BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am into putting some statues into museums. However, I am not in the 'replace them with something else' camp. Some of the London Mayors suggestions are just daft. There have been injustices, for sure, but they need rectifying, not a statue. Windrush? Give them citizenship, not a bronze.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm currently fighting a one man battle on another forum on the whole issue of statues. My oppo's are all adamant this is some Orwellian attempt at rewriting history, to change the past. I can't get through to them that a/ the statues are offensive to many b/ history is not being airbrushed, it is moving statues from places of honour and into museums.

Put them in museums, have info about the good and bad that these people did. Let people judge and learn that way.

My head is really hurting from the banging against a wall that is happening on this ?.
I do agree with you .
But what about the Roman Empire Colleseaum and all the things like it around the world.
Will it be frowned upon to visit such sites or will it be treated like German POW camps.

D

Deleted member 16999

I do agree with you .
But what about the Roman Empire Colleseaum and all the things like it around the world.
Will it be frowned upon to visit such sites or will it be treated like German POW camps.
How about we deal with our own statues/monuments etc without trying to somehow link it to the rest of the world, ie, how about we let the Italians decide on the Coliseum or the Egyptians on the pyramids.

Traminator

Visit site
It's getting worse.
London Zoo has confirmed that the zebras ? are boycotting all music ? by the White Stripes as it's "not inclusive" ?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about we deal with our own statues/monuments etc without trying to somehow link it to the rest of the world, ie, how about we let the Italians decide on the Coliseum or the Egyptians on the pyramids.
Or, we could recognise that a Statue is usually a tribute to an individual, and a historic site or building is usually not.... ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best not go too far back in UK history. The vast majority of workers in Britain 100 or so years ago did not live a life of milk and honey. 200 years ago conditions were pretty horrible!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Along with the mayor of Bristol and his Superintendent
I wish they would take a dislike to the City centre that the Mayor has desicrated, it was such a lovely place and now looks like a sewage treatment works after its multi million update. Hes not popular with Bristolians to put it mildly.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Shame people didn’t think like this when they started kicking off over something that a police officer did on the other side of the world.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do agree with you .
There is a level of complication about this, no doubt. My own, admittedly inconsistent view, is that statues are different to buildings. Add to that I have a timescale cut off, this is where the inconsistency really kicks in ?. I can rationalise that ancient Rome is a world away from people now. Other historical figures and buildings I can do the same for, pyramids was given as an example.

Slavers of the era being discussed had an influence on more modern times and that means a statue for them becomes too uncomfortable.

I accept there are holes in this, it doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny, but it feels wrong where a statue of Boudicca doesn't have the same impact or cause distress to others.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i don’t get what was racist about the incident. Do white people not suffer from the hands of police brutality!?
Why aren’t they marching against police brutality?

I’d understand all the commotion if there was clear racism but i haven’t seen or heard it on any video evidence.

If he was white would most people care? I wouldn’t. A criminal.
I have to admit, I didn't see any obvious racism in the video footage. The cop was clearly in the wrong and deserves what he gets. But was there more to this? Is it presumed racism? It looked like straight forward police brutality to me. Like I said I've not diced deep into this video so forgive me if I've missed something

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is a level of complication about this, no doubt. My own, admittedly inconsistent view, is that statues are different to buildings. Add to that I have a timescale cut off, this is where the inconsistency really kicks in ?. I can rationalise that ancient Rome is a world away from people now. Other historical figures and buildings I can do the same for, pyramids was given as an example.

Slavers of the era being discussed had an influence on more modern times and that means a statue for them becomes too uncomfortable.

I accept there are holes in this, it doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny, but it feels wrong where a statue of Boudicca doesn't have the same impact or cause distress to others.

Bomber Harris...An important part of our history, helped us win the war, National Hero... but bombing civilians!!...A wreath on Nov 11 or into the drink with him?

Not easy is it?

D

Deleted member 16999

Shame people didn’t think like this when they started kicking off over something that a police officer did on the other side of the world.
Millions probably did and didn’t want to get involved in trying to prove they are racist or not, or saying the politically correct/neutral thing on a Golf Forum populated by a majority of white middle/old aged men.

Status
Not open for further replies.