Buchanan Castle Golf Club - Disgraceful open payouts

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
One final point. We decide on the dates for Opens as much as a year in advance so therefore that stops us taking societies on that day.
We have to turn away business on our Open days but we are prepared to accept that.
We will obviously review our Open policies before next year but thinking if we do have one there maybe no entries from Braehead GC
So did yous not make any money from catering or the bar from the day ? I'd have to assume yous did and probably a far greater amount than if a society or group of visitors came.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So did yous not make any money from catering or the bar from the day ? I'd have to assume yous did and probably a far greater amount than if a society or group of visitors came.

Is that really fair to ask if you don't also ask the OP how much his group spent on food and drinks on the day?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I reckon they might have taken their own sandwiches!

Certainly possible as there's no mention in the opening post (and given the thread context you'd think it would be mentioned had there been a notable amount spent on top of the green fees)

Just another imponderable :unsure:

Siolag

Visit site
In my previous sport, Athletics, you’d get loads of pot hunters. Occasionally you’d hear them moan about a prize, but I’d always say, find out the prize before you run, if it’s not worth the bother/travel/other expenses, don’t run.

Seems like the same should apply to golf opens really, if the prize matters, find out before.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is that really fair to ask if you don't also ask the OP how much his group spent on food and drinks on the day?

...and we don't know the nature and ownership of the club and how catering and bar are organised. It could be that the golf club is separate from the ownership, and that the catering and bar are run by such as a franchise and so majority of profit made does not go to the golf club.

So many opinions and critical judgement made made on a poor or incomplete understanding of the club - and all because the winners feel that they didn't get as much for winning as they might have expected. As others have said -when prize money gets a bit high - the '£££-hunters' can roll up, and I'd rather they just kept their greedy claws out of it. I never play in comps in hope of winning £££s - I always play in comps in hope of winning - and if I don't then so be it.

Just on expectations - do not many clubs actually state in their Open comp notifications the winnings for those in the frame?

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
£10 for a game of golf is not expensive at all, to call it a disgrace is way off the mark, regardless of the prizes.

Clubs are doing what they can to maintain a decent product and raise enough money to cover their costs and hopefully invest a bit into facilities and upgrades. They are not charities and no one is creaming a profit from giving their time and effort to helping a golf club run effectively.

My club run a few Opens, with differing formats. But what they do is charge members a discounted rate to enter. Sure it's more expensive than just playing a normal club comp, but there is usually a few freebies, lunch, drink etc. as well as the chance for prizes.

I'd say in Buchanan Castle's case, they could have done something similar, rather than run it at £10 a head, which is expensive for members, but very cheap for visitors. I think ours are along the lines of £10 for members and £20 for non-members, but I may not have that exact and it may be £15 and £30. Probably is more palatable to members and allows a bit more in the fund for prizes or freebies on the day.

It seems that our Opens have been pretty successful and raised funds, as well as raised the profile of the club. Obviously they are a lot of work to put on and organise and the clubs do take a risk with regards it becoming a big hassle if weather doesn't play it's part and they have to cancel it or postpone it and refund people etc.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the thoughts regarding the cost to enter an Open event and how much it should be as I think it varies a lot?
If I had opens that cheap down my way, or I lived closer I would jump on them straight away. £10 entry to play 18 holes is a steal, regardless of any winnings. You can't even play pitch and putt for that:)

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the Buchanan castle employee stated they made £160 nett profit after costs, odds are they have included costs for bar staff etc but haven't factored in extra revenue from the bar and catering. It's a poor prize fund let's be honest, most clubs see opens as an opportunity to let people see how good their club is, gain potential new members, let people have a good day and make any money from the bar/catering. They do not try and profit from entry fees alone. Is this a member owned club ?

golfer13

Visit site
Costs for extra clubhouse staff were not included but a good point and maybe we should factor that in.
£160 on the day gives us a £40 loss over 2 years.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well the Buchanan castle employee stated they made £160 nett profit after costs, odds are they have included costs for bar staff etc but haven't factored in extra revenue from the bar and catering. It's a poor prize fund let's be honest, most clubs see opens as an opportunity to let people see how good their club is, gain potential new members, let people have a good day and make any money from the bar/catering. They do not try and profit from entry fees alone. Is this a member owned club ?
It's a business, trying to stay afloat like every other business in the world.
If it were for professional golfers you can argue about the prize fund, but it's for amateurs who got a very cheap game at what sounds a nice course.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a business, trying to stay afloat like every other business in the world.
If it were for professional golfers you can argue about the prize fund, but it's for amateurs.
Point is most clubs aren't run as s profit making business, that's not the main objective. You are more likely to have a better experience at an open day at a private members club in my opinion

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Costs for extra clubhouse staff were not included but a good point and maybe we should factor that in.
£160 on the day gives us a £40 loss over 2 years.
So you didn't take any extra revenue from the bar or catering than you would have on a normal Sunday? Perhaps you should factor that in

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
...and we don't know the nature and ownership of the club and how catering and bar are organised. It could be that the golf club is separate from the ownership, and that the catering and bar are run by such as a franchise and so majority of profit made does not go to the golf club.

So many opinions and critical judgement made made on a poor or incomplete understanding of the club - and all because the winners feel that they didn't get as much for winning as they might have expected. As others have said -when prize money gets a bit high - the '£££-hunters' can roll up, and I'd rather they just kept their greedy claws out of it. I never play in comps in hope of winning £££s - I always play in comps in hope of winning - and if I don't then so be it.

Just on expectations - do not many clubs actually state in their Open comp notifications the winnings for those in the frame?

Yeah I said similar in post 80

I cant say not being there but I continually hear about pubs going bust and folk not drinking anymore (particularly in Scotland) Do you really see the bar in a clubhouse as a viable day-time fundraising option? (especially when its not likely to be locals) I just don't imagine the till was ringing too loudly that day

And as I say we don't know the status of the catering operation, even if players ate any notable amount (the the tee times don't support that they would eat big)

So if the prize fund had to come predominantly from the green fee I actually think 40% is too high

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Point is most clubs aren't run as s profit making business, that's not the main objective. You are more likely to have a better experience at an open day at a private members club in my opinion
You have to cover all expenses, and build a little positive balance in the kitty to cover unforeseen expenditure as well as planned expenses.
If they don't they go under.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I said similar in post 80

I cant say not being there but I continually hear about pubs going bust and folk not drinking anymore (particularly in Scotland) Do you really see the bar in a clubhouse as a viable day-time fundraising option? (especially when its not likely to be locals) I just don't imagine the till was ringing too loudly that day

And as I say we don't know the status of the catering operation, even if players ate any notable amount (the the tee times don't support that they would eat big)

So if the prize fund had to come predominantly from the green fee I actually think 40% is too high
Clubs incur roughly the same staffing costs regardless what day it is and if they dont they are giving their own members a poor service. Its a weak argument to make imho, also extra greenstaff for an open day ? What are they doing the rest of the time ? clubs can make good money from food and drink if they do it right

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You have to cover all expenses, and build a little positive balance in the kitty to cover unforeseen expenditure as well as planned expenses.
If they don't they go under.
Open days are a means to promote a club not for profit making, if that's your main objective to profit from people playing the course you shouldn't have them just go as a pay and play venue and try and get as high a volume of visitors as possible

D

Deleted member 15344

Your trying to flog a dead horse mate
Not really

He has come on an explained in a polite manner and it seems his club have acted above board , provided what it seems is a great day out for a very small price. The complaint seems to be purely someone wants to win more money , seems a bit like pot hunting at the end of the day but the golfers have had a good day and made a profit , as we are all amateurs the prize money is irrelevant.

The club don’t appear to be making massive profit so it all just seems like sour grapes