Caddy improving lie

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in the GM meet the other day and spotted something interesting.

On our way out of the course (on a road that cuts through the course) I stopped to get through the security gate and blocked a caddy's view to the group he was with. He very casually improved his players lie by standing on the grass behind the ball smoothing it out for the player.

This raises a couple of questions. Is this something that caddies normally do for us mere mortals to make ourselves feel better?
Was he hoping for a bigger tip?
Was he asked to do this by his player?
Would you feel cheated if you had hired a caddy and found him improving your lie?
Or am I just being naïve and this is the norm?

Personally I would hate to find out that my lie had been improved during the round :angry:

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of stories of how Gary Players' caddie would always just happen to 'find' his ball. Only for club members to go back to the hole a few days later and actually find his ball!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never played with a caddie. But if I did and I found out they were doing that off their own back I'd be pretty miffed. If they get caught it will reflect badly on you, particularly if people assume you've asked the caddie to do this. Also any penalties or even DQ will be applied to you since you're the player. So it's not on really.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Bugger ... the only person who ever plays as my caddy delights in finding my ball in the most inaccessible spot possible. Usually embedded in mud.

bm

D

Deleted member 17920

Played in the GM meet the other day and spotted something interesting.

On our way out of the course (on a road that cuts through the course) I stopped to get through the security gate and blocked a caddy's view to the group he was with. He very casually improved his players lie by standing on the grass behind the ball smoothing it out for the player.

This raises a couple of questions. Is this something that caddies normally do for us mere mortals to make ourselves feel better?
Was he hoping for a bigger tip?
Was he asked to do this by his player?
Would you feel cheated if you had hired a caddy and found him improving your lie?
Or am I just being naïve and this is the norm?

Personally I would hate to find out that my lie had been improved during the round :angry:
To be honest with some of the American visitors we have just hit mulligans all over the place and some of the older generation want some help so they ask the caddy to knock the ball out of the rough and heather, for some its not about scoring at all it just going to a nice course and giving it a blast.

I know some are really keen on actually trying to make a score, I don't caddy very often but I did have one that hit his 1st tee shot way right and he said he will play another one, we didn't even go and look for it, he then did have some very good holes and got the 10th and then told me that he was 1under gross for the front 9 :rofl:

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know some are really keen on actually trying to make a score, I don't caddy very often but I did have one that hit his 1st tee shot way right and he said he will play another one, we didn't even go and look for it, he then did have some very good holes and got the 10th and then told me that he was 1under gross for the front 9 :rofl:

Wasn't Peter was it? :eek:ne:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played in Morocco years ago with compulsory caddies.
Every time we reached my ball, he would lean down, pinch and pluck a tuft of grass beside the ball, then replace my ball on this little grass "tee"
I had to tell him to stop it becuase it was annoying me!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest with some of the American visitors we have just hit mulligans all over the place and some of the older generation want some help so they ask the caddy to knock the ball out of the rough and heather, for some its not about scoring at all it just going to a nice course and giving it a blast.

same with all the yanks we get. most play the rough as a lateral hazard and just drop a ball where they think it went. Which the last time i caddied for some was 50 yards further than it actually went in :)

on the plus side i took Baldrick out along the right hand rough the day after the last time a caddied and he found a fair few brand new Prov1

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played in Morocco years ago with compulsory caddies.
Every time we reached my ball, he would lean down, pinch and pluck a tuft of grass beside the ball, then replace my ball on this little grass "tee"
I had to tell him to stop it becuase it was annoying me!

Did you only tell him on the 18th?;)