BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its become common place to denounce the UK for its colonial past but many of the people in the old days of 'Keyna', Nigeria etc 'enjoyed' their lives on 'white' farms. Of course, like elsewhere, there were good bosses and tyrants just as there was in the Mills up't North and on the country estates

Many of the citizens of ex-colonial nations aren't doing too well with fraud and corruption widespread. We have to be careful saying we should aplogise for our past; much of what was done may have been with the best intentions of that time

Do not get the idea that I am saying the BLM movement are wrong or not deserving of support but we should not assume that Britain's abroad were all tyrants who did not care. Salvery was wrong and abhorrent but for some their lives were better than they might have been.

Modern day slavery by families bringing young people into their homes as cleaners etc and many a Eastern European is 'traded in today's world

We must not be blinkered in our views and focus - exploitation of any human must be called out for the inhumanity that it is.
The discussion seems to have moved on from BLM but if there was a dislike button I would use it. The first bit is nonsense.
The Empire wasn’t some altruistic Victorian project, it was a grubby, land grab. Some of the issues (not all) still facing these ex colonies relate back to the imperial pillage. Nations, especially in Africa were arbitrarily formed & borders drawn as lines in a map. This is partly why many of those nations are riven by corruption, nepotism because they’re artificial constructs. There’s talk on this thread of rewriting history, this is the worst example.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that statue should have been removed legally but it was erected in the first place due to philanthropy, not to celebrate his economic success. You are stretching that point a tad far imo.
It was erected because he gave all his cash to the city of Bristol. In the absence of the welfare state, this cash fed & housed the poor. Nothing more complex than a fella who is complicit in killing 17k people spending his cash probably saving a few more

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was erected because he gave all his cash to the city of Bristol. In the absence of the welfare state, this cash fed & housed the poor. Nothing more complex than a fella who is complicit in killing 17k people spending his cash probably saving a few more
Not sure that quite balances the scales but I get what you mean.

D

Deleted member 1740

The Beatles should be banned :mad: Penny Lane was named after a slaver and therefore to carry on listening to The Beatles, you're actively encouraging racism. I urge every sane minded individual to join me at 8pm tonight in burning every LP, cassete and CD of said band you have in your possession!

Seriously this is getting out of control - I can see both sides to it. I attended a really peaceful, genuinely inspiring and eye opening BLM gathering a few days ago. The message of justice and celebrating this countries black history was heard loud and clear. I'm absolutely in favour of some of the worst slave traders statues being removed and displayed in museums. They should be replaced with a mixture of more respectable historical figures with an emphasis on BAME culture. It's genuinely disgraceful to see statues of men who played a role in killing thousands of slaves staring out over the country, while we're saying we're not racist.

However we weren't the instigators of the slave trade. We did play a key role in the peak of it but we were also the first superpower to recognise it was wrong and petition for it be to abolished. That decision saved hundreds of thousands of lives. You have to be very careful about applying morality of today, to 300-400 years ago. And if Africa had been a superpower, theres no doubt they wouldn've plundered Spain and Portugal and sold white people as slaves. It's a crime of it's era. While it doesn't make it right, you have to apply context to it. It's a dark chapter of our history and should be remembered as such.

Anyone can see these protests in London especially, have been hijacked by the far left and a violent element in the community. The Police have been under strong orders not to engage, which has been wrong. It's given these factions increased confidence and as a result, we're going to see widescale disorder in London on Saturday. BoJo, Kahn and the Met topbrass have got this badly wrong. You've got the BBC describing a protest as peaceful when 49 Police officers were injured! Throw in Police attacked in the street with gaggles of pondlife on the sides cheering, war memorials vandalised and plans drawn up to damage more....the people committing these crimes are too stupid to realise they're only gonna cost themselves in the medium, and long run as public sympathy vanishes :rolleyes:

It wasn’t.

4LEX

Visit site
Get the beers in. Some chips and dips and whack on Sky News Saturday late afternoon. The battle the media have itched for is going to happen.

And thank Sadiq Khan :ROFLMAO:

4LEX

Visit site
It wasn’t.

Your whole city was founded on the slave trade mate. If it wasn't you'd be as famous and wealthy as Widnes.

"Penny Lane is a street famous worldwide thanks to The Beatles 1967 hit, but the south Liverpool street owes its name to an outspoken Liverpool slave ship owner and staunch anti-abolitionist. James Penny was a Liverpool merchant who made his money from the transportation of slaves."

NEXT.

D

Deleted member 1740

Your whole city was founded on the slave trade mate. If it wasn't you'd be as famous and wealthy as Widnes.

"Penny Lane is a street famous worldwide thanks to The Beatles 1967 hit, but the south Liverpool street owes its name to an outspoken Liverpool slave ship owner and staunch anti-abolitionist. James Penny was a Liverpool merchant who made his money from the transportation of slaves."

NEXT.

You don't need to tell me about the history of my own city. See this link specifically about Penny Lane.

https://theprioryandthecastironshor...med-after-the-slave-merchant-james-penny/amp/

D

Deleted member 1740

Your whole city's wealth is gained from the slave trade, mate. Liverpool was a nothing port untill the slave trade exploded. Can't you accept the blame for once, for anything?

I know it was and that’s not been questioned or denied. I specifically pulled you on the Penny Lane as there’s no actual evidence of it being named after him. If you read the link you’ll learn something.

What’s that last bit supposed to mean?

D

Deleted member 1740

Isn't it named after James Penny, a Liverpool merchant who made his money from the transportation of slaves. So it was named after someone involved in slave trade??‍♂️

Edit... Just beaten to it by the above posts..

Read the link I’ve posted. At the time it’s believed To be named after him, all around that area was countryside.

There’s a suggestion that the bridge was a toll and cost a penny to cross it.

4LEX

Visit site
I've got nothing against Liverpool or Bristol but we have to accept the rise of each city was linked to slavers. I've already said the context of history should be applied and it's nowhere near as bad as the current gaggle of left leaning lunatics are accusing. But to try and deny it just looks really petty.

Your view point is like saying Colston traded in diamonds, gold and ivory mostly and slaves were unproven.

Liverpool is one of my favourite cities for a night out and I love the place, the people but you can't deny the slavers link. I know it doesn't fit in with the recent anti government and left leaning politics of the city but it's in bricks, mortar and street names.

Wolf

Visit site
Read the link I’ve posted. At the time it’s believed To be named after him, all around that area was countryside.

There’s a suggestion that the bridge was a toll and cost a penny to cross it.
I read it and it disproves nothing, you could argue it also proves nothing but it does confirm one of your own councillors wanted it renamed because of it.

D

Deleted member 1740

I've got nothing against Liverpool or Bristol but we have to accept the rise of each city was linked to slavers. I've already said the context of history should be applied and it's nowhere near as bad as the current gaggle of left leaning lunatics are accusing. But to try and deny it just looks really petty.

Your view point is like saying Colston traded in diamonds, gold and ivory mostly and slaves were unproven.

Liverpool is one of my favourite cities for a night out and I love the place, the people but you can't deny the slavers link. I know it doesn't fit in with the recent anti government and left leaning politics of the city but it's in bricks, mortar and street names.

Nobody has denied any links to slavery, there’s numerous bits in the museum acknowledging the city’s involvement with the slave trade etc.

There’s no evidence it’s named after him, and that’s why I’ve disputed what you posted and i’ve given you a link.

You've still not clarified the meaning of your previous question, although I’ve got an idea the meaning.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your whole city's wealth is gained from the slave trade, mate. Liverpool was a nothing port untill the slave trade exploded. Can't you accept the blame for once, for anything?
Why should Stu accept blame for the slave trade hundreds of years ago.
That’s really disrespectful.
There is no evidence it was or wasn’t named after Penny!
But if the name fits 2+2=5.

Status
Not open for further replies.