bunker drops

dazzmovlgc

Visit site
Hello forum,
If your ball is embedded in a bunker and you are entitled to a free drop ,can you drop the ball on the edge of the bunker so that it doesn't plug again. The ball would roll down the face before stopping. Otbviousl you aren't entitled to be nearer the hole?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello forum,
If your ball is embedded in a bunker and you are entitled to a free drop ,can you drop the ball on the edge of the bunker so that it doesn't plug again. The ball would roll down the face before stopping. Otbviousl you aren't entitled to be nearer the hole?
Hi , and welcome. If you type in the search box on the top right of the screen ." in bunker or not" you'll find all your answers in that thread. enjoy :eek:ne:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, but my point being, can you drop the ball on the grassed edge so it rolls and doesn't plug again? Again,so long as it's no nearer the hole?

Yes, in essence, you may drop the ball (whether under penalty or not) anywhere within the area specified by the relevant rule.
When it lands it may not roll nearer the hole than it was originally and may not roll more than 2 clublengths in any direction.

See http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-20/#20-2

Edit: I have just realised you have altered the situation. In your OP you simple said edge, now it is a grassed edge.
It makes a significant difference.
The grassed edge is not in the bunker and you may only drop outside the bunker in certain circumstances. And then under penalty of 1 stroke.

In order to answer your question we need to know why you were dropping and whether the ball was to be dropped in or out of the bunker.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Here's a link to the threat mentioned above - though I don't think it's the same situation. It does, however, show what the boundaries of a bunker are, so that may help you.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?60518-In-the-bunker-or-not&highlight=bunker

I believe that all that's happened is (perhaps during wet weather) a ball has plugged in a bunker, so my answer assumes this.

Unless it's actually in casual water, there is no free relief, If casual water, then Nearest Point of Relief governs your options - you can drop within 1 club length, within the bunker, of that point. You can also take a 1 shot penalty drop outside the bunker back in line......

If merely plugged then you can proceed under the unplayable rule which is (apart from Strok and Distance/Replay the last shot) gives you 2 club lengths either way (not nearer the pin) or as far back in line... So it may be possible to avoid a plug if it is dropped 'well' but there is danger if a re-drop is required! You could end up with a further Penalty/dodgy lie situation as opposed to the 'mildly plugged' that happens on the normal drop!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, but my point being, can you drop the ball on the grassed edge so it rolls and doesn't plug again? Again,so long as it's no nearer the hole?

as long as the point the ball first contacts the course meets the critera for the rule you are dropping under, and the position the ball ends up with also meets the appropriate critera, you can utilise all and any slopes etc you can find to assist!

Unfortunately I always find that the position my ball ends up in in such situations rarely permits me to drop on the front face of the bunker so that it rolls into a 'nice lie', and if I try the back slope it sticks and leaves me an impossible shot! I now practice playing dropped balls in the bottom of the bunker....:)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem with dropping on a slope in bunker in the hope the ball won't plug is of course that it might plug on the downslope or stop near the back lip, making the shot harder!

I have seen situations on the telly where the commentators have pointed out that a pro dropping out of a water hazard may deliberately drop on slope where the ball will roll back into the hazard in order to take advantage of the fact that after 2 such drops they can place the ball and thereby get a better lie. Clever chaps.