Breaking 80...

JMSAFC87

Visit site
I thought yesterday was the day, then I got the score in my head with two holes to go. I ended up losing a ball on a par 4 and getting a 7 and 5 on a par 3. :cry:. Enjoyed the round never the less.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even when I try not to count my score I always know how I am doing, I knew I had 2 putts for a 79 in one of the last comps of last season and took 3 :(

D

Deleted member 21258

80 is merely a number, like 85 or 82. Tend not to even think about it, as that is all it is,

Better luck next time.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought yesterday was the day, then I got the score in my head with two holes to go. I ended up losing a ball on a par 4 and getting a 7 and 5 on a par 3. :cry:. Enjoyed the round never the less.

Now is a moment that lasts forever and everything happens within it.

Stay in the present, prefer process goals over result goals if you have to have goals.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Clearly you are good enough as i am sure you will have parred both holes at some point.

I was the same with 90 for a while, kept shooting 91 or 92 and then thinking what if. I always knew if I was close and as i do the scores for our 4ball i have a habit of counting up halfway through each nine.

89 came and then become a regular (not as regular as i would have liked!) and it is just a number. when it came i felt like i had a few breaks which meant that some of the 91s were actually better golf but still celebrated

in and around 85 at the moment so hopefuly join you in the 70s club soon

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd say that next you're playing well and reckon you could be on a good score, add it up and see where you are relative to shooting 80.
Then, concentrate your mind on playing well, to beat 79.
Don't chicken out, by not adding them up. Challenge yourself to do better!
I always know exactly what my score is (unless it's totally blown and I've NR'd), and if I play the last few holes well or poorly it has nothing to do with the pressure of trying to beat a certain score.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say that next you're playing well and reckon you could be on a good score, add it up and see where you are relative to shooting 80.
Then, concentrate your mind on playing well, to beat 79.
Don't chicken out, by not adding them up. Challenge yourself to do better!
I always know exactly what my score is (unless it's totally blown and I've NR'd), and if I play the last few holes well or poorly it has nothing to do with the pressure of trying to beat a certain score.
I'd just rather not think about it, because there's absolutely no need. As we know, golf is mainly in the head, so if you know you've hit the ball well all day, you'll know you're on for a decent score, but why bring an extra factor into your head by adding it up? Just be comfortable knowing that you can continue hitting it well for the last few holes and then see what the score was afterwards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's been discussed before, but I will always know what I've scored to par/handicap whenever I play. It seems etched in my brain and even if I don't mark a card or look at my scores in a competition, I'll always know how I'm doing. On the rare good days, I just try and play one hole, one shot at a time and let the score take care of itself. What I have been working hard on, and getting better at, is going "if I make net birdie at the next, net par at the one after, I'm back on track" I was as guilty as the OP of getting ahead of myself.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd just rather not think about it, because there's absolutely no need. As we know, golf is mainly in the head, so if you know you've hit the ball well all day, you'll know you're on for a decent score, but why bring an extra factor into your head by adding it up? Just be comfortable knowing that you can continue hitting it well for the last few holes and then see what the score was afterwards.

How well you hit the ball and how well you score are 2 different beasts - I'll wager there are loads of people on this forum who've played well and scored poorly & vice versa. Learning to score well is integral to improving, just as much as learning to hit it well.

Challenging yourself, making yourself uncomfortable can help you improve.

Also, if you're aiming to play to 80, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what your current score to par is at any given point in time. So it shouldn't be too much more for your head to cope with!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll never forget this one time I was on for a personal best, can’t remember if it was going to break 80, I hadn’t added up at the time but I knew I had played well.. anyways 16th hole felt a pain in my shoulder.. managed to scrape a bogey on that hole but the 17th par 3 I was in agony , hit a 6, and the 18th par 4 (very long aswell) scored an 8! Walked off still happy with the score (showed how well I had played to still score wel with 2 awful holes at end) anyways turns out I’d slightly torn my rottery cuff in my right shoulder .. took a few months of physio to fix that!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How well you hit the ball and how well you score are 2 different beasts - I'll wager there are loads of people on this forum who've played well and scored poorly & vice versa. Learning to score well is integral to improving, just as much as learning to hit it well.

Challenging yourself, making yourself uncomfortable can help you improve.

Also, if you're aiming to play to 80, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what your current score to par is at any given point in time. So it shouldn't be too much more for your head to cope with!
Why bother though? You're always trying to score as low as possible anyway. I just don't see how suddenly knowing that you need to finish in 8 shots or less to break 80 is helpful, personally.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it helps me knowing my score and allows me to set targets for myself for the finish. I find I concentrate more and perform better rather than it having an adverse affect on my score. I like to know where I'm at going into the final few holes, so I know how aggressive I should be. Bit like how certain Tour pros are scoreboard watchers, and some aren't I guess.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always know what my score is. I don't need a card and I don't need to add anything up, I just know my score.

But it doesn't affect my game as it only counts after you've shook hands on the 18th green.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find it helps me knowing my score and allows me to set targets for myself for the finish. I find I concentrate more and perform better rather than it having an adverse affect on my score. I like to know where I'm at going into the final few holes, so I know how aggressive I should be. Bit like how certain Tour pros are scoreboard watchers, and some aren't I guess.

I like getting a sharpie and changing the card to all par 5s

Then when the under 200 yard “par 5”s come along really push for a “birdie”.. “par” the rest and it’s happy days