Busted. A Cheat Caught

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There has been a lot of discussion on here about people manipulating their handicaps and how easy it is especially via the EGU app. Sadly we have had a case at my club that came to light at the weekend. Chap has recently one a board knockout event by a massive score. His opponent felt something wasn't right given his golf on the day vs recent form according to his handicap and did some digging. Turns out this chap had been putting fictitious cards in at an away course to artificially manipulate his handicap upwards. Losing finalist lodged a complaint which the club took to the local Union (BBO) and after investigation the guy held his hands up. Been stripped of the event, had the handicap de-activated for a minimum of 3 months although the final sanctions not yet finalised. The other thing off the back of this is someone must have attested the scores so they would seem to be as complicit and dishonest and so it brings into question their own integrity about their handicapping. Was it a two way street? That bit hasn't come to light

It isn't just the board event though. he has taken money in our Saturday roll up as well as from his usual Sunday roll up as well so essentially playing off a false handicap and mugging off his mates. My roll up group has a Ryder cup two day match against the group he normally plays in for which he had qualified to play. We have flatly told them he's not playing or it isn't on.

Most of the guys I spoke to thought in a way it was a shame as he's actually a really nice guy and no-one can understand the logic behind doing something as blatant and stupid as this. A lot of us were surprised he showed his face yesterday and played with his usual rollup group although I don't think he was actually taking part, more just playing. Not sure I could show my face and personally I think he must have the skin of a rhino to try and front it out.

The big issue of course is what happens once his handicap suspension ends. He is now permanently tagged as a cheat and I am sure there won't be many wanting to tee it up in club competitions going forward. I guess it is a sad indication of how easy the system is to manipulate but I can't understand anyone feeling the need so desperately to win that they need to cheat the system. I am sure more stuff will come out about it and it has definitely caused some conversations at the club and left a bitter taste for many

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely the minimum would be banned from the club.....I can't imagine anyone wanting to play with him ever again
I am pretty sure that is the case and what handicap does he play off once he is allowed. As I said skin of a rhino to come in and play yesterday. I was told he has a marker (penalty???????) against his handicap at the moment so it is flagged and county are aware. I guess the issue is whether the club feel they can terminate his membership or face legal challenges. A whole minefield caused by one man trying to buck the system to win

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hope he gets just desserts, can you say what the manipulated margin was

For my part I’m not sure I could tell if an opponent’s handicap was ‘askew’ by 3 or 4 strokes based only on a round of golf

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the ban and sanctions were because the GP rounds were fictitious? Had he just put crap cards but played the round there would have been no grounds for sanctions I presume, even if they were not aligned with his scores in competition, or GP at your course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So the ban and sanctions were because the GP rounds were fictitious? Had he just put crap cards but played the round there would have been no grounds for sanctions I presume, even if they were not aligned with his scores in competition, or GP at your course.
I guess so. We can't understand why you would put cards in from a nearby course. Had he done what you said and simply put cards in at our course and played crap no-one would have known. I think the fact he was regularly putting played but did not score for 3-4 holes in a row also raised red flags as he is too good to do that on a regular basis.

Leftitshort

Visit site
You can’t start a round until you are on site. He must have played, or at least been on site at the ‘other’ club. You also can’t submit a round for at least a couple of hours, so unless he a- sat in the car park, b- started it then came back. He must have played. If he played then how does the OP know it was deliberate?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Exactly, even if he's not banned from the club (which he should be), he should be walking away - having the cheek to show up and play a round straight after is mind boggling.
I spoke to several of the guys from their roll up group outside. Apparently he is deeply ashamed (no crap - more ashamed he got caught and busted) and they are worried about his "mental health". Now I know we are all supposed to be doing more but sadly the hard-nosed cynic in me came out and I told them I thought it stunk, he was laughing at the guy he beat (cheated), laughing inwardly at least a the gullibility of the group for letting him play and that he has no sense of shame or remorse or he would have kept a low profile. That may make me look bad in some eyes but it is black and white as far as I can see and no way should he be playing as though nothing has happened

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I am pretty sure that is the case and what handicap does he play off once he is allowed. As I said skin of a rhino to come in and play yesterday. I was told he has a marker (penalty???????) against his handicap at the moment so it is flagged and county are aware. I guess the issue is whether the club feel they can terminate his membership or face legal challenges. A whole minefield caused by one man trying to buck the system to win
Be inteested to know on what basis they could mount a legal challenge to a termination of his membership. As far as I understand it clubs can decide for themselves on who they have as members providing they are not descriminating on the basis of one of the protected characteristics.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You can’t start a round until you are on site. He must have played, or at least been on site at the ‘other’ club. You also can’t submit a round for at least a couple of hours, so unless he a- sat in the car park, b- started it then came back. He must have played. If he played then how does the OP know it was deliberate?
The England Golf App allows you to be three kilometers away...I am currently sat my desk working from home...there are 4 courses that I can create a scoring intent for, without leaving my house.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I spoke to several of the guys from their roll up group outside. Apparently he is deeply ashamed (no crap - more ashamed he got caught and busted) and they are worried about his "mental health". Now I know we are all supposed to be doing more but sadly the hard-nosed cynic in me came out and I told them I thought it stunk, he was laughing at the guy he beat (cheated), laughing inwardly at least a the gullibility of the group for letting him play and that he has no sense of shame or remorse or he would have kept a low profile. That may make me look bad in some eyes but it is black and white as far as I can see and no way should he be playing as though nothing has happened
You can’t be too careful with people’s mental health Homer. Maybe it was just a mistake that he is truly sorry for. We’ve all made mistakes and double down on the lies to bluff it out

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The OP said they were fictitious so I can’t answer the questions you have. However, GPS just needs you in the vicinity, nip into the car park on your way to work, and back, seems easy enough if you are so inclined and have willing accomplices.

Leftitshort

Visit site
The England Golf App allows you to be three kilometers away...I am currently sat my desk working from home...there are 4 courses that I can create a scoring intent for, without leaving my house.
Yes I’ve just checked it out. Broke the course record at one 2km away, now just need a someone to verify……..joke of a system

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The OP said they were fictitious so I can’t answer the questions you have. However, GPS just needs you in the vicinity, nip into the car park on your way to work, and back, seems easy enough if you are so inclined and have willing accomplices.

That seems like a heck of way to try and bring you handicap up - go to near and golf club and then start a card on the App

Also someone needs to attest the cards as well ?

If you want to manufacture your handicap you don’t need go to an away club - you just do it at your home club 🤷‍♂️

But it’s something that needs someone to help you