Budget wedge advice?

aaronjunited

Hacker
Visit site
I am looking a 58 Lob Wedge to use instead of a PW closer to the green.

I only use my SW in the bunker and some shots around the green. I use my PW around the 100 yard mark. I need something to fill in when I'm closer to the green which has more loft than the PW and will allow me to get the ball up high on short distances if needed.

I have seen the Mizuno MP T-11 and think this is a nice wedge.
http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/499577/Mizuno_MP_T-11_White_Satin.html

Anyone got suggestions and advice?

Budget around £40.

Thanks,
Aaron.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought the MD 58* seve icon wedge off the bay. New for £30 i think. Ive never had one before so I have nothing to measure against.

But I like it.

I use it a lot as my aproaches are usually short and/or wide..;)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cleveland cg15 50quid from most stores , great club

I say go with Cleveland too if you can get the rtx on a trade in gives you choice of traditional add style same as cg 15 or cavity back option.
Other than that MD Wilson or Adams have a look at clubhouse/snainton online for offers.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For me the benefit of second hand is that you could get something really good for £40 and then if it doesn't work out for you then you can just sell it on again at little/no depreciation. Wedges seem to be a very personal thing-what works for some won't be the tool for you.

I have a couple of spares at 58/60 degree that could go to Norn Iron in your price range...let me know if you want details.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could check out the MD wedges from Dunluce golf.

I have the 48* of the following and it's one of my favourite clubs. Feels good to hit and looks good at address.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MD-GO...re_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&var=&hash=item256ede22ac

I know that second hand is always an option if you want a big brand wedge but if feel the advantage to new is the fact you are guaranteed grooves at their best and MD wedges are known for high spin rates. I've even managed the odd back spin on a receptive green ;).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Lob Wedges can be tricky beasts

Really depends on what loft your PW is (mine is 48, bit latest ones can be 44) but something around 50-54 (probably between 51 nd 53 though) could well be more useful. Also depends on whether there are spare spaces in the bag - and how many s a 58-60 may well be useful at some stage.

Using the SW pretty much only for sand (or deep rough) seems very sensible to me!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I suggest you have a wedge lesson instead of buying another wedge
Bob.

Did Lob Wedges actually exist when you were learning your golf? Or Gap Wedges? Or 'modern' Cavity Back irons?

I agree though. Learning how to hit wedges is important.

What would you consider 'fair odds' on 'younger' Pro suggesting that a pupil consider the purchase of a Gap or Lob Wedge?

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dunlop NZ9

Good call! Any of the NZ range I've seen and tried is actually very appealing on a budget. With an RRP and ethos targetting the better quality mid range market but with actual retail usually lower they tick a lot of boxes. Just a shame Sports Direct don't seem to put them in store.