Building a golf cage in the backgarden - DIY idea

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been pottering around in the garage and I found an old 3mx4m gazebo that we bought for junior’s first birthday celebration or so. Once used it has been stored away. Instead of throwing it away, I am wondering if I can convert it into a golf/cricket practice cage. Also in the garage is a fishing net that I got for some golf practice and now I think this can be a good marriage. I can drape it over the gazebo to make the cage.
I have permission from the Mrs to set it up behind the garage… but the condition is that it will have to be folded and put away after use. This is where it hits the buffers. My current thinking is
1) I am going to get rid of the canopy section as the net can stay flat.. this is the easy bit
2) I need to find a way to replace the short horizontal bars (in the picture) with some form of folding mechanism
3) I can find some wheels for two legs. That way one pair of legs can be put into some sort of parasol while the others can be rolled out. This should also be straightforward.

If I can do it, then I have a cage under 50 quid of new money. Easy said than done but I will struggle to find a way to make the whole thing foldable as the horizontal bars are needed for stability.

Anyone with bright ideas or has done one before

Attachments

• argos_3x4_d-lux.pdf-0.jpg
    argos_3x4_d-lux.pdf-0.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 48
D

Deleted member 21258

Don't under estimate the need for some kind of impact sheet were the balls hit, the open netting is not much good and soon lets balls past. Whether that is a old duvet cover or proper archery/golf impact net, have used both to good use.

Pass about the folding mechanism part, you can buy cheap 'fold up/down' setups that are almost like tent poles, the one I have folds flat but is still fairly large in height/width. These are not much good for shanks or badly skied hits. If you have the room build a complete cage/net as they catch shanks and high hits, along with the poles are strong enough to hang an impact net off.

Best of luck.