caddies

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello fellow golfers,

i am looking at playing RSG in the few days between winter festival and the New year but I have been told that a caddie is required so its an extra £50 + tip

my question is - what sort of tip would be deemed acceptable?

thanks

I occasionally caddie at RSG, the normal tip given ranges from £10 -£40 and I've had an £100 tip before by a guy whom has more money than sense.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you are sharing a caddie sometimes there is a higher fee, or at least there is at ours. I would round it up to a £100 if he is giving lines and advice to both. Enjoy St George's looks the sort of place you need one judging by what a saw on the with this year's open.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Wouldn't play on a course over here if you have to have a caddy.
However one I did tip a caddy in Thailand the equipment of 20 quid, recommended was about a fiver.
She did a lot more than just carry my clubs....?

D

Deleted member 3432

Never quite understood the caddie thing.

Trolley seems to do the job nicely for me or a light carry bag in winter to keep warmer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never quite understood the caddie thing.

Trolley seems to do the job nicely for me or a light carry bag in winter to keep warmer.
Americans seem to favour them more than any other nationality in my experience. Only ever had one once at St Andrews O C and that was mostly down to them not allowing trolleys before 12/1pm it was worth it tbh I gave him a good tip as he def helped with the lines off the tee etc. Go to Dornoch in a normal summer and I'd guess the majority of overseas visitors will have a caddy.

D

Deleted member 3432

Americans seem to favour them more than any other nationality in my experience. Only ever had one once at St Andrews O C and that was mostly down to them not allowing trolleys before 12/1pm it was worth it tbh I gave him a good tip as he def helped with the lines off the tee etc. Go to Dornoch in a normal summer and I'd guess the majority of overseas visitors will have a caddy.

Must be why I've not seen any Americans at ours this year, no caddies ?

Played with a Canadian visitor early in the summer who carried. He was delighted to be playing with members as we gave him the lines for the blind shots and saved him at lot of heartache.

So maybe a case as setting myself up as a volunteer caddie on my days off as a little earner?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Must be why I've not seen any Americans at ours this year, no caddies ?

Played with a Canadian visitor early in the summer who carried. He was delighted to be playing with members as we gave him the lines for the blind shots and saved him at lot of heartache.

So maybe a case as setting myself up as a volunteer caddie on my days off as a little earner?
Surely if visitors contact the club wanting a caddie the club must have some system in place to provide them?

D

Deleted member 3432

Surely if visitors contact the club wanting a caddie the club must have some system in place to provide them?

We have half a dozen buggies....

Need to bring your own if you want a caddie.

I don't think it's something that's ever been discussed within the club.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People would tip him 20 quid on top of 50?? That's a bit more than 10%!

Still only works out at 17 quid an hour for a 4 hour round.

Worth doing it just for the experience imo.

I’ve only had a caddie three times. Once in the UK (though for the life of my I can’t remember what course!), once in Jakarta and once In India (Mumbai)

The Indonesian caddy was as you would expect. A young rather attractive lassie, who I have zero doubts had a secondary, more “ horizontal”occupation after the 19th hole ?

My wee Indian caddy was paid a paltry fee by the club, so I did the right thing a lad threw him a huge tip which would probably be a weeks wage for the normal inhabits of Mumbai. It only equated to about 30 quid in 2006 so I’m not claiming to be a high roller. I think I threw him 20 duty free regal kingsize fags too, as we had a great time smoking all mine during the round.

I felt a huge sense of civic pride until I realised he had stolen all my pro v1’s from my bag ????

Little git ???

Fair play to him though

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The one and only time I caddied I got £1.

That would have paid for 4 pints of ale back then (1977 ish)

So £20 today - seems about right.