left it to me to pick what I liked. To be honest I ain't a great golfer now but all three irons stats when reviewed were really close. So I was swinging consistent - doubtless to change on the first medal round of the year! :)

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Then, as others have said, you didn't get what you booked for.
A "proper" custom fitting will see the fitter get you selecting one or two clubs that you like the look of, watch you hit a few shots with each one, (after hitting your own), and the make recommendations on different shaft flexes, lie angles etc.
Did you hit any balls off of a strike mat?

Yes only hit two balls of the strike mat and it showed that no lie adjustment was needed after the first two - contradicting the results I'd had showing I needed two degrees flat. So it was left at that and wanting to move onto the woods. The fitter was convinced I needed the 105 shaft in the iron as swing speed was only around 86-87mph. I really fancied hitting the PX5.5's in comparison to see the flight etc

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surprised that Lawries place said that tbh,i have never heard that a hcp was a prequisit to getting fitted.
btw 155 with a 7 iron is not short font believe forum distances!

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your going to travel to kings arce you might as well go see Scott gourlay at Craigmillar park golf club.
Nothing is a problem for him, lots of different range of makes of heads/shafts worth a check out

I bought my irons from him and I love them

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hey farfaeforfar.
I had a fitting at Kings Links last year - maybe a bit more in depth than yours but not much. What was the pro's name? I bought their recommended irons and hated them - specs were not right for me! So you were right to walk away if you were not 100% convinced.
I use the range there often and have a few sets with different stiff shafts that you'd be welcome to hit if you like just to see what you like?

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was booked as a custom fit specifically. I've only heard good things about Kings Links too so maybe its a case of user error on my part. Maybe my error was saying I hadn't a specific brand in mind, just I liked cleaner looking clubs at address. Won't try Lawries as I did try to book there but was told as I hadn't a handicap and just back playing I'd be better with lessons. Fair enough but I'd been practising there 4 days a week for over 9 months at lunchtimes and can clearly hit a ball (not always well though :)). So decided to body swerve it as I know lessons are needed but if I desperately need stiffer shafted clubs I'd rather be taught with the right equipment to get the most out of it.

There's a bit if contradiction in your posts, you've said you won't take lessons and that you dont want to spend over £1k on clubs until you're happy. It would be best for you to sort out your swing during the winter off-season and then get fitted for clubs in February/early March as your swing will be improved and more consistent and therefor you'll get more from a custom fit session.

With regards to where you get custom fit Kings links isn't ideal, especially on a windy day as any time I've been there the wind is blowing right into your face off the sea,and it's not the best range in that area anyway. I would recommend the Paul lawrie place for lessons as I found them to be professional and able to explain their point very clearly with the very good technology/equipment they have, although I haven't gone there for custom fitting.

The titleist fitting centre at kings acre doesn't discount the fitting fee from clubs recommended/bought. The information I had in summer 2014 was that discount was down to the discretion of the retailer. American golf told me they didn't discount the cost of fitting as they were charged it by the 3rd party, ie Titleist at Kings Acre.

Last edited:

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey farfaeforfar.
I had a fitting at Kings Links last year - maybe a bit more in depth than yours but not much. What was the pro's name? I bought their recommended irons and hated them - specs were not right for me! So you were right to walk away if you were not 100% convinced.
I use the range there often and have a few sets with different stiff shafts that you'd be welcome to hit if you like just to see what you like?

It was Fraser who did the fitting, And thanks for the offer, I'll drop you a PM later on as I only venture to Aberdeen to work one day a week now.

If your going to travel to kings arce you might as well go see Scott gourlay at Craigmillar park golf club.
Nothing is a problem for him, lots of different range of makes of heads/shafts worth a check out

this was my other thought so I may give him a call and see what availability he has. It's harder for me to get down that way so takes a little more planning!

Surprised that Lawries place said that tbh,i have never heard that a hcp was a prequisit to getting fitted.
btw 155 with a 7 iron is not short font believe forum distances!

Yeah it was one of the younger guys that said it. The guy who does the custom fit hasn't been around to talk to due to a hand injury. So again I'd rather wait until he is back. I'm not looking or expecting miles or forum yardages :D. Its more making sure I get something that I have confidence in. I can work out yardages for me once I get my new sticks.

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a bit if contradiction in your posts, you've said you won't take lessons and that you dont want to spend over £1k on clubs until you're happy. It would be best for you to sort out your swing during the winter off-season and then get fitted for clubs in February/early March as your swing will be improved and more consistent and therefor you'll get more from a custom fit session.

With regards to where you get custom fit Kings links isn't ideal, especially on a windy day as any time I've been there the wind is blowing right into your face off the sea,and it's not the best range in that area anyway. I would recommend the Paul lawrie place for lessons as I found them to be professional and able to explain their point very clearly with the very good technology/equipment they have, although I haven't gone there for custom fitting.

The titleist fitting centre at kings acre doesn't discount the fitting fee from clubs recommended/bought. The information I had in summer 2014 was that discount was down to the discretion of the retailer. American golf told me they didn't discount the cost of fitting as they were charged it by the 3rd party, ie Titleist at Kings Acre.

Yeah it does come across that way in terms of spending money Vs lessons. My intention is for lessons, but based down in Forfar as I only work 1 day a week in ABZ so committing to lessons up there isn't viable. I suppose in my mind (which I know is wrong), I'm not going to get the most out of lessons hitting irons, which in my mind at least, don't work for me. I'd rather have something that is suited to my swing speed and work hard on getting my swing sorted with them. I'd learn with one set, then have to adjust to new clubs (which I know is easier with a more consistent swing).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I agree that it wasn't a proper Custom Fit; merely an exercise to identify the best fitting of a number of possibilities. Given that there was no obligation to purchase, a charge - to deter time-wasters - is quite reasonable, though I would expect to be waived/credited if a purchase is made - even after a short contemplation time.

If you want a proper custom fit, Scott Gourlay does seem the place to go - at least on the East Coast of Scotland. Not experience him myself, but he is highly recommended by several guys I know whose opinion on that I trust.

Kings Acre is 'Titleist only' I believe - being their National Fitting Centre.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's all been said now I think but just thought I would drop a note to say I had some shafts fitted by Scott Gourlay some time back and it was a great job! As has been said, those who have used him from the forum all say good things.

I think the place you talk about in the OP took the mick. You could have tried the same clubs in a big box outlet for free. I get that they charge to ensure no time wasters but if your going to charge then go the whole hog. It would have taken another 5 mins to do a DNA check and would have been par for the course to teach you a little more about the process. They could have had a cool grand from you had they just done there job.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After reading the thread fully... I'm in agreement with others. I would have wanted to be atleast on a mizzy DNA as a start point for suggested shafts and then tried the suggestions in the heads i liked the look off.

I had a custom fit last year which was free, we started on the DNA for suggested shafts, then onto the heads I liked the look of. We tried each suggested shaft in each preferred head to get the best combo for each club, then compared back to back against my current set. As it was we didn't find a set that offered anything that the current bats didn't when compared on a flight scope so not purchase was made

I'd have not been happy to pay for the fitting that the OP received