Booking system v no booking system

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm meeting up with my Banchory cousins this weekend (though in Dunfermline not in Banchory) - must ask if they know of a local Buddha ;)
LOL, they won't, I've just joined Banchory this month, having moved here last year, it's not my home club, tho that is also quite close by. Banchory is a great wee course, with one of the best clubhouses in the NE (y)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there any other similar thing where a non booking system is better? Or even debated?

Would love to turn up to the doctors, put my ball in the chute. Maybe a nice restaurant.
You can't get a doctors appointment at my surgery unless you are one of the miniscule few to get through at 8am before the book is full at 08:00 and 5 seconds.
You might get an appointment after 4 days, by which time there's no need as youre either in hospital or paid to see someone elsewhere.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Turn up at 1015 to maybe play at 1200…sod that!
That's how it is. It's rare that we require more than 8 tee times so that's just over an hour from first to last tee off. And we all understand that that's the deal. That said I can ask for an early draw if I have a pressing reason, but we only make such a request on rare occasions where we have an unusual circumstance that day. If I have a later time we the to go the range for 15-30mins and hit a bucket of balls and/or have something to eat or drink. Indeed some who draw one of first three times will often swap with others drawn later be wise they wish to go to range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We are going to trial no booking at weekends in April so we'll go back to drawn balls at 7.45 for an 8.00 start. If its a big field we'll split in two and go off the 10th too. People know when they arrive at 7.45 they may have a wait if they are in a later group. If people have a need to get back early we can usually accommodate it and put their ball in an early group

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
That's how it is. It's rare that we require more than 8 tee times so that's just over an hour from first to last tee off. And we all understand that that's the deal. That said I can ask for an early draw if I have a pressing reason, but we only make such a request on rare occasions where we have an unusual circumstance that day. If I have a later time we the to go the range for 15-30mins and hit a bucket of balls and/or have something to eat or drink. Indeed some who draw one of first three times will often swap with others drawn later be wise they wish to go to range.

Obviously, you wouldn't put your ball in the chute until all 4 in a group are next to tee and ready right?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are going to trial no booking at weekends in April so we'll go back to drawn balls at 7.45 for an 8.00 start. If its a big field we'll split in two and go off the 10th too. People know when they arrive at 7.45 they may have a wait if they are in a later group. If people have a need to get back early we can usually accommodate it and put their ball in an early group

So does that mean you close the course for all others until you’ve all turned 9 holes then?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Obviously, you wouldn't put your ball in the chute until all 4 in a group are next to tee and ready right?
We make the draw for fours and tee times at 10:15am. As the tee is reserved for us we don't have to all be by the 1st tee - we just go to it shortly in advance of our drawn tee time - or more often we are already there having a few practice putts as the practice putting green is by the 1st tee. I, and many others, rather prefer to tee off about 3rd or 4th group as that gives us time to hit a few balls on the range...something I know that I should do before going out but often don't.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got email today to say the tee booking system will be halted from 1st April.
They discussed a hybrid system but rejected it.
It’s what got the most votes 46%.
Booking system 38%
The rest went for a hybrid system.
So back to pre Covid for us.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Booking system 38%
I suspect that some, perhaps many, of your members may find that they were wearing rose-tinted glasses when voting - specially if more members are playing more often than was the case pre-pandemic.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect that some, perhaps many, of your members may find that they were wearing rose-tinted glasses when voting - specially if more members are playing more often than was the case pre-pandemic.
So many booking tee times and just not turning up.
I went up a few times when the tee sheet was full to find there was nobody there.
Lots of complaints but no action.
It was no surprise to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So many booking tee times and just not turning up.
I went up a few times when the tee sheet was full to find there was nobody there.
Lots of complaints but no action.
It was no surprise to me.
So the problem was the memberships abuse of the booking system and failure to apply appropriate sanctions. Doesn't really tell you whether the booking system works for club and membership if used properly. Other observations re split vote also. As said I suspect that some will roll up and 'ball in chute' will find it less attractive than when they viewed it retrospectively through rose-tinted glasses. Especially if, as is the case in my club, more members wish to play more often, and more wish to play weekends, and maybe both days.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booking system 38%
So does that not actually mean the 54% majority voted for some kind of booking system?
It's such a flawed vote that I'm not sure how they make any sense of it. If the results were 50% no booking, 50% booking and 0% hybrid system, then I'd still say hybrid system would be the best option since the votes were an even split - even though hybrid system gets no votes. :LOL: They should have just had the two options on what you prefer and decreed that if neither of them got more than 55% of the vote then they'd go hybrid. ??‍♂️

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So does that not actually mean the 54% majority voted for some kind of booking system?
Some just could not be arsed.
But the ones who voted for a hybrid system voted for no bookings as well as bookings so 54% is not correct.
Under a hybrid system there is still a lot of time to just roll up but gives consideration to those who need to book.
So hard to tell what the ones who voted hybrid mainly wanted.
Just shows if you give people a free vote there is always a suprize.
Imo hybrid would be best but you can’t please everyone.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the problem was the memberships abuse of the booking system and failure to apply appropriate sanctions. Doesn't really tell you whether the booking system works for club and membership if used properly. Other observations re split vote also. As said I suspect that some will roll up and 'ball in chute' will find it less attractive than when they viewed it retrospectively through rose-tinted glasses. Especially if, as is the case in my club, more members wish to play more often, and more wish to play weekends, and maybe both days.
Yes imo both were at fault.
We have a booking system for the comps but that’s it now.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes imo both were at fault.
If we had returned to no booking as we had pre covid I think it would have resulted in chaos, and a lot of frustrated and angry members. I was one who wanted us to return to pre covid situation and see how it went before having a vote, but that didn't happen as I think we knew of likely chaos.

As it happens our vote was solidly for keeping booking. A surprise ... for me anyway. Yes we do have serious pressure on weekend times - mornings and early pm especially - that in itself is causing frustration. But that is the cost of having a full and vigorous playing membership.

Perhaps the annswer to pressure on booking weekend tee times is for us is to reduce our membership numbers quite significantly and fill the financial shortfall through increased subs plus more visitors and societies through the week and possibly weekend afternoons - but that would be a significant change to the club business model which is currently very member focussed.

Certainly I am ok and not too disappointed that we have stuck with booking. The system seems pretty well managed and there is little abuse of it by members.

D

Deleted member 21258

It's such a flawed vote that I'm not sure how they make any sense of it. If the results were 50% no booking, 50% booking and 0% hybrid system, then I'd still say hybrid system would be the best option since the votes were an even split - even though hybrid system gets no votes. :LOL: They should have just had the two options on what you prefer and decreed that if neither of them got more than 55% of the vote then they'd go hybrid. ??‍♂️

yeah a naughty vote, should have been a simple tee times or no tee times vote.

Or if you are going to allow '3rd option' ie. the Hybrid vote, then a follow up question of if hybrid not voted though, tee time or no time times vote needed.