Bunker Mentality.....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Id like to know everyones views on getting out...... Its something that i dont practice very often i have to hold my hand up....I suppose im not alone in struggling at times to get out of them......

Iv seen many many ways of people playing bunker shots and 1 in particular surprised me....He was a 3 handicapper but when playing from the sand he never opened up the SW.....Always played the shot with the loft of the club......
Every time he went in one he came out no problem......

Does anyone play sand shots like this?

And whats the point in opening up the face of a 56 degree wedge in a bunker when there should be enough bounce already on the club to do its job......

Maybe im making a simple shot harder than it needs to be by opening up a SW in a bunker!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
So many ways to play a bunker shot and I feel too many people are obsessed with playing the flop shot. At times I will just play it as a normal pitch shot with a SW and knock it out and let it run. Other times I will have my LW in hand getting it up and down as fast as possible. Bunker shots all depend on what I am faced with, sometimes you just have to get it out and not try and be too fancy.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So many ways to play a bunker shot and I feel too many people are obsessed with playing the flop shot. At times I will just play it as a normal pitch shot with a SW and knock it out and let it run. Other times I will have my LW in hand getting it up and down as fast as possible. Bunker shots all depend on what I am faced with, sometimes you just have to get it out and not try and be too fancy.

well out Adey :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Never open the face, always use the SW & play its loft

As a high h/capper this was never my fav shot and not unusual to take more than one-out, but since changing the wedge about a year ago I really enjoy playing out of a greenside bunker now and very rarely need a second hit (unfortunately I still get plenty of opportunities)