Buffer with an NR ?

User20204

Visit site
Seems I made buffer this weekend with an NR ? Can someone explain to me how I managed it as every time I ask our handicap sec. he baffles me with science so a bit embarrassed to ask him any further questions.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because your handicap adjustments are made from your Stableford score regardless of what your medal score

You can NR on one hole and still get a cut if your Stableford adjustment is good

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I heard of a guy who won a board medal with a 10 on the card...

Personally I’ve shot over 40 points with a blob at least once.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It wasn't a stableford comp and I certainly never shot 40+ pts.
Of course not - you almost certainly would have managed a cut not buffer!

You have had the answer right at the beginning - your competition results are based on your medal score (if a medal) but your handicap adjustments are always based on your nominal stableford score.

D

Deleted member 1147

It wasn't a stableford comp and I certainly never shot 40+ pts.
If you translate your medal score into stableford scoring you will have 0 points on the hole you nr’d. But you must have scored between 36 points, less whatever handicap category you are in, on the other 17 holes (assuming css is level par).

ie, if css is level par and you are category 2, the buffer is 2 shots, you can score between 34 and 36 points and not go up.

User20204

Visit site
If you translate your medal score into stableford scoring you will have 0 points on the hole you nr’d. But you must have scored between 36 points, less whatever handicap category you are in, on the other 17 holes (assuming css is level par).

ie, if css is level par and you are category 2, the buffer is 2 shots, you can score between 34 and 36 points and not go up.

Cat 1. Think I was only 4 over for the other 17 but never gave it any thought given I NR'd early in the round.

User20204

Visit site
I find it surprising the amount of folk, even experienced club golfers who don't know you can hit buffer or Ben cut even after a N/R- many times I've seen people N/R then appear to give up after believing it results in an automatic 0.1

It surprised me I could make buffer but give up, nope, that's just not me. Mentally it is very tough to NR early in a round, you feel you've just wasted your whole day, but a good drive and a par on the next soon banishes things, then it's just back to work and grind away, in a way feels like the pressure is off as anyone with a fairly low handicap will tell you, there is constant pressure put upon you by yourself.

D

Deleted member 1147

So css is1 over par, thus you can score 35 points and play to “net” par. Cat 1 gives you 1 extra shot for the buffer. So that becomes 34 points to buffer for that competition.

So if you translate your medal score to stableford points, on the17 holes on which you didn’t NR you needed to score 34 or 35 points to avoid an increase of 0.1.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I find it surprising the amount of folk, even experienced club golfers who don't know you can hit buffer or Ben cut even after a N/R- many times I've seen people N/R then appear to give up after believing it results in an automatic 0.1

I had a deep and meaningful natter with a PP who was 6 under after 13 he shot a 9 on a par five, his head had gone. He had about 20 seconds before he got to the next tee. I calmed him down and he got cut 0.9 think it was. Battled through the last four. He kept saying what if. But he had a nice cut.

User20204

Visit site
I had a deep and meaningful natter with a PP who was 6 under after 13 he shot a 9 on a par five, his head had gone. He had about 20 seconds before he got to the next tee. I calmed him down and he got cut 0.9 think it was. Battled through the last four. He kept saying what if. But he had a nice cut.

6 under ? Holy sheet, that's European Tour stuff that.