BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Do you know what. After I wrote that I thought what a sad state of affairs. it's OK to possibly cause offence to white person with a racist term but didn't dare use the "n" word incase I was caused offence elsewhere

The yoghurt knitters will tell you we just after take it on the chin, after donning sack cloth and ashes of course.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Do you know what. After I wrote that I thought what a sad state of affairs. it's OK to possibly cause offence to white person with a racist term but didn't dare use the "n" word incase I was caused offence elsewhere

Words have meanings, both current and historical, when used in certain contexts. Some swear words are stronger than others, some descriptions of people based on their colour are stronger than others, again based on context and historical 'baggage' for want of a better word . Therefore some will cause more offense than others.

Traminator

Visit site
Well it appears now that Francis Drake is on the "black" list. I suspect they will need more people than were in Bristol if they fancy their chances in Plymouth. Interesting times.
Jeepers ?
Not just his statue(s), Drake's Island (an actual island ?), Drake's Circus shopping centre, HMS DRAKE Naval establishment.... The place is Drake central.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Going back to the Robert Milligan Statue, who's annoyed it was ripped down?

Actually it was carefully removed by workmen as opposed to being ripped down by the mob

Never heard of the bloke, but clearly belongs in a museum somewhere where people can be educated about the past mistakes that were taken as normal in days gone by

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Actually it was carefully removed by workmen as opposed to being ripped down by the mob

Never heard of the bloke, but clearly belongs in a museum somewhere where people can be educated about the past mistakes that were taken as normal in days gone by

I've walked past it probably 10000x. Never really knew it was there. I can see why people are annoyed that statues were defaced and ripped down, but how are people annoyed about this?

I see a lot of people posting that we are now erasing history, and using this as an example. I'm not sure if they are aware the statue is 10m in-front of a free museum, with a disturbing "sugar and spice" exhibit showing the crimes against humanity of the slave trade.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've walked past it probably 10000x. Never really knew it was there. I can see why people are annoyed that statues were defaced and ripped down, but how are people annoyed about this?

I see a lot of people posting that we are now erasing history, and using this as an example. I'm not sure if they are aware the statue is 10m in-front of a free museum, with a disturbing "sugar and spice" exhibit showing the crimes against humanity of the slave trade.
I'm currently fighting a one man battle on another forum on the whole issue of statues. My oppo's are all adamant this is some Orwellian attempt at rewriting history, to change the past. I can't get through to them that a/ the statues are offensive to many b/ history is not being airbrushed, it is moving statues from places of honour and into museums.

Put them in museums, have info about the good and bad that these people did. Let people judge and learn that way.

My head is really hurting from the banging against a wall that is happening on this ?.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
So a black person calling a white bloke a cracker is different from a white person calling a black the "n" word?
Nope. That isn’t what I’m saying at all. Not in the slightest...
What I’m saying is that taking 1 incident and using it to state that there is a widespread issue is wrong.

I think there can be very little doubt that America (and to a lesser degree, The UK) has a systemic problem with White on Black Racism. It would be difficult to say that there was a systemic Black on White issue as the White population is the significant majority and controls the levers of power.

Therefore, the comparison between localised weather and global climate is valid. One is a symptom. The other is a disease.

For the absolute avoidance of doubt, and I’m not sure why I’m bothering to explain this, every incident of racism is WRONG. However, some are isolated incidents and some are societal problems.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think I will agree to disagree, both sides have major issues.

And almost dismissing one sides concerns aren't going to get this debate or the problem solved.

All sides need to be honest and upfront with each other EDIT and look to move forward rather than backwards at things that can not be undone
I don’t think we have to agree to disagree. I think we’d probably agree almost entirely. However I think that you may have misinterpreted my post. Maybe my fault. It may not have been as succinct as I thought it was ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sounds to me that there is already a perfect place for the statue to be relocated to. Put it into that exhibit with the relevant explanation.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
and breathe ....

the point I was making is that this place is mainly populated by older white males, who as a demographic tend to be more reactionary than society as a whole, so I expect to see those kind of views expressed here. And the usual suspects never fail to deliver.

However, even allowing for this, I found it very poor to see BLM protesters dismissed as "rioters" along with some comments which were frankly racist.

In your opinion. And someone posted on here that they didn't think anyone on here had been called racist. Feel free, I know I'm not and never have been,

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm currently fighting a one man battle on another forum on the whole issue of statues. My oppo's are all adamant this is some Orwellian attempt at rewriting history, to change the past. I can't get through to them that a/ the statues are offensive to many b/ history is not being airbrushed, it is moving statues from places of honour and into museums.

Put them in museums, have info about the good and bad that these people did. Let people judge and learn that way.

My head is really hurting from the banging against a wall that is happening on this ?.

Bring back the Jimmy Saville statue I say!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
i don’t get what was racist about the incident. Do white people not suffer from the hands of police brutality!?
Why aren’t they marching against police brutality?

I’d understand all the commotion if there was clear racism but i haven’t seen or heard it on any video evidence.

If he was white would most people care? I wouldn’t. A criminal.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sounds to me that there is already a perfect place for the statue to be relocated to. Put it into that exhibit with the relevant explanation.

Excellent suggestion, however I think the offended parties that are saying “put them in a museum” are merely paying lip service and would like them destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.