Breaking 80...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Breaking 80 or 90 are fairly random numbers to use.
I can understand breaking 100 as being a big deal but 90 or 80 or 70 all depend on what the par of your course is.
What's better..?
79 on a par 69 or 81 on a par 72 ( discounting SSS/CSS)??

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck on breaking 80.

I always keep a track of my score in my head relative to my par. If I score -5 then I’ll break 90, which sadly i’ve only achieved once (85).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like getting a sharpie and changing the card to all par 5s

Then when the under 200 yard “par 5”s come along really push for a “birdie”.. “par” the rest and it’s happy days
I still play my course as all par fives in my head. Go round in 90 (net 77 off my handicap) and while it's not going to set the world alight and 0.1 back on the handicap, it's still only 4 shots off the buffer and will be mid-table in the division. Takes a lot of pressure off and as you say, things like par 3's are chances to make inroads (even a four is one under fives and ahead of the game) and takes the pressure of having to make par at long or harder par four's. Again a par on par five and holding steady feels like a birdie (sometimes is a net birdie with the shot). Really helps take the pressure off

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I still play my course as all par fives in my head. Go round in 90 (net 77 off my handicap) and while it's not going to set the world alight and 0.1 back on the handicap, it's still only 4 shots off the buffer and will be mid-table in the division. Takes a lot of pressure off and as you say, things like par 3's are chances to make inroads (even a four is one under fives and ahead of the game) and takes the pressure of having to make par at long or harder par four's. Again a par on par five and holding steady feels like a birdie (sometimes is a net birdie with the shot). Really helps take the pressure off

The par of a hole should never influence how you play the hole, just play it the best you can.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's some weird minds on here....

Good luck on breaking 80. I know it's just a number, but it's definitely a sign that you're a proper golfer and worth a mental fist bump when you get there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Breaking 80 or 90 are fairly random numbers to use.
I can understand breaking 100 as being a big deal but 90 or 80 or 70 all depend on what the par of your course is.
What's better..?
79 on a par 69 or 81 on a par 72 ( discounting SSS/CSS)??
You're correct. It's just the human brain's natural fixation on metrics I guess.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i know my score all the time ,i dont try and think what i need to score to shoot a pb ,every shot i take is taken on merit ,i play [or try] to play to the best of my ability with every shot even if i am having a mare ,shooting a pb or breaking whatever number dosent come into my thinking but knowing my score is .

sunshine

Visit site
I’ll never forget this one time I was on for a personal best, can’t remember if it was going to break 80, I hadn’t added up at the time but I knew I had played well.. anyways 16th hole felt a pain in my shoulder.. managed to scrape a bogey on that hole but the 17th par 3 I was in agony , hit a 6, and the 18th par 4 (very long aswell) scored an 8! Walked off still happy with the score (showed how well I had played to still score wel with 2 awful holes at end) anyways turns out I’d slightly torn my rottery cuff in my right shoulder .. took a few months of physio to fix that!

Cool story bro