Buchanan Castle Golf Club - Disgraceful open payouts

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played a three day pairs comp which was £165 per person for three good quality courses (i.e. would cost you more than that in green fees), think the winners got a trophy and a dozen pro v's. (there were some other balls given out for daily winners) No issue with it at all, everyone played in good spirits and enjoyed the beauty of competition and the courses.

Unless you're trying to make a living, then I too think you aren't coming across well complianing when you paid a £10 entry.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair £50 for the winners is probably the lowest prize money I've came across, even in Senior open competitions.
Not that it concerns me anymore :mad:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont play golf for money but if I win 1st scratch prize in an open its usually between £120 and £150, which is always nice if you win and keeps you interested

You could pay £20 or £30 to enter as a single and win £100 to £150.
3 people get a day out with mates paying £30 in total and win £150 between them. Don't see a problem personally.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In Oxfordshire about £40, in Scotland a tenner ;)

https://www.golfempire.co.uk/club/oxfordshire-clubs.htm

In Scotland the prices depend on the course. My club charges £30 for visitors but the weekend green fee is ~£100.
I'm playing the Glen on Sunday, it is £20 to enter.
Royal Aberdeen is at least £50 to enter their Open and Dundobald is at least that.
Higher entry does not necessarily lead to higher prize money.

sweeneytoddd

Medal Winner
www.braeheadgolfclub.co.uk
Maybe it’s just our club then- we pay out 75% of entry money into the prize pool
As an example at our Open last month 1st place was £300, 2nd - £220 3rd £150, 4th - £100 5th - £60 , 6th - £30
Also had four nett prizes
The entry fee was £13

With a full entry for an open a clubshould be able to have a financially good day from visitors spending money at the bar: on food etc

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Must admit I play amateur golf, delighted if I win a bit of silverware, no need for anything of monetary value and golf clubs are having a tough time financially. Personally I'd be delighted with having won but I guess everyone has different views.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I thought most of us just play golf for the enjoyment , enter opens for a cheap green fun and any winnings are a bonus

As for the prize fund from an Open

The first thing you need to understand the cost

If it’s a pay and play course then the lost green fees need to be recovered , the extra green staff that could be needed are required to be paid , if it’s a Members course then the course is closed to them so money into the coffers offsets that

But ultimately any Open I have been in you know the level of prize money on offer but it’s always been about playing a nice course

Four of us are playing Woodhall Spa in a couple of weeks - £55 each , a massive bargain and I don’t give a monkeys what the prize fund is

sweeneytoddd

Medal Winner
www.braeheadgolfclub.co.uk
Well I thought most of us just play golf for the enjoyment , enter opens for a cheap green fun and any winnings are a bonus

As for the prize fund from an Open

The first thing you need to understand the cost

If it’s a pay and play course then the lost green fees need to be recovered , the extra green staff that could be needed are required to be paid , if it’s a Members course then the course is closed to them so money into the coffers offsets that

But ultimately any Open I have been in you know the level of prize money on offer but it’s always been about playing a nice course

Four of us are playing Woodhall Spa in a couple of weeks - £55 each , a massive bargain and I don’t give a monkeys what the prize fund is

I run the completions at my own course- I totally understand the cost - maybe you dont
There is no extra work required from green staff- it’s the summer, greens are cut every day
I do get that some opens at more we’ll known courses are worth the extra - if a club is that desperate for money maybe it should be looking at its running costs

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me, am torn. We had 59 lads turn up at our pit day paying £40 pp.
£10 went to prize money. The course had 59 x £18 for the round and 59 x £12 for food. Plus beer money. Loadsa beer money. I/ we paid out £200 for the fourball £120 and £80. £60 for individual £40 runner up etc etc. The lads had a fantastic day. The course sold its self very well. But it wasn't about the money.
Dont get me wrong. It dont sound like a “ bucket list” course. So a round of golf for £10. Al take that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is that so?

Disagree.

The prize pot is measly and down right disgusting if you ask me.

Clubs should make their money from the bar and catering during opens. To skim do much from competitors entry fees is a farce. I appreciate you may incur a few additional costs running an open but that really takes the proverbial.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
They netted over £1300 before 'extra' costs. What extra costs? 10 hours overtime @ £30 an hour = £300. So they netted £1000 less extra cost of more bar staff/catering staff? Oh look, visitors who probably wouldn't have a bar card and would pay full whack for drinks. A number of them may have travelled a distance and would buy lunch/snacks... There wouldn't be a huge amount more over the bar than any given Saturday but catering always does better at opens.

I'm all for skimming off the top to cover things like updating the honours boards and engraving the trophies for the annual prize giving night. But by the time the Comps Committee has skimmed a bit off every comp/open through the year it sure as hell doesn't amount to much per comp to cover the annual costs.

It wouldn't have taken a huge chunk more to pay a bit more to the winners and down to, say, 5th or 6th.

Rip off.

Visit site
The original posters 3rd sentence reads as follows “Cost was £30 a team which was great value for a days competitive golf.”
You then proceed on a massive ‘drip session’ about how you perceive the team and you was ‘ripped off’.
In my book ‘4 hours of golf on someone’s else course and going home a net £40 up’ is not ‘disgraceful’ and ‘avoid at all costs’.
Lucky it was a team event and you got to play only with two mates. You must be a right barrel of laughs to play with? I feel sorry for the unfortunate souls who gets to spend 4 hours in your company off a random draw competition. “ Next on the tee, Victor ‘I don’t believe it’ Meldrew....”

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Prize pot goes way down if say £7 green fee and 3 for the comp. Less say 50% members playing so no Green fees for them.