BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read it and it disproves nothing, you could argue it also proves nothing but it does confirm one of your own councillors wanted it renamed because of it.
Councillors are wrong sometimes.
Normally to name a street after somebody there would be a minuted record but it dosnt exist.
I think a bit of proof would be a minimum requirement before changing names .
If it’s proven then fair enough

D

Deleted member 1740

I read it and it disproves nothing, you could argue it also proves nothing but it does confirm one of your own councillors wanted it renamed because of it.

Theres no evidence it was named after him, though i acknowledge there's a possibility it is. But seeing as theres no record's or proof then I'm right?

Councillors aren"t the sharpest tools in the box just look at the those running the country!! ?

I'm against discarding history, changing names and removing landmarks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
His great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was James Penny. His full name is actually Stu C Penny. :p

Can't see any other reason he'd have to accept the blame for it.
The lawyers are sharpening their pencils.
Any council that wants to change street names with only hearsay as proof will be lining the pockets of said lawyers.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Renaming Penny Lane would end the huge disappointment faced by coach loads of Japanese tourists every day as they arrive, cameras ready, excited to see a wonderful magical place and instead see a run down, neglected street that is badly in need of some TLC ?. It's in a nice spot, it's a real shame it isn't better than it actually is.

The port of liverpool grew due to many factors. Slavery was part of that but the importation of food, wood, ores etc from the Caribbean, Africa etc was certainly greater. It played a role, the museum in the city acknowledges that, but it wasn't built on slavery, it was built on trade generally.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Renaming Penny Lane would end the huge disappointment faced by coach loads of Japanese tourists every day as they arrive, cameras ready, excited to see a wonderful magical place and instead see a run down, neglected street that is badly in need of some TLC ?.
Haha. Lived around there for 3 years, was always a source of great amusement watching the myth implode!!!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not allowed to watch the "Don't mention the war" episode of Fawlty Towers now!!!
How about all the other episodes where that poor little Spanish waiter Manuel got slapped around the head, or got shouted at??? Unfair on Spaniards. Ban the lot...
You couldn't make it up ffs!!!!
The whole world is going stark raving mad.... ?????

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why should Stu accept blame for the slave trade hundreds of years ago.
That’s really disrespectful.
There is no evidence it was or wasn’t named after Penny!
But if the name fits 2+2=5.
Why should any of us be blamed for our past history but politicians are continually being asked to apologise for our past mostly by other politicians.

Time for everyone to accept history is there for learning, put the statues/monuments away in museums, the places people go when your on holiday and it's raining.

Keep them out there and do what Glasgow are doing and identifying the past.

Places like Belsen Auswitch and other concentration camps are out there for a reason, nobody wants those camps pulled down and artefacts stored in a museum.

D

Deleted member 16999

Your whole city's wealth is gained from the slave trade, mate. Liverpool was a nothing port untill the slave trade exploded. Can't you accept the blame for once, for anything?
You’re a a very silly person who knows nothing about the history of the City, it was already trading as a Port to the Americas some 50-100 years before the first slave ship sailed from there.

Yes it benefited from the slave trade, but was no way it’s whole wealth was based on it.

And your blame comment is out of order, you know exactly what you’re insinuating.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not allowed to watch the "Don't mention the war" episode of Fawlty Towers now!!!
How about all the other episodes where that poor little Spanish waiter Manuel got slapped around the head, or got shouted at??? Unfair on Spaniards. Ban the lot...
Agreed, I believe it’s been pulled pending a review. It stuff like this that grabs headlines & devalues any valid message.

On a related note, watched 13th this AM. That’s the kind of info that should be the discussion. The ongoing monetisation of the US justice system and treatment of the ‘resource’ there in.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why should any of us be blamed for our past history but politicians are continually being asked to apologise for our past mostly by other politicians.

Time for everyone to accept history is there for learning, put the statues/monuments away in museums, the places people go when your on holiday and it's raining.

Keep them out there and do what Glasgow are doing and identifying the past.

Places like Belsen Auswitch and other concentration camps are out there for a reason, nobody wants those camps pulled down and artefacts stored in a museum.
There’s a subtle difference, statues are a glorification, not sure the same could be said of Auschwitz.
Most rational voices I’ve heard want a discussion about the celebration of historical figures not removal from history. You can’t understand where we are without knowing how we got here

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a subtle difference, statues are a glorification, not sure the same could be said of Auschwitz.
Most rational voices I’ve heard want a discussion about the celebration of historical figures not removal from history. You can’t understand where we are without knowing how we got here
I agree.
But it’s difficult to discus where to put a statue that’s at the bottom of the harbour.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's sad that there are loads of reminders of how bad things were, but these things should not be treated as things that need to be removed. They are our history, which informs us of how our country has developed and become what it is now. A multi cultural place that treats everyone the same. (hopefully). To go around removing and destroying these things would be detriment to our culture and history.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

And ironically it’s the Germans that make Basil out to be the fool, rather than being the victims of his bigoted behaviour, but let’s ban it without fully thinking it through. I give up.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A mob ripping down or defacing statues is not a discussion.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's part of our history. I think the point what people miss is that its not history that defines us and our generation. It's how we act and how we treat other people that defines us.

We need to understand and learn from the past to know what to do in the future. Be that through statues in the streets, or statues in a museum. It shouldn't be through statues that have been vandalized and thrown into the water.

It's our job to educate those who's time is yet to come so that they understand what is right and wrong. It's wrong to believe that in a civilized society you can get what you want by rioting and vandalism. In a civilized society you get what you want by having good values and working hard. I think that today in the UK we have, and are still making progress (we are not be there yet) so that irrespective of color, if you work hard and have good values you can succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.